PDA

View Full Version : How to make a cave?

HorrorShowRot
06-05-2009, 08:41 PM
Anyone have any ideas on how to make a cave. I want to make a cave but am low on the cash flow. I am wondering if theres a way I can sort of build one it doesn't have to be fancy.

Ryuu
06-05-2009, 08:50 PM
Rocks are good. If you go into the woods, or someplace that has larger rocks you can make a cave of of them. Make sure you have a lot of substrate under them, and make sure there is no way they can fall and hit the glass.

HorrorShowRot
06-05-2009, 08:52 PM
Allright I shall see how well it works out xD thanks

KingFisher
06-05-2009, 08:53 PM
One way is to just stack some rocks to form a cave. Just make sure it is stable so none of the rocks can fall and trap your fish. Also, make sure there is a little space between the rocks and the glass so fish can't get wedged in there between them.

Another way is to use pieces of PVC pipe. You can get cutoff pieces really cheap at most hardware stores. I would sand the sharp edges from the cut ends a little before using them.

Hollow pieces of driftwood also make good caves.

HorrorShowRot
06-05-2009, 08:56 PM
If i got some driftwood should I carve it and then boil it out or how should i go about doing that.

KingFisher
06-05-2009, 09:00 PM
If i got some driftwood should I carve it and then boil it out or how should i go about doing that.
You could carve it out or you could just look for pieces with hollow areas already in them. I like to boil wood before I use it in my tanks, just make sure it has cooled off fully before using it.

A cave does not have to be strictly a one way in, one way out structure. It just has to be covered enough for the fish to feel secure and hidden when it goes in there.

HorrorShowRot
06-05-2009, 09:02 PM
Allright cool Im gonna try it out. Thanks mate.

Northernguy
06-05-2009, 09:59 PM
You can use some plumbing pipe!
Small peices of ABS (the black stuff) lol it comes in 2,3,4" diameters.
Some stores have cut offs or do you know any plumbers.
Some pottery make great caves.
The natural look is rock caves! heres some pics of mine.I am also making some out tubing,it will be finished next week.

HorrorShowRot
06-05-2009, 11:54 PM
Very nice please show me the ones when your done would love to see them

Northernguy
06-05-2009, 11:57 PM
I will be posting pics in my journal when its done.:22:

springe
06-06-2009, 12:00 AM
How do I get pics on here?

:help: :help: :help: :help:

Northernguy
06-06-2009, 12:04 AM
You can post pics through Photobucket or any other pic site.
You can also post right from your computer.The pics have to downsized first.I do that in Paint!

HorrorShowRot
06-06-2009, 12:08 AM
I am thinking of finding a nice hollow piece of driftwood. But am just wondering how it will stay on the bottom xD

Jaster
06-06-2009, 02:07 PM
You can also take a small plant pot (one of the orange ones) and coat it in silicone then roll it some substrate until its completly covered. Let it dry for a couple days and *poof* instant cave. I will match your tank and give a nice home.

Owlbehere
06-06-2009, 03:11 PM
You can also take a small plant pot (one of the orange ones) and coat it in silicone then roll it some substrate until its completly covered. Let it dry for a couple days and *poof* instant cave. I will match your tank and give a nice home.
I was going to say a terra cotta pot as well. Less than 5$ at Homedepot or walmart. The smallest are 99c.

Lady Hobbs
06-06-2009, 03:30 PM
I have caves from pvc pipe and siliconed small stones to it. I've also put the pvc pieces under piles of rocks to hide them. At least if the rocks fall, the fish don't get crushed or wedged into slots too small for them.

trscstghst
08-23-2009, 09:15 AM
i have used old beer bottles before, with the mouths broke off so the fishes can get in. i also used a dremmel to round off the sharp edges so the fish dont cut themselves if the run into them. any glass will work but some jamacian beer bottles which i had lying around just happened to fit into the theme of my tank. if i had a camera i would post some pics but my girlfriend left it sitting out in the sun and it quit working.:scry: