PDA

View Full Version : little help please

mr.elcajon
06-07-2009, 01:14 AM
ok, so my uncle has this 7500 gallon pond that he had runnin for about a year. he had lots of koi like 147. somethin like that. well he had some ducks too. got rid of those though. well he had a huge spike in ammonia and nitrites. all that being said, im wonderin if anybody knows how many times an hour he should turning the water over. he said hes only doin it once an hour. doesnt seem like enough to me. if someone could give me an answer to this or give me a site that would tell all about ponds it would be appreciated.

smaug
06-07-2009, 01:19 AM
At least once an hour.That is not as important as what he is turning that water through once per hour.A pond that size and that heavily stocked will need a bio filter the size of a 55 gal drum [Im not exaggerating].That is far too many koi for even a pond that size.50 full grown koi is a heck of a bioload much less almost 150.He wont listen I'm sure,but get him to sell some of them and thin out the herd before he gets to do it with a big net and a gas mask.How big are the koi on avg?

mr.elcajon
06-07-2009, 06:06 PM
well hes has prob like 10 or 15 big ones but htey multiplied. see he has a lot of babies. he does have about an 80 gallon drum setup with a bio filter.

smaug
06-07-2009, 07:56 PM
Wow,then he needs more bio filter.What he really needs is a fish sale:shappy:

Jacko
06-07-2009, 08:25 PM
What type of media is he using in his biofilter?

I'd definitely sell off most of them, koi color and pattern don't change too much as they age so IMO, choose about 20 or 30 young koi of a color or pattern that are enjoyable as well as the large ones to keep and sell or rehome the rest.

mr.elcajon
06-08-2009, 11:07 AM
not wuite sure what he is using, but i guess hes tryin to start all over. ill see what he says about the bio filter. ummm.... do uguys no any sites that i could look at that would maybe help out beginners. im into saltwater so i have no clue and neither does he. lol

Northernguy
06-08-2009, 01:36 PM
We do have a great salt water section right here!
Check it out and ask away!
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/forumdisplay.php?f=62

mr.elcajon
06-08-2009, 09:45 PM
We do have a great salt water section right here!
Check it out and ask away!
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/forumdisplay.php?f=62

i do u commented on my pics.