PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a Ray

mxgibby911
06-04-2009, 06:03 PM
I'm getting a 200+ gallon tank from a co-worker for free thumbs2: . And currently have an 8-9 inch clown knife (i was fully aware of the tank and care requirements for a clown knife, and had already arranged for a home once it had out grown its current tank and no it was not my local creek) Well i was thinking about keeping the knife, putting a stingray in with him and possibly a Bicher. I am still in the research phase and I AM IN NO HURRY to get a ray. From what i have learned water conditions are a major factor and if i choose to go this route, money will be no object. So if you keep rays, and would have some good advice or issues with tank mates let me know. Thanks

MCHRKiller
06-04-2009, 06:07 PM
What are the dimmensions of your tank? The width of the tank really determins what species of ray you can get. In either case if you wanted you could get a couple of teacup rays....and that tank should do that clown knife for life they are rarely seen over 18" in the tank.

mxgibby911
06-04-2009, 07:33 PM
I'm unsure of the measurments but my coworker said it was over 200 gallons it has been in storage and he wants it gone.

Red
06-04-2009, 07:36 PM
You cold get more bichirs, provide hiding spots for the knife. And even maybe a aro for the top...

Sharon
06-04-2009, 07:39 PM
Nice deal! A 200gal tank for free!!!thumbs2:

blacksnow
06-04-2009, 07:42 PM
I've done a lot of reading/researching about rays (since I want one also).

The one I've seen that stays the smallest is the Potamotrygon Reticulata.

Here is a write up on the species
http://aquaticpredators.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26168

I'd use google images to look at pictures as the ones in that write up do them no justice...beautiful rays!

mxgibby911
06-04-2009, 08:13 PM
I've done a lot of reading/researching about rays (since I want one also).

The one I've seen that stays the smallest is the Potamotrygon Reticulata.

Here is a write up on the species
http://aquaticpredators.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26168

I'd use google images to look at pictures as the ones in that write up do them no justice...beautiful rays!

So far that one has been my favorite.

Fishguy2727
06-04-2009, 11:42 PM
P. reticulata can still pretty big. P. hystrix can actually stay a little smaller.

From my research rays tend to best when they are the only things in the tank. There seems to be more mystery ray deaths when other fish are present. These would be rays that had been doing very well for a long time that all of a sudden and without any reason suddenly. The frequency of this seems to be much lower when rays are in ray only tanks.

If the width allows and you can do the water changes, go for it.

blacksnow
06-05-2009, 12:32 AM
P. reticulata can still pretty big. P. hystrix can actually stay a little smaller.

From my research rays tend to best when they are the only things in the tank. There seems to be more mystery ray deaths when other fish are present. These would be rays that had been doing very well for a long time that all of a sudden and without any reason suddenly. The frequency of this seems to be much lower when rays are in ray only tanks.

If the width allows and you can do the water changes, go for it.

Finding a true hystrix can be quite a task though =O

Crispy
06-05-2009, 03:01 PM
I don't think rays and bichirs together are a good idea. Both bottom feeders who like 'their own' bottom territories. I would maybe put a top-level swimmer in the tank like an arowana.

mxgibby911
06-05-2009, 04:07 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice, i will be sure to take it under advisment with the big decision to come.