PDA

View Full Version : My Betta

Dayz15
06-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Hi guys, i just signd up like 2mins ago so dont mind me if i post stuff in the wrong place (blush)

i have
1 red halfmoon male fighter
1 Dark red halfmoon female fighter
1 pure C/T blue male fighter
1 pure C/T red/blue female fighter
and 1 blue/red PK?? male fighter

so all up i have 3 males and 2 females

have been thinking of breeding my crown tails i have a small tank and another small tank so was thinking of getting them to breed then sepertaing the fry into 2 groups?

and what would my success be with them breeding?

and do they have a ratio of more male fighters surviving than females??

cheers =)

LadyHatred
06-05-2009, 12:49 PM
Well, from my experience, you wont' need to seperate males for a few weeks. They are slow growers. Get yourself lots of containers and maybe look for potential homes before you do let them breed. As well, when you do have fry, water changes are very important; even more-so than normal.

Gayle
06-05-2009, 12:54 PM
I have never bred Bettas, so I cant help ya here. But.........

Hello and welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dayz15
06-05-2009, 01:36 PM
thats ok, and HI :19:

and ohk, yes i know the water changes are a needed thing, so when should i start the water changes? and howmuch should i be changing?

and to my question at the bottom of my first post,
do you get males more than females

like i breed rats and the persentage of males to females is basicaly 1:3

so we get way more males than females (if any females at all)
more females then males is unusual and lucky :11:

cheers

Northernguy
06-05-2009, 02:30 PM
Welcome to the Fabulous AC!
Have you got yourself a liquid test kit to monitor your water quality?
Have you read the free e-book on the left?Please read this.It will help yuou understand how an aquarium and the nitrogen cycle work.
There is a thread on cycling a tank in the begiiners section.It will also help.

Brookfish
06-05-2009, 02:36 PM
Welcome to the Forum! :22:

bugblossom
10-13-2009, 11:03 AM
Hi guys, i just signd up like 2mins ago so dont mind me if i post stuff in the wrong place (blush)

i have
1 red halfmoon male fighter
1 Dark red halfmoon female fighter
1 pure C/T blue male fighter
1 pure C/T red/blue female fighter
and 1 blue/red PK?? male fighter

so all up i have 3 males and 2 females

have been thinking of breeding my crown tails i have a small tank and another small tank so was thinking of getting them to breed then sepertaing the fry into 2 groups?

and what would my success be with them breeding?

and do they have a ratio of more male fighters surviving than females??

cheers =)
hi there!ive read all these posts and nobody seems to answer your questions so i will.ive been breeding fighters for a while now and,as we speak i have 2 seperate broods growing really well.the trick with breeding is water changes and great food.i do 50-70% water changes on my fry tanks daily and feed newly hatched brine shrimp 3 times a day.something to remember:you need to feed the fry infusoria till they can fit the shrimp in their mouths.half boil a small potato,cut it up into 4 pieces and put into a jar with a lid.add tank water till almost full,close and put in sunlight.within a week or so,the water will turn milky.its ready to feed to the fry then.if you do the daily water changes,fry should be able to eat shrimp on day 3.fry excrete a growth stunting hormone that slows their growth rate down,so water changes remove the hormone and allow them to grow 5 times faster than if you didnt.as to the sex ratio,it depends on the size of your fish.if the female is larger than the male then youll get mostly males,and vice versa.if they are the same size,then you should get a 50/50 split.it has something to do with survival instinct.fighters usually mate with the biggest and best so if u have a small male and a large female she will assume that there is a shortage of males and produce more to even things out again.seperating the brood isnt nescessary,and might stress them out.when they start flaring each other and you can tell males from females,then you can jar the males.if you want to know anything else,email me at liz.ladybug@yahoo.com.