PDA

View Full Version : Good combo?

liamoi
03-10-2006, 11:18 PM
Ok, So I've finally decided on a texas (carpinte) on his own with no other large males for my 272 litre (71 us gallons) 'L' shaped tank!! However i was wondering if would be feasible to add a pair of something smaller that could provide some extra intrest and also some fry for the texas to eat? It would have to be something that didn't fet too agro for the texas once it had fry!! Any ideas for the potential pair!?! Also is there any extra/ alternative fish i could add ( something like livebearers that could add some live food would be nice!!).
Thanks for your help in making up my ever changing mind!!!!

William
03-12-2006, 07:41 AM
Well convicts will do well and will provide him with tons of fry to eat but you have a number of other choices such as firemouth cichlids.

liamoi
03-12-2006, 09:45 AM
yeah wot else might i try? i want something that the texas won't kill but that won't be too aggressive to the texas either!?

William
03-13-2006, 04:11 AM
Are you looking for any color or behaviour in particular?

liamoi
03-13-2006, 06:12 PM
no just some thing that can go in there with the carpintis and will survive and produce fry for him to eat but wont damage him!?

William
03-14-2006, 01:06 AM
Well in that case I wold suggest any of the small cichlids species that previously belonged to the genus chiclasoma or perhaps some African river cichlids such as different tilapia species.

Personally I have a soft spot for C. sajica

liamoi
03-14-2006, 08:51 PM
yeah i was thinking of sajica! do you think they'd be reasonably unagressive with the texas and also able to live with his agro tendancies?

William
03-15-2006, 02:58 AM
I am more or less sure of it. I love the small creatures and have kept them in a lot of different setups. Examples of such setups is that I have kept them together with breeding pairs of Managuense and Festae, 4 times larger than the Sajica pairs and they did great and stood up to the big bullies. They where even able to raise fry in this company. Another setup featured Sajica together with angels and dicus fish and they never caused any problem what so ever. I even kept them with killi fish without any problem. They are in my eyes close to the perfect community cichlid as they seem to find their place in just about any setup without causing any problems.

This opinion is based on experince with both aquarium breed and wildcaught Sajicas.

You can read about one of my more interesting experinces with A. sajica in the article below.
Unusual breeding behaviour in wild caught A. Sajica (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/universal-viewid169.html)

William
03-15-2006, 03:03 AM
I Just remeber I have actually kept Sajica with Texas cichlids for a while. Maybe 6 months or so.

The Sajica was a breeding pair, and the Texas cichlids where relativly young, anout 3 inches / 10 cm (1.5 inch/ 5 cm when I first put them togheter) and I never had any problem with the combination. Not even when the Sajica was breeding.

However it should be said that my aquariums always are decorated to create a lot natural territotial borders which helps reduce aggression.

liamoi
03-16-2006, 10:41 PM
Thanks a lot mate! really helpful, looks like sajica it is then!!! cheerrs!

William
03-17-2006, 02:54 AM
Cheers!

Let me know how it turns out.

kes
01-07-2007, 07:41 PM
Your thread convinced me to get a pair of Sajicas too! The LFS said they were a good bet and you've persuaded me even more.

Not sure if I've got a pair (apparently they're really hard to sex as youngsters) but already they've settled in grand! I think they look lovely in a subtle way.. I love their blue cheeks! :thumb:

Drumachine09
01-07-2007, 07:47 PM
How big do sajicas get, and are they hard to keep?

kes
01-08-2007, 09:01 AM
My LFS said they grow to about 4" and are really good community cichlids, they've settled in well with my community tank so far...Not sure how old they have to be before the sexes differentiate though.

jeffs99dime
01-08-2007, 03:29 PM
just like any other cichlid, there's always a chance of aggression at any time. just keep that in mind and keep a close eye on them

kes
01-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Ha ha!! Wise words spoken just a little too late for my Tetra, Jeff!

Anyone thinking of cichlids in the community, check out my 'so...' post in general forum. I wouldn't dream of getting rid of my Sajicas but it has made me extra wary of them with the little guys..

jeffs99dime
01-12-2007, 05:48 PM
Ha ha!! Wise words spoken just a little too late for my Tetra, Jeff!

Anyone thinking of cichlids in the community, check out my 'so...' post in general forum. I wouldn't dream of getting rid of my Sajicas but it has made me extra wary of them with the little guys..

with cichlids, anything is possible. they can be aggressive even with their own kind. ask any african cichlid owner, they'll confirm! lol

Severus
01-12-2007, 08:52 PM
Its weird that your sajica ate that tetra because over the past few days my JD has been getting more aggresive as well and making sure everyone knows he is the king of the tank