PDA

View Full Version : Care for "fancy" bettas

SouthernGal0682
03-09-2007, 02:34 PM
I was in the LFS yesterday with grandma and she wants to get a betta. She has had them before and they usually stay around for about 2 years (she says). But, she has seen all the different "breeds" of bettas now and doesn't just want the common veil tail that is found in all the local stores. I want to try to get her a nice, fancy betta but before I do so my question is....Do these fancy bettas such as the crown tails, double tails, half moon tails, etc. require any extra care or are they just as easy to take care of as the regular veil tails?

Betta_noob
03-09-2007, 03:41 PM
Well for starters keep in mind that all the other tail types are going to be more expensive.
Ok..Crown tails, basically need pristine water conditions, constantly other wise their crown points start to curl and wilt.
The other ones that you mentioned some times tend to have such heavy finnage and if you put any of those guys in a big tank can actually wear them out. (trust me some of those guys have waaayyy to much finnage for their body) not to mention if you get a filtered tank (yay) you've also got to make sure it's a lower current because lot of the bigger tailed bettas have as I discussed gigantic fins and are even more likely to get pushed around by a current or get sucked up by it.

Rue
03-09-2007, 04:16 PM
...I have CT...he's gorgeous...

Just talk your Grandmother into a larger, filtered and heated tank...with a couple of soft plants...

...the betta will be a much happier camper!