PDA

View Full Version : Found a possible new pet in my bathrobe

William
06-07-2009, 05:25 AM
My GF was going to bed and found this little guy in my bathrobe. It is a baby and very very friendly. Has showed no aggression when I have handles it and snuggles into my hand rather than trying to escape (even in open hands) Don't know what I will do with it yet as I am not sure it is old enough to fend for itself. (and they do become vey tame)

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/possum.jpg
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/possum2.jpg

Red
06-07-2009, 05:25 AM
woo thats crazy, awesome find! It is a oppusum (spl?) right?

Wild Turkey
06-07-2009, 05:30 AM
Looks like it to me red!

Very cool!

i spell it opossum, who knows lol

Red
06-07-2009, 05:30 AM
Well then, lets go with opossum :)

Wiggs
06-07-2009, 05:31 AM
lol, the title made me laugh, not going to lie to you.

He's a cutie :) i say raise him, whats one more pet in that animal sanctuary you call a home? thumbs2:

William
06-07-2009, 05:37 AM
Glad you liked the title. I hope you weren't expecting something else. This is a family friendly forum.:hmm3grin2orange:

Yes it is an opossum. Species unknown at the moment. I have an idea that it will grow to be about one ft, it is 3-4 inches / 7.5-10 cm right now.

I am tempted to raise it but then I need to build another cage. and you are right one more will not make a bid differnce in what hopefully one day will be an animal sanctuary.

Wild Turkey
06-07-2009, 05:44 AM
Philander opossum ( i think )

What a really cool pet that would make Will

Dave66
06-07-2009, 05:46 AM
Neat, William. It must be lost from its group to end up sheltering in your bathrobe. Good luck with him.

Dave

William
06-07-2009, 06:24 AM
Philander opossum ( i think )

Not sure about that allthough I can't eclude it. Don't look quite right for the adults I see on the roof at night. Might be Didelphis virginiana. the young can look like the little one
http://www.terrambiente.org/fauna/Mammiferi/metatheria/didelphimorphia/images/opossum01.jpg

Also considered Metachirus nudicaudatus.

Or it is something completely different:hmm3grin2orange:

fraggle
06-07-2009, 06:30 AM
"Lights fading......, limbs growing cold.

- I see a tunnel. - Oh, no.

Mother, is that you beckoning me into the light?

Must move toward the light."

They are so cute!!! Sorry I can't help but think of that line when ever I see an opossum, LOL.

I say keep him William!thumbs2:

William
06-07-2009, 06:35 AM
They are very very cute no doubt.

haven't seen over the hedge. Any good?

ladyoutlaw50
06-07-2009, 06:37 AM
Obviously he needed a friend and felt that you were the one --- don't send him back ---he already seems very comfortable --- Your AC friends want to watch him grow as part of his "extended" family

fraggle
06-07-2009, 06:48 AM
Well I thought it was good the first time I saw it, now that I can quote you any line from anywhere in the movie it's a bit old, LOL. Seriously though, it's not bad, kept the adults entertained while the kids watched it (the first time:hmm3grin2orange: ) Freaks me out that the Big Bad Bruce Willis' voice is coming out of a racoon though, but I must say I did quite enjoy it for a kids movie.

Those opossums look so different to the possums here, with their longer heads etc. I think our possums are cute too, just not when they run across our tin roof all night, it sounds like a herd of elephants! And keep us awake with calling out to each other etc. They also attack the cats and dogs and my goat to get their food. The dogs fend for themselves OK, but the cats have ended up with some decent wounds. And poor Millie my goat has copped a couple of decent scratches too.
Mum and Dad have got an infestation of them at their place, Dad's had to replace the laserlight (the see through corrugated roofing) with iron as they seemed to like the sound it made when the jumped down from the tree onto the roof, and they kept smashing it. They keep ripping in through the eaves on their shed too and getting into the roof. It stinks like possum pee. And did you know you can't paint over their pee? Even when it's dry it seeps back up through the paint, must be toxic stuff LOL. Even the undercoat it came through again. They are cute still though. I'd still have one as a pet if I could (not allowed to, big fine if you do) Might be able to teach him some manners, LOL.

William
06-07-2009, 06:51 AM
I know what you mean with the elephants on the roof. It is the same thing here. Almost as loud as all the frogs.

fraggle
06-07-2009, 08:37 AM
We used to hear frogs here, sounded great of an evening (they weren't as loud as the possum, LOL) haven't for years now, no water around for them, dam over the back where they used to be prettty much dried up.

