PDA

View Full Version : BN Picture and Questions

Northernguy
06-06-2009, 03:08 PM
Here is a pic of my beautiful bn pleco!
His bristles are apparently huge!
He has great color I am told.
Someone saw it actually swim last week.I have tried several times to get it out of the shell.I am positive its not stuck in there! lol
I know I didn't get him to stare a paice of tail all day!:hmm3grin2orange:
Any suggestions would be great.Are they all this shy?

Whoops! lmao I love trying to do a million different things at once!
Talk about mass confusion!
Wrong section! lol

I guess I just miss Hobbs! lol

iZinedane
06-06-2009, 03:14 PM
nice BN pleco (tail xD) NG :hmm3grin2orange:

Northernguy
06-06-2009, 03:16 PM
nice BN pleco (tail xD) NG :hmm3grin2orange:
Thanks! lol

frank_zappa
that is a pretty awesome tail!

i bet he will come out soon, just with time. mine are out very often day or night, and they are albinos.

i know that they love wood, so if you do not have any in your tank, perhaps get a piece and you will find him on it, i would wager (could just as easily tunnel under too, though)

Deleted User
NG.

I fed my Bn's a couple of defrosted frozen prawns once per week.

They always came out fot those and got less shy.

If you really want to see him or get pics put the prawns towards the front of the tank. :ssmile:

Northernguy
06-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Springe this is a family site!
NO SWEARING ALLOWED!
PLEASE GROW UP!

springe
06-06-2009, 03:20 PM
How do i make a forum.

Northernguy
06-06-2009, 03:22 PM
try research!

springe
06-06-2009, 03:22 PM
I'm sorry, I just got on the computer and my friend was typing all this nasty language on the computer. I am so sorry you had to see this.

springe
06-06-2009, 03:25 PM
Hey, umm, how do you get pictures on to this sight of your fish tank for everyone to see it?

Northernguy
06-06-2009, 03:28 PM
I have answered that question the last time you asked it in another thread.
Shrink it first or use photobucket or another pic site!

Sharon
06-06-2009, 04:02 PM
I would suggest you keep your "friend" away from your computer....

Northernguy
06-06-2009, 04:06 PM
Thanks Sharon!

Sharon
06-06-2009, 04:12 PM
No problem, Ray...

iZinedane
06-06-2009, 04:14 PM
I would suggest you keep your "friend" away from your computer....

i second that :ssmile:

toddnbecka
06-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Do you just have one male BN in the tank? Males are territorial fish, my breeding male only comes out of his barnacle shell for food. Even when he doesn't have a spawn to tend (or competing males looking to take his spot) he stays in there while the females roam around. Even the big old bachelor in the 55 with the cichlids and Syno's seldom shows his face. There's plenty of cover for all the fish, and the filter flow carries food all through the tank.
If you want to see more than just a tail get a female. Before too long you'll see fry all over the tank.

fraggle
06-06-2009, 10:45 PM
Well Richard, you can get quite a good aerobic workout doing water changes with buckets instead of using your Python.

MY male BN used to hide all the time Ray, hardly ever saw him. (I know he used to come out at night though becuase the algae would dissapear of things, LOL) Then when he died (Hubby and just got me Oscar and I had no idea what on oscar was or anything, was researching and found here, LOL, but not before he ate my BN)and I got a new one, turns out she was a female and she used to be all over the tank all day, used to see her all the time.

Northernguy
06-06-2009, 11:21 PM
Fraggle he does come out at night but as soon as I approach the tank hes gone!

I was thinking about getting a female.I would like to see him.His bristles are really nice and long.
I'll show you one day! I hope. lol
toddnbecka do the fry need any special treatment?
Will the bns bully my corys?
I have a ton of guppies,two BBR,s a few corys(more have already been ordered! lol)and the bn.Its a 35 with rock caves,two coconut huts,driftwood and plants.

Kaz
06-07-2009, 12:08 AM
Our helper continues to beg for help.

I'm intrested in getting a look at this guy too.

toddnbecka
06-07-2009, 12:20 AM
All you'd need would be another tank to raise the BN fry, sounds like that one is already loaded. (Or something to eat BN fry and thin out the guppies...) I just feed my fry twice daily with crushed NLS pellets and they grow like little weeds. I do toss in some fresh veggies once weekly, but I'm pretty sure not all the fry get some, particularly the smaller/younger ones.
You think your BN is bad? I have 6 L333's ~2" that I almost never see unless I strip down the tank for cleaning or moving fry. Beautiful patterns and colors, but they're nocturnal critters that love to hide in the driftwood.

Northernguy
06-07-2009, 12:47 AM
I'm more worried about it getting stuck in the shell! I want to evict him from there because its worn through on the other side and it may cause an injury.
I left lots of hiding places.I cannot get him to come out of it.lol
I move it around and he just crams himself in there tighter.I have decided to leave it for now.I would like to flip it over or remove it but I cannot get to fast enough when I see him out!:hmm3grin2orange:

toddnbecka
06-07-2009, 01:20 AM
Just prop the shell up on something over the open tank and wait. He'll drop out in a few minutes. Every time I pull the driftwood out of the 30 I set it on plastic trays to catch the stubborn pleco's that rode along as it left the water. I've found the same thing with the polka-dot loaches as well...

Northernguy
06-07-2009, 01:23 AM
I'll give it a try!
Thanks!:22:

frank_zappa
06-07-2009, 02:20 AM
do they ever get stuck and die like that?

Northernguy
06-07-2009, 03:04 AM
I saw one thread a while back where the shell had to be busted to get it out!
I do not want to have to do that! lol