PDA

View Full Version : Prego Betta?

zenryoku
03-08-2007, 09:23 PM
I bought three females yesterday to compliment my male betta in a 2.5 gallon tank. The filter causes a bit of current so I have not noticed a bubble nest. But one of the females is looking a little bit fat and seems to hang out with the male more then the other two. Did she get knocked up that fast. How long do I have to get another tank for my other two females? Should I turn off the filter now so that he may build a nest?

Rue
03-08-2007, 09:44 PM
Breeders only put the male and ready female together to spawn, then the female is removed...

2.5 is way too small for 4 fish...if you really want to breed them...and have a place for the babies...you'll need to house your fish in gallon tanks...and if you're breeding, your fish need to be kept individually...

melanini
03-09-2007, 03:23 AM
She wouldnt be "pregnant" she may be heavy with eggs, but they arent fertilized till the male "hugs" her and squeezes them out of her. They "pass out", then he will collect the eggs from the bottom of the tank and spit them into the bubble nest. they need to be seperated immediatly after they are done spawning and he will tend the nest. bettas can be VERY hard to raise, so dont be too hard on yourself if it doesnt work out.

zenryoku
03-10-2007, 06:04 AM
how long do you need to wait for the male to make a bubble nest before you try to introduce another male.

Glasstapper
03-10-2007, 04:32 PM
you mean another female? obviously, two males aren't going to mate and will no doubt kill each other.

Also, have you gotten them a bigger tank? A 2.5 gallon is only enough for one betta.

zenryoku
03-12-2007, 03:26 AM
yep, sometimes I write these late at night....when I should be sleeping.

Anyhow, first male I had nothing. So I introduced one of my bf's males that is a bit younger. He has made a few bubble nests but she has not approved yet. It has only been a day and a half. Hopefully he will build one to her liking. No real signs of agression, just some chasing. Meanwhile, between my bf and I we have 3-4 females swollen with eggs.