PDA

View Full Version : Brackish help...

Ashley
06-07-2009, 04:07 PM
Hello,
I have just purchased a community tank that has been running for atleast 3 years. In it there are platys, guppies, gourami, plecos, barbs and tetras. The guy who previously owned it, has made the water brackish. I am wondering why, as I thought these fish that are in the tank are freshwater?! So I am wondering if I can convert it back to freshwater gradually or should I keep up with adding marine salt?

Gayle
06-07-2009, 04:39 PM
Um he had all of them in brackish water??? That is very wierd!! I wonder why he would have done that. Oh well.

I would say that you can go back to freshwater very slowly. If the fish have been living in brackish for 3 years a change to freshwater too quickly can shock them. I would try doing a maybe 20% water change each week and not add salt with the new water. Keep an eye on the fish if they start acting strange you may need to add the salt back and try slower. But 20% each week should be fine. IMO You will also have to clean off the plants and decor as they will have salt deposits. And the substrate after 5 w/cs I would start to clean the substrate a little at a time to get as much of the salt out as you can without messing with the colonies. The filter also will contain salt. It will take a bit of work, but I am sure it will all be fine.

smaug
06-07-2009, 07:59 PM
There are some strange people out there.Just do small water changes over longer then normal times and the salt will slowly go away.What little remains will hurt nothing really.

Ashley
06-07-2009, 11:14 PM
ok, so I got my tank, and aparently he thought he was doing brackish water correctly with aquarium salt!!!!!!! So yes, I will be doing small water changes until there is no salt! Since I had to fill this aquarium as I brought it to my house with very little water, I added some aquarium salt back to the new water, so it wouldn't be a massive shock, but i didn't add a large amount. I'm surprised the plecos didn't die. He told me he put 15 spoonfuls for the entire 110 gals. So I put about 6 (tbsp). The fish seem to be fine, so, hopefully all goes well.

Dragon cqzzzzz<
06-08-2009, 12:22 AM
I can't imagine 15 spoonfulls doing that much. It takes me more than 15 teaspoons of marine salt to get the SG in a 5 gallon bucket low to mid-brackish.

smaug
06-08-2009, 12:37 AM
Thats nothing,15 spoons for a 110.It takes about 2tbs per gal to make brackwater.You will be ok,it doesnt even sound like he had it brackish but simply used salt as a water conditioner crutch as so many do.

Ashley
06-08-2009, 01:27 AM
good to hear! he only used salt in his tank, not even any water conditioner. I wonder how the fish survived, as there is obviously a cycle that is finished in the tank. He must have very low levels of chlorine in his water. The fish are very healthy, so we'll see how things go.

truckin35
08-21-2009, 11:16 AM
he was adding aquarium salt which is not marine salt at all. some people think a little aquarium salt is good for the fish. which i have read about and is not needed. and the fish store i bought my fish told me i needed to use it as well. so you need to do nothing except water changes.