PDA

View Full Version : Just sad

William
06-07-2009, 07:00 AM
Sorry for this little rant. Just emptied the camera and saw this pictures and wanted to rant about how pointless it is to kill snakes like this.

I went to a hotel to relocate snakes the other day. People are getting to know that I like animals, even snakes and I rather take any and all snakes then let the locals kill them (who can blame me if they "accidentally" escape in a for the snakes suitable spot later). Turns out they had "helped me" catch them when I arrived by hitting them in the head. Next time they have promised not to do that. One was alive barely but dead before I got home.

They kill snakes since snakes are dangerous but anyone who knows anything about snakes can tell how "dangerous" the dead snake in the picture is.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/snakedead.jpg

Sure there are deadly snakes here that I understand they don't want in their house but why kills snake like this one who only does good.

/end rant

Sharon
06-07-2009, 10:17 AM
It's just the way people are, sometimes. It IS sad....

fraggle
06-07-2009, 12:08 PM
That is sad.
I don't even like people killing the so called deadly snakes we've got her in Oz. Give em a wide berth and they'll leave you alone. People just are really uninformed I think. They don't know the first thing about them. They seem to think that they all are out to bite and kill humans in particular. I can understand people being a little freaked out about the business end of a snake, but seriously, just leave the thing alone!

That is a python isn't William? Poor thing. I really do think that all snakes are just gorgeous, but I suppose pythons even more so (because they aren't going to kill you if they bite, LOL) and they eat mice and anything that eats mice isa winner in my book!

Lady Hobbs
06-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Because they don't know the kind snake from the not-so-kind. They just kill whatever snake they find to play it safe.

Kaz
06-07-2009, 01:12 PM
And cause everybody knows that snakes are evil, gross, slimey, hateful and dangerous.

Bloody a$$holes.

Northernguy
06-07-2009, 02:02 PM
Its no secret that I am not a big fan of snakes but there is no need to kill them when ever you see them.We have many snakes up here but they are mostly harmless and never a problem.
Hopefully in the future you will get called upon sooner! lol

William
06-07-2009, 05:59 PM
No its a garter snake. Populary given to small kids as pets and the most harmless creature imagenable.

toddnbecka
06-07-2009, 06:13 PM
It's the same thing everywhere, I hate to see harmless/beneficial snakes killed as well. Even poisonous snakes have a right to live, they certainly don't go around looking for people or pets to attack. Ignorance and panic tend to trump common sense or compassion regarding just about any snake though.
A week or two back we were leaving the market and there was a police car parked diagonally in the parking lot lane. As we drove by there was a good-sized black rat snake coiled up, with the officer standing by several feet away. Presumably someone had been called to come and remove the snake. thumbs2:
I was surprised it hadn't been run over in a busy parking lot, whether by accident or intent. I would have moved it out myself if I'd been the one to find it.

gm72
06-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Indeed sad to see. Hopefully you can help educate them so they understand better.

Wild Turkey
06-07-2009, 06:30 PM
Sorry to hear your frustration Will.

I know nothing about snakes in the hobby or your area but one glance at the snakes head revealed to me that it was not dangerous..

Depending on where I am fishing, if I see copperheads I kill them on sight, but I know how to identify them, and if its not a spot where other people frequent, I just keep an eye on them.

Its local practice to drown them into the mud with a stick with a V in the end, as to not get bitten, however as Ive gotten older and hopefully a bit wiser I prefer to dispose of them in more humane ways.

Gayle
06-07-2009, 06:33 PM
You know I have heard so many times that the shape of the pupil in a snakes eyes would say if it was poisonous or not. For one why on earth would you get that close if you had doubts. And for two it is 100% false. The shape of the pupil is only an indicator of when the snake is active. LOL

Wild Turkey
06-07-2009, 06:34 PM
You know I have heard so many times that the shape of the pupil in a snakes eyes would say if it was poisonous or not. For one why on earth would you get that close if you had doubts. And for two it is 100% false. The shape of the pupil is only an indicator of when the snake is active. LOL

For clarification when i say the head I have always heard that a narrow head means probably no venom glands, so not poisonous, a wider head means venom glands so yea...ow lol

Not sure if its always true or not, just what people say. Never heard of the eye thing, maybe there are some snake experts out there somewhere

like this http://www.animalpicturesarchive.com/ArchOLD/1085923994.jpg poisonous

Rue
06-07-2009, 09:33 PM
Yes. Useless killing upsets me as well. And I'm always rather appalled at the pride some people take when they've killed something!