Sharon
06-07-2009, 10:08 AM
Man!!! I have no concept of where you call home, but it sounds interesting!!! He's a lovely little guy....it would be fun to watch him grow up!!!:19:

OscarFan
06-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Ive been seeing lots of people on here finding little baby wild animals and raising them. So I thought I would throw some advice out their. Wild animals are best left alone, if you see a baby animal in the wild dont make any effort to approach it and take a large radius around it. Alot of parents will abandon their babies if they smell like a human. Second they may look cute but are wild animals. They are nothing like the domesticated animals we have today and could turn on you at any moment.
Sorry to interrupt the thread but I had to throw that out their. Cute little guy I cant wait to watch it grow.

Shelz
06-07-2009, 02:29 PM
That is totally adorable.....If it were me, I'd raise it too. Why not....:1luvu:

For the most part I am with Oscarfan, and think that the wild babies should be left alone. People around here find baby deer all the time, and just because they dont see the mother nearby, they assume they are abandoned and take them, which is not always true at all, the mother is usually closer then you think.

But In some cases the mothers are killed, or in other circumstances they are seperated from them and if not helped by us humans they will not survive.

Northernguy
06-07-2009, 02:35 PM
Ive been seeing lots of people on here finding little baby wild animals and raising them. So I thought I would throw some advice out their. Wild animals are best left alone, if you see a baby animal in the wild dont make any effort to approach it and take a large radius around it. Alot of parents will abandon their babies if they smell like a human. Second they may look cute but are wild animals. They are nothing like the domesticated animals we have today and could turn on you at any moment.
Sorry to interrupt the thread but I had to throw that out their. Cute little guy I cant wait to watch it grow.
I don't know too much about Williams life but I am sure he doesn't keep his bathrobe in the wild!:hmm3grin2orange:
Its only human to want to help it out! lol
Its a cutie! I'm glad you didn't find an upset mother in there!lol

Wild Turkey
06-07-2009, 03:30 PM
http://www.terrambiente.org/fauna/Mammiferi/metatheria/didelphimorphia/images/Philander_opossum.jpg

Thats the pic that made me think philander

Didnt know you had the virginia possum all the way down there!

They are the kind we have up here, they are really nasty here but perhaps yours hasnt learned to fear people yet, thankfully lol

Kaz
06-07-2009, 03:57 PM
William, I must ask you some questions.

When you walk outside do puppies run up to you to be pet? When you cross the road do baby ducks walk in a little line behind you? When you come home do you find injured animals waiting at your door to be nursed back to health? Do you spend more than 30 minutes feeding all your pets in the morning?

Gayle
06-07-2009, 06:04 PM
Well now that little guy is cute. The ones around here give me the creeps at night. You walk out on the deck and they are standing there eyes all glowing red, sharp teeth, hissing at you!!!! Spooky! LOL

It is true that you really should never take an animal out of the wild and make it your pet just because you want to.It is just not fair to them or safe for you alot of times. Some times the mom is killed, or will not care for the baby in which case without people stepping up they would more than likely die.

I hate to say it but just one baby oppossum by itself is not really a good sign. I would say the mom has either died, or lost this one, maybe stopped caring for it for some reason we will never know. I think I would probably take it to a wildlife sancutary or someplace if I found it. But where William lives is way different then here, I think he is doing the right thing by taking it in and taking care of it.

The only thing I do warn is that when they grow up they change. They are after all still wild animals. So take proper precautions when handling.

William
06-07-2009, 06:09 PM
William, I must ask you some questions.

When you walk outside do puppies run up to you to be pet? When you cross the road do baby ducks walk in a little line behind you? When you come home do you find injured animals waiting at your door to be nursed back to health? Do you spend more than 30 minutes feeding all your pets in the morning?

The answer is yes to 3 of your 4 statements above.

I agree with the statement not to touch baby aniamls in the wild. It is a bit hard to avoid when they are in your robe in your bathroom though. :hmm3grin2orange:

Virginia opossum live all the way through central america as far as I understand it. the Philander _opossum seem to have to much brown. this species is more gray.

I don't understand that everyone talk aboyt aggresive opossums. I never had an opossum show and aggression what so ever and I have handled a lot. None have even tried to scratch or bite me.

