PDA

View Full Version : Sunlight

iKineUno
06-04-2009, 05:33 AM
Hey there

I've had my large tank set up for about a little less than a month, tank is mostly central and african cichlids. I have a fluval 404, a dual 65watt 6,500k light, no substrate (not yet atleast), and no live plants (other than a small moss ball, which the fish have taken care of)
My water, over the past four or five days, has become a pretty vibrant shade of green.

I have the tank sitting infront of a open window all day, and over the past week we've had very hot and sunny days, could this be causing so much algae growth?

Z Fish Man
06-04-2009, 05:41 AM
This is most definitely the cause. If you can put a shade of some kind over your window, and if you don't already I'd put some kind of background on the tank to prevent sunlight entering from the back. Another option would be to just move the tank to another location. Usually, it is recommended that tanks receive no direct sunlight.

korith
06-04-2009, 05:50 AM
Ditto what previous post says. Also having a tank in front of the window, can lead to problems with your tank water getting too hot. Harder to maintain a stable temp in the tank. You can try blacking out the tank for a few days, cover the window or the tank with a blanket. That should help get the algae under control.

MCHRKiller
06-04-2009, 06:53 AM
In addition to the previously stated, green water IME is also due somewhat to water flow. You dont state how large your tank is, but I am assuming its somewhere in the 4-6ft range. Adding additional filtration and water flow will help clear the tank up and keep it that way, as well as the window shade. Also 130watts is quite a bit of light on a tank without live plants, how long are they on?

kennedpa
06-04-2009, 08:36 AM
Yep direct or even slightly indirect sunlight will cause BIG issues with algae. Either relocate the tank or cover the front when the sun light comes through near the tank.

Zilla
06-04-2009, 01:36 PM
I'd be more concerned with temps in the tank versus the algae problem. In the wild, fish can go to lower levels of water where the water is cooler. In a tank, they can't do that so if they start getting too warm, they have no place to go.

My tank gets filtered sunlight, but it's across the room from the window and I have yet to see any type of algae bloom develop. Would I move the tank closer to the window? No. Because of the heat issues and even though our windows are less than 10 years old, cold spots still develop during the winter which would cause other problems.

Here's my .02 on how to get a handle on your situation.

50% water changes- which should be done anyway

Since you don't have any plants to worry about, you can easily cut back the photo period. Either move the tank or put blinds, shades or dark curtains up to filter some of the sunlight. If you prefer sunlight to tank lights, leave the tank lights off. And only allow the tank to get 5-6 hours the weakest hours of natural sunlight. Strongest sunshine is between the hours of 10 am - 2:00 pm. These hours are not good for taking pictures outside as they cause harsh shadows, not good for humans because it can cause skin cancer, and not good fish as it can cause them to overheat during summer months and causes algae growth.

Test the tank and your tap water for phosphates and excessive amounts of iron. If you have one or the other ( or both), both can be easily fixed.

Move water movement- Add a powerhead or two. Your cichlids will appreciate it and it will give them some exercise.

If you're overfeeding, stop it. Over feeding just means A) More waste coming from your fish and B) More food for algae

Northernguy
06-04-2009, 01:54 PM
I have a large tank directly in front of a large window.
I have a black painted background.I covered the back of the tank with aluminum foil to keep the sun Directly off my tank.White bristol board to cover the back works well too.
Less light for a while will also help.

iKineUno
06-04-2009, 11:48 PM
In addition to the previously stated, green water IME is also due somewhat to water flow. You dont state how large your tank is, but I am assuming its somewhere in the 4-6ft range. Adding additional filtration and water flow will help clear the tank up and keep it that way, as well as the window shade. Also 130watts is quite a bit of light on a tank without live plants, how long are they on?

Its a 90 gallon (4' x 2' x 18"). The lights are on for the better part of the day. Averagin from 7am till about 7-8pm.

I have a large tank directly in front of a large window.
I have a black painted background.I covered the back of the tank with aluminum foil to keep the sun Directly off my tank.White bristol board to cover the back works well too.
Less light for a while will also help.

Thats not a bad idea, the window has some foil on it now but it has mostly come off due to the fact that i always get mad when trying to open that worn out ole window.

Move water movement- Add a powerhead or two. Your cichlids will appreciate it and it will give them some exercise.

I just added a hefty powerhead so the water is flowing pretty good, the thing even tosses the oscars around a bit if there not carefull lol.

MCHRKiller
06-04-2009, 11:55 PM
Glad youve added a powerhead that should help out alot :) I would also suggest putting your light on a timer for no more than 5-6hrs a day when you will be viewing the tank or adding some live plants to the tank to make use of the lighting so algae wont be so much of a problem.

iKineUno
06-04-2009, 11:59 PM
Glad youve added a powerhead that should help out alot :) I would also suggest putting your light on a timer for no more than 5-6hrs a day when you will be viewing the tank or adding some live plants to the tank to make use of the lighting so algae wont be so much of a problem.

Well, i've considered live plants but cichlids have a tendency to be pretty violent towards them. Are there any plants that cichlids will have a tendency to not eat up as much? I heard most ferns have a bitter taste that cichlids are'nt so much a fan of. Apparently they like moss balls, so I know that atleast those are out of the question.

iKineUno
06-05-2009, 12:18 AM
Also, I do have a coralife UV sterelizer (i need to pick up a bulb though), will this help keep the algae away?

Zilla
06-05-2009, 01:09 AM
UV sterilizers won't fix the problem. It will appear to do so, but the good stuff in the tank will also be killed off. Not good... It's best just to deal with the problem and move on.

I agree that your lights are on for way too long. Shorten your photo period, especially if you're going to continue to allow the tank to get sunlight.

Except for dwarf cichlids, most other species of cichlids as far as I know are rough on plants and there isn't any that can take that type of a beating. I had convicts many years ago and they never played nice with fake plants, never mind real ones. They'd drag them around the tank like it was some type of funky leash. LOL

If you can, you can turn down the powerhead a bit. LOL It's not there to blow fish around. It's only to create water movement and to prevent algae from collecting and taking up residence in any given area of the tank.

MCHRKiller
06-05-2009, 01:39 AM
A couple of hours with the UV will cure your green water. There are actually benefits to UV steralization and aquarium use...do a search on Redox Reduction and fish immunity :22:

Crinum would probably work well...it grows tall and would have some floating strands which would block out some light...not to mention it is generally pretty tough and herbivore resistant. Also moss and ferns fall into that category as well...most anubias also tend to do alright.

iKineUno
06-06-2009, 05:56 AM
If you can, you can turn down the powerhead a bit. LOL It's not there to blow fish around. It's only to create water movement and to prevent algae from collecting and taking up residence in any given area of the tank.

I was thinking about doing that already lol, but it doesnt have a regulator so im trying to find a way do so. They have fun in it though thumbs2:

Crinum would probably work well...it grows tall and would have some floating strands which would block out some light...not to mention it is generally pretty tough and herbivore resistant. Also moss and ferns fall into that category as well...most anubias also tend to do alright.

Thats cool, ill check those out. Im still unable to plant anything yet because i have yet to recieve my gravel..argh.