PDA

View Full Version : Help: Growing Algae

Openeye
06-08-2009, 02:29 PM
Alright. I know this goes contrary to most threads in this forum screaming for help eliminating aglae, but I would like some advice on how to grow a thick colony of Algae. Specifically green hair algae, a freshwater strain of epiphytic Chlorophyta, and if I could even get more specific, freshwater epiphytic Cladophora.

I know they require high levels of light, and a greater ratio of N to P. But is there any way to encourage these particular species are cutivated over undesired types? I would hate to make ideal grow conditions just to create a colony of diatoms.

Also is there a way to help them stay "rooted" after they have been established if you turn up the circulation? Would glueing some sort of subtrate to the glass help(while trying to maintain good light conditions)?

Would I be able to just transplant an existing "wild" strain into my tank? I'm from the Great Lakes region orginally and I know that several hardy strains grow naturally there. Would they take to being transplanted and encourage future growth? Given the problems people have getting rid of it I would think it would work. If I was to do that though, would the species acclimated to the colder waters of Michigan be able to survive in standard tropical water temperatures? Also if I were to use this transplanted algae, how would I clean it so that I didn't have to worry about unwanted hitch-hikers, but still maintain the viablility of the transplant?

Gayle
06-08-2009, 03:13 PM
Well I am really no good with this sort of stuff at all. But the things that came to mind were direct sunlight, like put the tank in front of a window. And I took some algae out of my pond and put it in my tadpole tank, I kept some of the rocks it was already attached to, and it is doing just fine. I know my tadpole tank is a bit different than a fish tank, but the water conditions are pretty close. And my tadpole tank is in front of a window. As far as hitch hickers, I just sorta thumbed through it and pulled out anything I saw. You could rinse it with buckets of water from the natural source.

Red
06-08-2009, 03:17 PM
Why on earth what you want hair algae LOL.
No clue how to get it, I am more a preventable person. I think you answerd your own question though, you need high lights and more N to P.