Wild Turkey
06-07-2009, 06:14 PM
I don't understand that everyone talk aboyt aggresive opossums. I never had an opossum show and aggression what so ever and I have handled a lot. None have even tried to scratch or bite me.

You are some kind of Dr dolittle or something Will lol

William
06-07-2009, 06:16 PM
Gayle: Hopefully the mother is alive some where and it just got lost. Couldn't leave it be in the hope that the mother would find it due to a lot of cats in the garden yesterday. I agree that a shelter would be a good thing but I am the closest you come to that here and expect that my home over time will turn to a shelter where locals leave animals.

I agree that you shouldn't catch animals to keep as pets.

I am experienced in handling the adults of this species so it should hopefully not be a problem.

toddnbecka
06-07-2009, 06:21 PM
Picking up an animal you find outside is one thing, but how could you refuse to help one found in your bathrobe?

Gayle
06-07-2009, 06:22 PM
Yeah I think you will do just fine William! I think you know how to handle things. Just most people do not realize that these are not like cats, you cant treat them as such. You have to use caution. LOL I have a feeling you will end up being the wildlife sancutuary there!!! That is what my end goal is as well.

Wild Turkey
06-07-2009, 06:23 PM
I agree with the general consensus, this is a different story because of who/what Will is/knows and where he lives, in the city it would be another story and dangerous in both the physical and legal sense.

William
06-07-2009, 06:27 PM
Some more pics

For size
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/possum3.jpg

New home (to inprint it on me if possible due to age)
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/possum4.jpg

Gayle
06-07-2009, 06:30 PM
That should work. For a bit. When he gets bigger and wont fit in your pocket you could just tie a sheet or something around you in a sling.

Wild Turkey
06-07-2009, 06:32 PM
Oh wow hes so tiny!

It really looks like the virginia opossum in the first pic, that really astounds me how it just immediately accepts you holding it and all thatthumbs2:

William
06-07-2009, 06:56 PM
I am a nice man, well boy

DrNic
06-07-2009, 07:43 PM
I'd say keep it. My wife on the other hand, who is looking over my shoulder, thinks otherwise ;-D

William
06-07-2009, 07:58 PM
She thinks it is a pest? or a rat?

Rue
06-07-2009, 09:07 PM
Adorable! But be aware:

http://www.exoticpetvet.net/avian/sarcocystosis.html

William
06-07-2009, 09:18 PM
Yes I am aware of that but thanks for the heads up.

Thankfully it is mainly old world parrots that are susceptible, new world parrots like our are much more resistant as they live in the same trees as these guys in the wild. None the less. I will keep them apart and wash my hand as well as possible.

Rue
06-07-2009, 09:20 PM
Excellent! Always better safe than sorry...thumbs2:

Kaz
06-07-2009, 10:53 PM
The answer is yes to 3 of your 4 statements above.

I am being destroyed trying to figure out which 3.

Puppies run to greet anyone.

You certainly have enough animals to take 30 minutes to feed them all.

I wouldn't put injured animals showing up at your door past you.

But the ducks is where I draw the line. Unless there is a really funny story I need to hear.

William
06-07-2009, 11:22 PM
You are right. And no funny duck story. I did have a cat force me to watch her give birth though.

Kaz
06-07-2009, 11:30 PM
You are right. And no funny duck story. I did have a cat force me to watch her give birth though.

Do tell. placeholder

William
06-07-2009, 11:40 PM
Not much to tell. Had a cat move in with me in granada. It use to leave it kittens with us to babysit when she went out even though the kittens was days old. She would scream until we took the babies from hear mouth into our hands to watch until she returned. But I digress. She got pregnant again and one day she comes to my Gf and me moew etc. very on edge and obiously wanted us to follow her as she went to us moewed, walk from us and moewed. it should be said that she is allready dialated at this point. When we stared following her she led us to a a container she made a nest in. She then settled down but if we tried to leave it stopped its birthing as it wasn't about to give birth without me.

William
06-07-2009, 11:44 PM
And yes, before someone says it. Had it been my cat I would have had it spaded but unfortunately it belonged to a neighbour who where living 6 months in Costa rica so it might not have been very popular.

fraggle
06-08-2009, 12:47 AM
Will, if I tape my dog barking or whining or my cat meowing and post it to you, could you translate and let me know what they are saying?:hmm3grin2orange:

Kaz
06-08-2009, 02:57 AM
You should come to Canada one day, the polar bears will love you!:hmm3grin2orange:

William
06-08-2009, 03:17 AM
Would love to meet them !

and I am crazy enough to think they wouldn't hurt me.

