PDA

View Full Version : Hey Lauren

Lady Hobbs
03-09-2007, 03:34 AM
Just thought you might like to know my cycle is done.......after 4 days. :19:

tsk-tsk

Fish are all back in and happy. Loaches haven't figured out what sand is yet. They've never seen it before.

Chrona
03-09-2007, 03:35 AM
Now now, it's not nice to tease!

But seriously, I must know your secret Hobbs. That just seems unnaturally quick...lol

Lauren B.
03-09-2007, 03:40 AM
Thank you, that's very nice to tease me like that. I think I'm going to report you to a moderator for unnecessary teasing! :ezpi_wink1:

Chrona
03-09-2007, 03:48 AM
Sorry if this is spam, but I found the clown loach comment quite amusing, and so had to post my mental image after reading that line

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/1007/untitledkt8.th.png (http://img510.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitledkt8.png)

cocoa_pleco
03-09-2007, 03:52 AM
HAHAHAHA. poor loach

Drumachine09
03-09-2007, 04:00 AM
Sorry if this is spam, but I found the clown loach comment quite amusing, and so had to post my mental image after reading that line

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/1007/untitledkt8.th.png (http://img510.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitledkt8.png)

So you think you can just usurp my MS paint dude position?

4 Days? My SW tank has been cycling for a MONTH! Is your tank on cycling steroids or something?

cocoa_pleco
03-09-2007, 04:03 AM
that sucks. I wouldve hanged myself by now. Its been like a month.

Like my new avatar? lol

cocoa_pleco
03-09-2007, 04:04 AM
my SW cycled already.

Chrona
03-09-2007, 04:08 AM
I have a feeling that various water parameters like hardness, alkalinity, pH, etc have something to do with this. Hobbs, what kind of water do you have?

Drumachine09
03-09-2007, 04:11 AM
I have a feeling that various water parameters like hardness, alkalinity, pH, etc have something to do with this. Hobbs, what kind of water do you have?

The wet kind... (sorry, i had to)

cocoa_pleco
03-09-2007, 04:14 AM

LOL. i think hobbs said she has hard water

Gelo_USA
03-09-2007, 04:42 AM
LOLL..... my water is wett tooo.......

ok back to topic LOL

why dnt u guys give it a try on BIOZYME it worked for me I will be testing again this saturday and report back on http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=4198
its doing good for me up to now and they have a SW BIOZYME too
I think its worth giving it a try its only about 4 bucks anyways.... and tht way we can find out if it really works or if I was just lucky... LOL

Lauren B.
03-09-2007, 04:53 AM

That was soooo Three Stooges!

Lady Hobbs
03-09-2007, 11:57 AM

Hard water which should take longer. I am also constantly cleaning lime scale from my filters! Drives me nuts.

Lady Hobbs
03-09-2007, 12:24 PM
Substract changing cycle

Sunday

Removed the gravel from my tank and added sand. Kept old gunky filter media and some driftwood and plastic plants but all water was
new. No other “seeding” other than 5 T. of Stress Zyme.

Added 5 T. of pure ammonia bringing test reading to about 5. Turned the heat up and began aerating.

Monday

Checked ammonia this morning after tank has been cycling for 12 hours and I see ammonia levels have dropped already so I added more ammonia. Too much, actually, as in all my excitement I brought levels up to almost 8.

Checked nitrites in the evening and not only did I have nitrites but nitrates as well. I have added no more ammonia today as I added too much yesterday.

Tuesday

Still need to add no more ammonia. Reading is now at 4. Nitrites are 1/ Nitrates are near 20.
Hope this continues to move this fast as I have one miserable angelfish in a 10 gallon tank refusing to eat!

Wed

Ammonia is at 0 again. Nitrites and nitrates remain the same. Added more ammonia so I don’t loose the biological factor. Ammonia readings now show for about 8 hours and then back to 0. I added 5 T. of Stress Zyme again.

Thurs

Added ammonia, went to the store and returned to 0 reading. Nitrites were then 1. still and nitrates still at 20 so I did a water change of 50%. Readings then all at 0. Fully stocked tank and this morning all readings still at 0.

Truthfully, you are supposed to wait until nitrites register 0 themselves but my thought was if a water change will remove nitrates, just maybe it will the nitrites as well. It did. I may have to rethink how I deal with stuck nitrites.

Check out my cool reptile hiding spot. Loaches loves it. More needs to be done and wood will be different as well as rocks. Need to wait until I can collect more this spring.

Severus
03-09-2007, 04:10 PM
Congrats hobbs! Im sure all your SD's and Loaches are quite happy now

Chrona
03-09-2007, 07:23 PM
I thought it might be interesting if we all posted our cycling process and water parameters, so we might be able to isolate how cycling is affected by various factors. Maybe something for a rainy weekend. ;)

niqolas619
03-10-2007, 07:27 AM
I think I'm about at the same point in my cycling as you were before you added fish, Hobbs. A lot of my readings were similar to yours, and now my ammonia goes back to zero within 1 or 2 hours of adding it - it even does it if a put more in than I should! My nitrites are around 0.25 and my nitrates are about 25, so I'm gonna do a water change and add some fish on Sunday!

Lady Hobbs
03-10-2007, 07:56 AM
With no ammonia and nitrites that low, they will be fine. Happy fishkeeping.

niqolas619
03-10-2007, 04:45 PM
Oh dam, I just checked my pH and it's about 7.4. I wasn't checking it because I had 8.1 out of the tap, but I guess either the formation of the bacteria or the sitting around of the water caused it to lower??? Should I just do a large water change (like 75% or more?) and see if that helps, or should I get some buffer? Also, if I use the buffer, do I just need to wait until the water circulates completely, or is there a time period to allow everything to run its course?

Chrona
03-10-2007, 05:02 PM
Oh dam, I just checked my pH and it's about 7.4. I wasn't checking it because I had 8.1 out of the tap, but I guess either the formation of the bacteria or the sitting around of the water caused it to lower??? Should I just do a large water change (like 75% or more?) and see if that helps, or should I get some buffer? Also, if I use the buffer, do I just need to wait until the water circulates completely, or is there a time period to allow everything to run its course?

Do you have any driftwood in the tank? Let it sit for another day and see what the pH is.

niqolas619
03-11-2007, 05:47 AM
Do you have any driftwood in the tank? Let it sit for another day and see what the pH is.

Nah, just rocks. I bought some stuff to raise the pH - gonna give that a whirl.

Lady Hobbs
03-11-2007, 11:07 AM
Just use baking soda. It's safer. Just add a pinch at a time and don't raise (or lower) pH more than 3. at a time in 24 hours.