PDA

View Full Version : Tropheus food

domjd05
06-06-2009, 12:17 PM
Can anyone with some experience keeping the tropheus duboisi point me towards a good/readily available brand vege flake/pellet food for them?

Deleted User
06-06-2009, 12:47 PM
New Life spectrum pellets. The cichlid type can't go wrong with it. Best food on the market IMO. I feed all my fish it and have never used any other pellets since I switched. :ssmile:

They also make a flake food too.

domjd05
06-06-2009, 06:32 PM
I will look into that, is that a vege/algae wafer type of food? the duboisi needs a very high content of vege matter vs crude protein

Deleted User
06-06-2009, 06:55 PM
I do beleive they do a vegi flake food. Not sure on the pellets but here is the link to there site.

It shows you all the different types they make and info. :ssmile:

http://www.nlsfishfood.com/

Fishguy2727
06-06-2009, 11:47 PM
They do not have a veggie formula besides the wafers, which I would not recommend. Instead, the rest of the ingredients are digested easily enough and of high enough quality to not need a veggie formula. Keep in mind that most veggie formulas are barely different than all the other foods that company makes except maybe they moved spirulina up a few ingredients and used green dye instead of a red or orange.

domjd05
06-07-2009, 12:04 AM
Ok, so I guess there's not much I can give them that will really make a difference then is there?

Fishguy2727
06-07-2009, 02:42 AM
I would use New Life Spectrum Thera+A of appropriate size. The extra garlic in the Thera+A can help kill parasites and other pathogens. IT can greatly reduce the frequency of any health problems.

Red
06-07-2009, 02:43 AM
They need a very veggie based diet...

Fishguy2727
06-07-2009, 04:08 AM
NLS has proven many times to be an ideal diet for fish with very specialized digestive systems. From mbunas to tropheus to frontosa, and that is just in freshwater.

kaybee
06-07-2009, 02:47 PM
"HBH Natural Veggie Flake Premium" flakes constitutes the staple of my tropheus duboisi's diet (provided daily). Lots of 'plant matter'/veggies in the ingredients combined with a low protein content which ideal for tropheus' and other herbivorous african cichlids:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a259/y2kenny19/Veggieflake.jpg

My t. duboisi is also provided New Life Spectrum (Cichlid Formula)as a secondary supplement (fed with the above flakes about 3-4 times a week). Minimum protein content being 34% (first nine ingredients being: Krill, Herring, Wheat Flour, Algae Meal, Soybean Isolate, Fish Oil, Beta Carotene, Spirulina, & Garlic).

The only other flake food I would consider are the Pure Spirulina Flakes from Kensfish.com which are 100% pure spirula flakes. I find the flakes too be too fine for fish over 2" though, otherwise it would be incorporated into my tropheus' diet as well.