PDA

View Full Version : tiger vs rasbora

bmth1231
06-04-2009, 05:39 PM
Yesterday i bought four small tiger barbs and put them into my 20 gallon community tank, everything seemed to be going fine until recently I was watching and the largest tiger barb was chasing around all the other t barbs.
The others arent very active anymore and just stay to the edges seemingly avoiding the bigger one. also I noticed that one of my red rasbora's picked on the big tiger barb when he was done with the others, and the cycle just keeps repeating, what should I do here?

PostalPenguin
06-04-2009, 06:08 PM
Get more tigers or take them back. Tigers need larger groups since they are quite curious and playful. If kept in small groups the tend to be aggressive and bully each other and other fish.

I had 3 in a 5 gallon as my first fish ever. The big one was a bully and the other tigers hid all the time. Took them back when I did my research.

Now I have 7 in a 20g long and their behavior couldn't be anymore different. They are quite playful with each other, aggression is brief and rare and the fish mostly just swim around looking for things to nibble on. The largest shows very little aggression and the group swims together most of the time. Even during feeding time the smallest will get to pick at the food.

But I must say tigers are my favorite fish. They seem to be incredibly intelligent and they will sit at the glass and watch you whenever you are near.

Sharon
06-04-2009, 06:15 PM
DITTO....:ssmile:

bmth1231
06-04-2009, 08:03 PM
Get more tigers or take them back. Tigers need larger groups since they are quite curious and playful. If kept in small groups the tend to be aggressive and bully each other and other fish.

I had 3 in a 5 gallon as my first fish ever. The big one was a bully and the other tigers hid all the time. Took them back when I did my research.

Now I have 7 in a 20g long and their behavior couldn't be anymore different. They are quite playful with each other, aggression is brief and rare and the fish mostly just swim around looking for things to nibble on. The largest shows very little aggression and the group swims together most of the time. Even during feeding time the smallest will get to pick at the food.

But I must say tigers are my favorite fish. They seem to be incredibly intelligent and they will sit at the glass and watch you whenever you are near.
Ran to the pet store, now i have 8 and they do seem much better thankyou

batmura
08-05-2009, 01:19 PM
I would have at least 10 tiger barbs, preferably alone in the tanks along with some bottom fish. They feel more confident when in big numbers.