PDA

View Full Version : *ACK* Horse lice!

Rue
06-05-2009, 03:46 PM
Had a new farrier out yesterday to trim hooves on our herd (our old farrier is switching over to working at the race track only). Nice young woman - I think we'll keep her.

She mentioned that this is the first year she's seen so many lice on horses. I've never seen lice on horses. The wormer that we usually give 3-4 times a year takes care of the lice too.

But then she looks at our big warmblood...and sure enough he has lice!:ssuprised:

Then, she looks at our 28+ year old mare - and she CRAWLING with lice! :ssuprised: :ssuprised:

Even though I'm an entomologist...I'm still creeped out and itchy today.

I also wormed and vaccinated everyone yesterday. I hope this dose of wormer does in the lice. But maybe I should pick up some louse powder and treat those two horses for extra protection.

We're thinking the outbreak is a combined result of a very cold winter - which is hard on the horses...esp. those with other issues. Our warmblood was very sick last year with some mystery wasting disease. He seems to have recovered, although he could do with another 100 lbs. And my mare is just very old and arthritic - that's enough to result in a weaker system.

Not sure which type of lice they have...I need to find a disecting scope...or a good magnifiying glass.

Northernguy
06-05-2009, 03:53 PM
Thats terrible! scratch scratch scratch
I picked up a 6" magnifying scratch glas at walmart!
It works scratch scratch great!:hmm3grin2orange:
I hope you do get rid of them soon.

Red
06-05-2009, 03:55 PM
that sucks, are cat got lice from outside, and it really sucked! Hope you can get rid of it!

Rue
06-05-2009, 04:11 PM
Me too! *blech* If I wasn't worming regularly, I wouldn't be so surprised - but we do worm. We also haven't had any visiting horses for over two years...so there must be a low-level population that manages to survive on the horses even with wormers...

Sharon
06-05-2009, 04:26 PM
Oh my!!! I was just thinking, horses can't even scratch, can they? Poor things!:ssuprised:

Rue
06-05-2009, 04:28 PM
They can scratch. They can scratch with their muzzles, they can scratch with their feet...

...and fence posts come in very handy for the hard-to-reach places...:hmm3grin2orange: