PDA

View Full Version : Featherfin Squeaker

Lady Hobbs
03-09-2007, 01:37 PM
Is anyone familiar with these catfish? I have 2 and have a question about them.

Two months ago I thought one had fungus so treated him. At the time I thought it didn't really look like fungus but he was marked with white marks but not fluzzy looking like fungus is. The white marks were also very bright white and not just off white.

Anyway, since then he has been just fine but separate from the other featherfin. With my new cycling going on, they were put back together and sure enough.......here he is with white marks again. One long one down his whole side and another on his head.

I am now thinking they are fighting and he has battle scars! He chases the other one constantly but is the beat up looking one.

Are these guys not compatibile with one another? Both are still small----like 3 inches. If you have any experience, will you share?

sanddigger
03-13-2007, 09:01 PM
I had two featherfins, which were constantly fighting each other after they were about 4 inches long. (I did read awhile back that they can be very territorial within their own species) I eventually had to give one to a friend. Sad day for me. I just couldn't stand to see the beatings anymore. Both also showed some white marks on their bodies and their barbs looked white on the ends and bent. I too figured it was from all the fights.

The one I have is doing just fine now and very happy. He even comes out when I drop algae wafers in the daylight like he's saying "HI". He's about a year old. I think they are very beautiful, graceful and their fins are marvelous. Featherfins and petricolas are my favorites out of the synos.

Lady Hobbs
03-13-2007, 11:19 PM
Figured at much. They will have to be separated then. Thanks

Fishguy2727
03-14-2007, 01:05 AM
I have noticed it when there is a size difference, but they should be fine together, at least if they grow up together. But every case is different and it definitely sounds like they need to be separated.

Lady Hobbs
03-14-2007, 09:06 AM
I do like them and more than my coreys. They are pretty awesome when they're tearing around the place with that fin erect.

crackatinny
03-14-2007, 09:59 AM
Never heard of that one hobbs, I had to do a google to see what they look like.

Check out this link to see what comments other owners have about them, seems the fighting gets mixed comments here.
http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_feather.php