Red
06-08-2009, 03:18 AM
Would love to meet them !

and I am crazy enough to think they wouldn't hurt me.

What are you that bear man on TV that lived with bears for years?

Kaz
06-08-2009, 03:21 AM
What are you that bear man on TV that lived with bears for years?

He could be if he wanted to.

gem
06-08-2009, 03:22 AM
Just a heads up on that little fella. At that size.....thought they might not appear to be.....they are actually quite capable of finding food and fending for themsleves.
They make OK pets....not the best pet by any means though. They are quite placid and gentle for the most part, but at sexual maturity (especially in the case of a male) can become agressive. Not to mention.....rabies as well as other diseases they may carry.

Kaz
06-08-2009, 03:24 AM
Just a heads up on that little fella. At that size.....thought they might not appear to be.....they are actually quite capable of finding food and fending for themsleves.
They make OK pets....not the best pet by any means though. They are quite placid and gentle for the most part, but at sexual maturity (especially in the case of a male) can become agressive. Not to mention.....rabies as well as other diseases they may carry.

This is Will we're talking about here.

William
06-08-2009, 03:31 AM
I have considered if he is large enough to fend for himself. I have no doubt he would find food but he seems not to have outgrown the period where they need to be licked by the mother (or petted by a human) to relieve themselves. So far he (yes it is a male) never done anything without that treatment in which case he does it very fast.

William
06-08-2009, 03:45 AM
Haven't decided what to do with him once I am convinced he can fend for himself. He will however stay long enough for me to get some more pics to an opossum article.

fraggle
06-08-2009, 04:16 AM
Good luck with him Will, whether you decide to keep him as a pet or not (although I'd say even if you did "let him go" you'd find a visitor on your back door step quite regularly, LOL) and look forward to more pics of the cute little guy!

William
06-08-2009, 04:24 AM
I think you are right. I have had him loose a couple of times and all he does is "escaping" into the bedroom. (no matter where he starts)

It was there he lost his mom.

gem
06-08-2009, 04:32 AM
William....If you have a tape measurer...measure him from nose to butt...don't measure the tail. If he's at least 7 to 7 1/2 inches, he's a juvi and is fine on his own. Can't really tell by the pictures, but from what you are saying.....he's not that big.
If he's smaller than 7 inches then he does, in fact, need your assitance....feed him soaked dry cat food and you can suplement him with kitten formula if need be. And yes.... you should continue helping him potty.

As to what Kaz said....LOL yeah, yeah, yeah. I'm no different. I once raised an orphaned racoon from 5 days old. Funny story was I was home on maternity leave with my youngest. I would wake up to feed her then after she was burped, changed, and back to bed....I would make a bottle for the coon, feed, burp, and potty him and go back to bed. 4 hours later....repeat. :ssmile:

Gayle
06-08-2009, 04:37 AM
Awe! Well if you do not intend on keeping him, you need to go about this differently. Starting now. After so much human contact, bonding, having food set out for him,not doing what it would do naturally, being protected, and used to living with people they can not go back to the wild without a bunch of training. Even with the training many can not survive it alone. I do believe in this case William you are either going to have to care for it until it dies, or turn it into a sanctuary or zoo. I think you should probably just keep it, build it a good sized cage out back and let it be as wild as it can be, but care for it for the rest of its life. I am sure you will end up with a few more over the years, so LOL, get started on that AC Wildlife Reserve now!!!

William
06-08-2009, 04:47 AM
Thanks for the info Gem. (you truely are a gem) It is very helpful.

It is no where near 7-7 1/2 inches yet. It is 3-4 inches, maybe 4 1/2 at the moment so I guess it will stay for a while which might mean that i get attached to it. Thanks for the food advice.

Part of me want a baby raccon but considering they live here I am sure I will have to regret those words when I find one in my clothes or have a Nicaraguan drop of a litter after their mother died or something.

