PDA

View Full Version : If I wanted piranhas...

bmth1231
06-04-2009, 04:54 AM
What exactly should i do/get?
I was thinking red bellies. How many could I get comfortably into a 60 gallon tank?

Gayle
06-04-2009, 05:03 AM
I do not think that piranhas are very good fish for beginners.

Northernguy
06-04-2009, 05:11 AM
Demjor knows pirahnas.I don't think his could turn around in a 60.lol
Here is some info!
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/predatory/piranha.php

bmth1231
06-04-2009, 05:17 AM
I researched them a bunch and i'm prettty sure I could handle them

MCHRKiller
06-04-2009, 07:21 AM
I actually wouldnt do any of the shoaling species of piranha in less than 100gallons. I would instead however stick to a single serrasalmus piranha, as there are alot of species that are fairly common in piranha legal states or online that will not outgrow that tank. My personal fav Serra under 10" is a Spilopleura...they get about 8" and really just look like a killer fish. Of course the tank would make a nice grow out for a young Rhombeus, as Rhoms grow so slowly youd probably get a couple of years out of the 60G tank from a young(cheap) juvie. Plus they are fairly common and if you didnt wish to upgrade you could always re-sell the fish for considerably more than you paid for it.

Algenco
06-04-2009, 11:10 AM
I don't think they're legal in Florida

Demjor19
06-04-2009, 12:15 PM
I actually wouldnt do any of the shoaling species of piranha in less than 100gallons. I would instead however stick to a single serrasalmus piranha, as there are alot of species that are fairly common in piranha legal states or online that will not outgrow that tank. My personal fav Serra under 10" is a Spilopleura...they get about 8" and really just look like a killer fish. Of course the tank would make a nice grow out for a young Rhombeus, as Rhoms grow so slowly youd probably get a couple of years out of the 60G tank from a young(cheap) juvie. Plus they are fairly common and if you didnt wish to upgrade you could always re-sell the fish for considerably more than you paid for it.

This is all pretty much dead on! My favorite Serra under 10" would have to be the sanchezi (purple phase)! Had one for several years (before getting my Rhom) and it was stunning to look at and they stay in the 6-8 inch range!

Edit: Here is a pic of my old one
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/KaraJ0/Monster%20Fish/DSCN1518.jpg

A Rhom could honestly probably live in a 60g for most of its life (may get a little cramped though). I have never seen one raised in captivity that reached more than 10-11 inches and that was about a 15-20 year old fish. They are just a fish that does not grow well in captivity...don't know why?

I don't think they're legal in Florida

Bingo!

Mvjnz
06-04-2009, 01:00 PM
I researched them a bunch and i'm prettty sure I could handle them

If you've researched them 'a bunch', you shouldn't have needed to ask any questions about what to get and how many etc.

Northernguy
06-04-2009, 03:10 PM
If you've researched them 'a bunch', you shouldn't have needed to ask any questions about what to get and how many etc.
lol I agree but then we would all get really bored looking at a web site with no questions!
We all ask about stuff that is easily searched out on the net!That doesn't help one get suggestions from others experienced in the feild or with those fish!
I say "Ask away!"

Red
06-04-2009, 03:34 PM
lol I agree but then we would all get really bored looking at a web site with no questions!
We all ask about stuff that is easily searched out on the net!That doesn't help one get suggestions from others experienced in the feild or with those fish!
I say "Ask away!"

I agree, and thats why I ask beginners to just shoot me a pm if they have a quick question. But I agree with demjor, I saw a 6 year old rhom and he was about 7"

Demjor19
06-04-2009, 03:34 PM
I say "Ask away!"

Very true...these forums don't have much of a purpose if there is no one to help! Although sharing fish and pics is pretty fun!

Just to reiterate though...Piranha's are illegal to keep/posses in FL.

bmth1231
06-04-2009, 04:41 PM
Just to reiterate though...Piranha's are illegal to keep/posses in FL.

I forgot to check that. Thanks

MCHRKiller
06-04-2009, 05:52 PM
This is all pretty much dead on! My favorite Serra under 10" would have to be the sanchezi (purple phase)! Had one for several years (before getting my Rhom) and it was stunning to look at and they stay in the 6-8 inch range!

Edit: Here is a pic of my old one
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/KaraJ0/Monster%20Fish/DSCN1518.jpg

A Rhom could honestly probably live in a 60g for most of its life (may get a little cramped though). I have never seen one raised in captivity that reached more than 10-11 inches and that was about a 15-20 year old fish. They are just a fish that does not grow well in captivity...don't know why?

Bingo!

Thats a great looking piranha! Ive never owned a Serra, just a few Pygros. But when I re-sat my 150G up a couple of years ago I almost bought a 15" black diamond rhom, but at about the same time I got an offer on my peruvian Os for free so I took those and kept my $600:hmm3grin2orange:

One day Ill get that big wild caught rhom:22:

If you dont want to risk paying some fines, look into some Exodons...you could keep a whole bunch of them there...imagine 20 sets of jaws:14:

Demjor19
06-05-2009, 02:18 AM
Thats a great looking piranha! Ive never owned a Serra, just a few Pygros. But when I re-sat my 150G up a couple of years ago I almost bought a 15" black diamond rhom, but at about the same time I got an offer on my peruvian Os for free so I took those and kept my $600:hmm3grin2orange:

One day Ill get that big wild caught rhom:22:

If you dont want to risk paying some fines, look into some Exodons...you could keep a whole bunch of them there...imagine 20 sets of jaws:14:

A 15" Black Diamond would have been awesome! The only downfall to big Rhoms is their price tag though. In the end...I too would take a nice cichlid over a Piranha though. No comparison when it comes to personality.

MCHRKiller
06-05-2009, 02:50 AM
Thats the thing with Piranha...theyre fun to feed, good for conversation with your friends standing around with a beer...but outside that most of them are kinda bland on the personality scale. That was a sweet fish tho, big red eyes monster teeth and it was aggressive...its former owner had to do tank maintenance one end at a time keeping a divider between his arm and the fish.

Demjor19
06-05-2009, 03:02 AM
Thats the thing with Piranha...theyre fun to feed, good for conversation with your friends standing around with a beer...but outside that most of them are kinda bland on the personality scale. That was a sweet fish tho, big red eyes monster teeth and it was aggressive...its former owner had to do tank maintenance one end at a time keeping a divider between his arm and the fish.

HAHA! You don't have to tell me about it! I'm staring at one right now! :hmm3grin2orange:
I clean my tank the same way and it's the only tank I wont have a few beers while doing tank work. I'm trying to keep all 10 digits!

Youre right though...a great conversation piece and totally impressive to be around, but they do lack what most cichlids and other more personable fish have.

Mvjnz
06-05-2009, 03:21 AM
I say "Ask away!"

I wasn't saying that he shouldn't ask, merely pointing out that his claim about doing heaps of research seemed rather unlikely, due to the very basic nature of his questions.

MCHRKiller
06-05-2009, 03:57 AM
lol, Im totally envious of anyone with a nice Rhom...even tho theyre kind of bland I still want one :22:

TrueTexan
06-13-2009, 05:10 PM
1. Look at your state laws because I know they are illegal in some states(like mine texas)
2. Don't get to many they do grow very large.

HorrorShowRot
06-14-2009, 01:58 AM
Also piranhas if you have 2 they may start eating each other. xD I have seen it happen.

gokulshol
06-20-2009, 06:45 AM
Hi,

I would like to know the difference between pyrogentrus and serrasalmus and if they can be kept together