I remember a news article about a man who was happily active (and vocal about) shooting any crow, or related bird, a few years ago when West Nile first made the headlines.

First of all - one man can't kill enough birds to make a dent in the population. Secondly, West Nile isn't a dangerous disease as far as the big picture goes (and I am sympathetic to anyone who has suffered complications from West Nile). Thirdly, since birds die of it - the disease will do it's own thing for population control before a new equilibrium is reached.

Sometimes there is a need to step in and take action...but it should be well thought out and carried out humanely.

Algenco
06-07-2009, 11:41 PM
No its a garter snake. Populary given to small kids as pets and the most harmless creature imagenable.

Looks very similar to our "Eastern Ribbon" snake that most call a garter

fraggle
06-08-2009, 12:58 AM
Thanks for that Will. I'd never even heard of a garter snake before, so was interesting reading up on them.

From reading Al, the Ribbon snake is part of the garter genus!

Algenco
06-08-2009, 02:07 AM
Thanks for that Will. I'd never even heard of a garter snake before, so was interesting reading up on them.

From reading Al, the Ribbon snake is part of the garter genus!

true, but all we have in my area are Ribbons, never met anyone that knew what their proper name is, everyone calls them "garters"

Oscar_freak12321
06-08-2009, 02:11 AM
Most of the snake population in Arizona is rattlesnake species, and some of them don't rattle or give any warning before striking, sadly. Useless killing makes me very upset however.

Gayle
06-08-2009, 02:58 AM
For clarification when i say the head I have always heard that a narrow head means probably no venom glands, so not poisonous, a wider head means venom glands so yea...ow lol

Not sure if its always true or not, just what people say. Never heard of the eye thing, maybe there are some snake experts out there somewhere

like this http://www.animalpicturesarchive.com/ArchOLD/1085923994.jpg poisonous

I have never heard of the narrow head thing. I am pretty sure if that were the case they would have told us in school. But really if you think about look at the head of a coral snake and then look at the head of a rattlesnake.

cer
06-08-2009, 07:20 PM
I caught a garter snake with my hands one time. First I had to convince my parents it was not poisonous. It did not even try to bite me.

William
06-08-2009, 07:22 PM
They "never" do.

Wild Turkey
06-08-2009, 07:39 PM
They "never" do.

So says Dr dolittle :hmm3grin2orange: J/k tho ive never had one bite at me either. Most snakes and any wild animal will try to evade you, even if they have the power to kill you. Its the rare exceptions of the poison world that are the real dangers..like say the Brazilian wandering spider. Cant really blame anyone for squishing those if they get the chance

Allecto
06-13-2009, 09:13 PM

Tell that to a guppy! :hmm3grin2orange:

smaug
06-13-2009, 09:27 PM
They "never" do.
They do bite but its nothing really,kind of like a localized brushburn.It wil infect if left unattended.That being said,they will only bite if being handled roughly during capture.

Crispy
06-13-2009, 09:30 PM
I know people around here who kill a snake when they see it and then wonder why they get mice and rats around... hmmmmm.... so ignorant...

Allecto
06-13-2009, 09:30 PM

The pupil shape can be a rough guideline, but I can't think of any areas where there aren't exceptions. Generally speaking, round pupils are more likely to be safe than vertical, but it isn't something to take as a guarantee... and when you run up against a snake with horizontal pupils I guess you're outta luck, lol.

Same thing with head shape, it can be a good guideline but there is often going to be somebody who goes against the rule.

Same goes for pupil shape/activity. Diurnal often means a round pupil, nocturnal often means a vertical one, but there are still exceptions and oddballs that have the 'wrong' pupils for their active period or are crepuscular.

Your best bet, if you don't KNOW it is a harmless snake, just steer clear.

ETA: that wasn't specifically aimed at you, Gayle, I just quoted you because I was carrying on about the same points.

smaug
06-13-2009, 09:42 PM
I know people around here who kill a snake when they see it and then wonder why they get mice and rats around... hmmmmm.... so ignorant...
my neighbor up the street is like this.Kills every snake he sees,even goes out of his way to do it.He kept chickens for awhile and didnt want them stealing the eggs [of cource thats ridiculous] but the rats stole eggs,all around the coup were rat holes,he called them snake holes?:sconfused: ?Im not making this up.

William
06-13-2009, 09:52 PM
They do bite but its nothing really,kind of like a localized brushburn.It wil infect if left unattended.That being said,they will only bite if being handled roughly during capture.

hence the "". You really need to be rough with them for them to bite

Northernguy
06-13-2009, 09:56 PM
lol I still just walk around them!We have quite a few up here!