PDA

View Full Version : Shellies, rocks, or other...

domjd05
06-05-2009, 12:35 AM
Well I am toying with the idea of getting fid of my mbuna and going for some tangs. But, I am unsure which kind to get... My tank is a rocky setup, so I'm thinking a tropheus duboisi... but what else would go good with the duboisi?

I've heard they don't do well together, unless you keep around 10.. but my tank is a 55 and I really don't want 10 of the same fish...

Jacko
06-05-2009, 12:44 AM
thumbs2: Dunno much about tropheus, but IMO, I would go with a larger mix of tangs... in that size tank I'd go with a school of cyprochromis or paracyps and a couple different genus of shellies (maybe lamp and neolamp?)

domjd05
06-05-2009, 01:18 AM
I am really not to familiar with the Tanganyikan species... I'm usually focused on my SA or mbunas.. but I keep finding these little jems out of tanganyika... I keep getting more and more disappointed in the stocking of my 55 :sconfused:

Feel free to come up with some stocking suggestions!

toddnbecka
06-05-2009, 05:13 AM
In a 55 you can fit 2-3 species of substrate spawners depending on their size. I'd start with a trio of L. multifasciatus (aka multi's) and a group of J. transcriptus. After you have an established pair of transcriptus swap off the extras. Finally, you can add A. calvus or compressiceps, or a group of catfish if you prefer. S. petricola, lucipinnis, and multipunctatus are social fish, more active/visible in groups of 5 or more.
Avoid any of the brichardi complex fish unless you want a species tank.

Crispy
06-05-2009, 02:55 PM
I'm partial to the calvus. They are very sloooowww growers though and you may hafta raise them up a bit before introducing different species. Nothing that looks as impressive as an adult calvus.

domjd05
06-05-2009, 07:04 PM
Yeah that pretty much goes in line with what I've been reading about them.. thanks for the info everyone