PDA

View Full Version : The red kind you eat

jakesnake
06-05-2009, 07:04 AM
I randomly was looking crawfish up on wikipedia and it mentioned keeping crawfish as pets. Here in Louisiana we eat them. I was wondering if the species that's commonly consumed and bought for consumption could be placed in an aquarium. Or does it have to be a certain kind?

Wild Turkey
06-05-2009, 11:51 AM
Im sure they can, I think the wild types are more aggressive than types common to the hobby though. Of course, they will also be more sensitive than a tank raised animal

Gayle
06-05-2009, 01:02 PM
When I was younger I used to go and catch wild crawdads and keep them in a tank. Never more than one at a time though, when ever I had more than one, one would end up getting killed by the other.

mommy1
06-05-2009, 01:39 PM
i also used to catch and keep them all the time when i was younger. i never had any problems with them.

Northernguy
06-05-2009, 02:36 PM
What is the difference between the two.I don't think anything.The ones we keep in the tank may have a better diet but I wouldn't eat them.Wild caught I'm sure taste better! lol

Lilium
06-05-2009, 05:01 PM
I have some wild crayfish in my tanks. It's always hidden in the day though, but my tank doesn't have a great plant cover.

I have three other baby crayfish that I also caught, and they eat flakes.

It's possible to keep them, and for quite a long time too.

I've had a number of them in a 55 gallon (not really knowing how many to have per whatever), and they did fine, with the smaller ones running from the giant one, and none got caught. I don't recommend too many in one space though. .-.

bocrayfish
06-13-2009, 07:20 AM
i caught my crayfish wild, though they may not be the most pretty they are usually healthier my lfs has a tank full of them for 98 cents I dont by them there because they look so crowded and unhealthy ps these guys are super entertaining to wathch and eaasy to take care of pps DO YOUR RESEARCH