PDA

View Full Version : african dwarf frog

RedScrapper
03-09-2007, 06:34 AM
i have an african dwarf frog that is about an inch and a half and he lives in a 2 gallon air stone tank. lately i have noticed a cotton type film on him, some on the tip of his face. i also noticed that after feeding him i find the food the next day with cotton on it and he lays on it. i am not sure what to do or what medication will be most effective. i believe it is a fungus. anyone have a suggestion. his tank is around 75 degrees.
thanks

kimmers318
03-09-2007, 12:26 PM
That is strange, anytime I have ever noticed any kind of film on my adf's they have shed their skin soon after. Not too much information out there about how to treat a frog for any illness so proceed with caution. One website recommended salt instead of fungal meds at a rate of 1 tbsp to 3-5 gallons water. I would try adding a squirt of stresscoat to see if you can help him build his own defenses and keep his water pristine, doing daily small water changes until he clears up. Unfortunately without a regular filter you are not removing any of the crud daily and just aerating the water until you do water changes. What dechlorinator do you use and how often do you change any water? Try some daily water changes and stresscoat and see if he doesn't start to improve without meds since there is so little known about treating them that I could find. I personally stay away from salt, but the choice is yours.

bettaboy691
03-09-2007, 05:42 PM
do the frog tank have a heater?
they do need warmer water, round about 25-30 oC,
not sure if the air stone does anything useful, as frogs breath from the surface, oxygenated water isnt important, and they like calmer waters, investing in a filter is much better.
like kimmers said, salt would be the best option, not table salt, aquarium salt.
try asking the fish shop what meds they have for frogs?