PDA

View Full Version : emergency

frank_zappa
06-09-2009, 01:58 AM
my L387 is dying. his stomach is bloated. he was laying on his side when i got home from work...is there anything i can do for it? i will test the water right now and come back with numbers quickly

Northernguy
06-09-2009, 02:05 AM
What has it been eating lately?

frank_zappa
06-09-2009, 02:14 AM
ammonia- 0

nitrates- 40
nitrites- 0
hardness- 50
alkalinity- 180
pH- 6.8

water temp.

it is struggling very badly..i think i may need to put it in ice water. i do not know what happened. i have been looking at it a lot the past couple of days and it has looked healthy. the stomach looks slightly bloated. im not sure if there is anything at all i can do. i will wait a few minutes. im going to do a water change. im not sure how the nitrates got up that high

frank_zappa
06-09-2009, 02:16 AM
ive had him a little over a week. right at lights out i always drop in a small little broken off piece of a hikari algae wafer. does it sound like a parasite? did i do something wrong

frank_zappa
06-09-2009, 02:29 AM
i just did a 30% water change....it was all i had ready to go. im getting some more water ready now. he is resting on the bottom, right side up, but occasionally swims around struggling very badly. i am not sure what i should do, whether to give him a chance, whether there is anything i can do for him, or if i should just humanely end his suffering.

frank_zappa
06-09-2009, 03:13 AM
i just ended it for him because it was too much of a struggle.

i took a close look at him while netted and saw on his side a red mark. does this look like an injury or is it a sign of some type of sickness? it is too late for this fish but i want to know what i did wrong.

Gayle
06-09-2009, 03:15 AM
what sort of red mark???

frank_zappa
06-09-2009, 03:20 AM
it is visible there in the photo....but it looked almost like a small amount of blood. i am wondering if he scraped himself. it looked fine this morning. i think i even have photos from yesterday that show no signs of this

Gayle
06-09-2009, 03:44 AM
I have seen that before, just not sure where. My first thought is ammonia burn, but that is just a thought. It could have been a scrape as well that got a secondary bacterial infection. I will look and see what I can find, but you may want to ask Dave66 he is much better with this sort of thing than I am.

I am sorry for your loss.

William
06-09-2009, 03:46 AM
Sorry for you loss.

frank_zappa
06-09-2009, 03:50 AM
i just looked at a bunch of photos that i took of him just yesterday, and there were no signs of that red mark. i had been watching him a lot yesterday because i had freaked out when two of my photos looked like he had ich, but it was just a speck or something because he had no signs of anything like that when i looked at him. i looked at him really closely. in fact, i looked at him closely right before i left my house at 5pm today and he was fine, and when i got home at 9 he had that red mark on him. im wondering if he scraped himself on one of the broken clay pots in my tank. they do have a little edge to them.

that photo isnt the best, i know, but does it look like anything else?

Gayle
06-09-2009, 03:53 AM
He could have, but it would have been more of an open wound if it only happened today. That is why I am leaning towards some sort of burn, or possible bacteria. I know I have seen this before I just really can not find where. He may have burned himself on the heater too.

frank_zappa
06-09-2009, 03:58 AM
the water quality is ok, isnt it? i recently added a java fern. also, ive been using tap when before i used spring or RO. that may be why my nitrates went up. i never did see him by the heater, but it is possible because he was often difficult to find.

whatever it was, it happened very quickly. he appeared to be fine just 5 hours earlier. i was very excited about that fish and spent a bunch of time looking at him or for him.

Northernguy
06-09-2009, 04:00 AM
Sorry bout the fish!
I am leaning towards the heater too.
How long has your tank been cycled?
Do you have any driftwood in the tank?

frank_zappa
06-09-2009, 05:13 AM
the tank has been running since february. there is a piece of driftwood in the tank, yes. could you explain the ammonia burn? my test strip didnt show any ammonia....and thanks for all the sympathy. i wish i knew what happened. the heater burn sounds possible, but perhaps i am saying that so i do not feel responsible...he looked healthy to me earlier today

Northernguy
06-09-2009, 01:11 PM
When was the last time you saw it eat?
You can buy a plastic sleeve to cover the heater and eliminate the risk again.

frank_zappa
06-09-2009, 01:37 PM
i will pick up a sleeve today. to tell you the truth i never really saw him eat, because i always dropped in a little bit of algae wafer right at lights out.

Northernguy
06-09-2009, 01:40 PM
If you get another try feeding it cucumber,romain lettuce,spinach.green peas...They need a variety in their diet like all fish.It helps to keep them healthy and clean out their system.

frank_zappa
06-09-2009, 01:55 PM
thanks for the advice...im going back to the place where i got him. i may pick up another if they have very small ones, im not sure. if i do i will be sure to give it and my bn's more variety. i gave them a couple canned green beans last night...i will grab some cucumber and zucchini and try that.

Northernguy
06-09-2009, 02:01 PM
That sounds great!
Use a fork and keep the tines pointing down .It will hold the greens down.