William
06-08-2009, 04:52 AM
It have not had as much human contac as you think Gayle. It has only been in captivity 24 hours and was in pocket for 2 hours. The rest of the time it has been sleeping in a box. So it has not forgotten how to be wild but after Gems advice that confirms what I thought, that he is to small to be released now and that I will need to care fore him for a while he will stay a pet as I don't have the resources/facilities right now to keep him the way I would need to if he was going to be released back into the wild. (as you say, that would require a radical different care)

Gayle
06-08-2009, 04:55 AM
Woo Hoo!! The AC Wildlife Reserve has its first resident!!!! It will be so fun watching him grow!!!!!

William
06-08-2009, 05:01 AM
I am smelling a new site section.

the AC Wildlife reserve.

Gayle
06-08-2009, 05:02 AM
Great Idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I Love It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gem
06-08-2009, 05:07 AM
William....in that case....he's definately not able to fend for himself. But trust me...you absolutely don't want a pet racoon. You're far better off making a pet of the opossum. They're more likely to stay gentle and placid. A racoon....as Rocky surely proved......WILL become VERY agressive at full maturity (about 3 years of age) no matter how much human interaction it has had and even if spayed or neutered. They can weigh 50 - 60 lbs at full size and are extremely strong, agile, and dangerous.
Keep your little opossum friend if you have the craving for pet wildlife. You'll be much happier and safer.....trust me. thumbs2:

William
06-08-2009, 05:12 AM
BTW I think I know why he showed up in my bathrobe. A tree, well everything above 3 m /10 ft has fallen to the ground in my neighbours yard next to the wall seperating the two yards. I am guessing the nest was in the tree and that the family got seperated in the commotion (not sure if the mother survived or if there might be more babies around hiding. Haven't seen any) If one runs through a drainage pipe and foillow the wall you end up where it was found.

William
06-08-2009, 05:15 AM
Trust me Gem. If I ever get an raccon it will not be because I want one but because someone killed their mother or something. I would never actively get one.

That is true for all wildlife BTW except maybe for the occasional frog or toad;-)

Kaz
06-08-2009, 11:26 AM
Even with the training many can not survive it alone. I do believe in this case William you are either going to have to care for it until it dies, or turn it into a sanctuary or zoo.

Will is a sanctuary or a zoo.

Okay so right now will has:

13(?) birds
2 owls
Some cane toad visitors
Fish (or at least he will)
An oppossum
A fish farm.

Am I missing anything?

William
06-08-2009, 07:04 PM
Actually it is:

13 birds
2 owls ( I think you are thinking about the guniea fowl, african step birds not owls)
Some cane toad visitors ( a lot of cane toad visitors as well as tree frogs other frogs. I would guess there is about 20-25 amphibian species on the yard) (there are also several species of land crabs)
Fish (will have soon)
An oppossum
A fish farm (is in the works, land aqusition is moving forward, my plan is to have it up and runnign within the year)Thats it for the moment. But i am sure the numbers will grow in a week or two.

Rue
06-08-2009, 07:33 PM
...there's no holding him back now! thumbs2:

:14:

Kaz
06-08-2009, 09:40 PM
( I think you are thinking about the guniea fowl, african step birds not owls)

I wasn't paying too much attention but I read you said something about releasing the owls or something like that.

William
06-08-2009, 09:46 PM
Must have been guea fowls. Or talking about things past. haven't had owls in years.

Gayle
06-08-2009, 09:49 PM
Yeah speaking of crabs................LMAO..................did you ever find out what species that one crab is????

William
06-08-2009, 10:07 PM
No not yet. Haven't given up hope though. I will sooner or later ;-)

The opossoum has now recieved the guest bathroom as its home. Hopefully he won't find a way out that I dont know about ;-)

MikeTag
06-08-2009, 11:57 PM
"Lights fading......, limbs growing cold.

- I see a tunnel. - Oh, no.

Mother, is that you beckoning me into the light?

Must move toward the light."

They are so cute!!! Sorry I can't help but think of that line when ever I see an opossum, LOL.

I say keep him William!thumbs2:
I love that movie !!!!!!!!!!

Fraoch
06-09-2009, 05:32 PM
William:

This may sound silly, but I'm curious - does he make noises?

William
06-09-2009, 06:09 PM
Nope not a sound. But he will when he grows older.

Hailey
06-10-2009, 08:42 PM
Wow, how cute! I wasnt expecting to see him when i opened up this topic!

Chazbot
07-31-2009, 11:16 PM
Hi all!

I just stumbled across this thread. He's ADORABLE William!

I thought I'd ask if you did keep him and see how he's doing. Any new pics?