PDA

View Full Version : Community Betta

kenyth
03-08-2007, 04:23 PM
I hear that a single Betta makes a good community fish, but I'm skeptical. I have Neons and Danios and had planned on a few shrimp. Will a Betta try and make a snack of these?

Severus
03-08-2007, 04:29 PM
He shouldnt. My gf has had a male Betta in her 20g community for a few months now. He keeps to himself and never bothers anyone else ( platys, danios, tetras) Noone bothers him either.

Betta_noob
03-08-2007, 04:37 PM
Well they don't necessarily make "good community fish" they make ok community fish with select kinds.
I would worry about the shrimp though as bettas are notorious for snacking on them, especially when the shrimp molt.

That being said they should be ok with the neons and the danios.
BUT you should always be prepared to yank him out if necessary, always have a back up home.

sergo
03-08-2007, 05:28 PM
i have a single female in my 55 gal and she's probably the happiest out of the bunch.

Rue
03-08-2007, 08:04 PM
...it's week 6 of my 'bettas in the community tank' experiment...

...and so far everyone is playing nice...

AquaQueen
03-09-2007, 12:18 AM
I have heard they don't do well in community tanks but I had to give it a whirl...I have had my betta about two months now(I think) and he is the happiest fish in my tank well besides my goldfish...but anyway he is in with a Blue Gourami, 2 neons, 2 Phantom tetra, 2 red eye tetra and my goldfish and there has only been one problem...my betta ate a few guppy fry before we got them a home. Other then that one time the betta has been in his glory living where he is raher then that stinking cup he was in.

cocoa_pleco
03-09-2007, 12:28 AM
my betta got platy attacked. Wonder what kind of shape the betta that comes with my tank tomorrow is in.

Rue
03-09-2007, 12:39 AM
Two bettas!!! Now you're a betta collecta...

cocoa_pleco
03-09-2007, 12:41 AM
im contemplating if i should get a divider, plop the kinfish and betta and flying fox in one half, and my betta in the 3g in the other half. Im leaning towards not. A 10g is too small to divide.

Rue
03-09-2007, 12:50 AM
...a bit too small maybe...but an opaque divider would allow you to keep the two males nicely in the same tank...

cocoa_pleco
03-09-2007, 01:26 AM
its okay. i wouldnt have anything else for the 3g, so il keep the 10 undivided

Betta_noob
03-09-2007, 03:38 PM
I have heard they don't do well in community tanks but I had to give it a whirl...I have had my betta about two months now(I think) and he is the happiest fish in my tank well besides my goldfish...but anyway he is in with a Blue Gourami, 2 neons, 2 Phantom tetra, 2 red eye tetra and my goldfish and there has only been one problem...my betta ate a few guppy fry before we got them a home. Other then that one time the betta has been in his glory living where he is raher then that stinking cup he was in.

Just for the record its generally frowned upon to keep goldfish with the kind of fish you are keeping them with.
Because of the fact that, they're cold water fish, the rest of your fish are tropical. Goldfish produce the most waste and amonia out there, and your goldfish if properly taken care of will eventually be a foot or so and not fit for community life style unless it's with other goldfish.

kenyth
03-12-2007, 01:31 PM
Well, I put in a pretty red Betta and he seems to be doing fine. He doesn't bother the other fish and the other fish don't bother him. He even ate shortly after putting him in the tank, so I'm guessing all is well.

ArmanS
03-17-2007, 05:06 AM
I have a male betta in my tank, I have :
1 Male Betta
1 Blue Guoramis
1 Gold Guaromis
1 Chinese Algea Eater
1 Pair of Guppies
1 Molly
1 Neon Tetra
1 Tetra

Had my betta in with them for about 1 and a half months now and no dead fish, he loves it so much more then those small 2.5 g tanks! swims around so much

roulfi004
04-21-2007, 05:35 AM
I've had mine in a community tank for 4 months now, with bitter and smaller peaceful fish. The betta seems really happy, even with 8 Tiger Barbs, who seem more interested in picking on each other than other fish. thumbs2:

So no problems so far... except that i had a mysterious guppy and neon killer, so i had to replace the remaining guppies and neons with something bigger.

Betta_noob
04-21-2007, 02:41 PM
I have a male betta in my tank, I have :
1 Male Betta
1 Blue Guoramis
1 Gold Guaromis
1 Chinese Algea Eater
1 Pair of Guppies
1 Molly
1 Neon Tetra
1 Tetra

Had my betta in with them for about 1 and a half months now and no dead fish, he loves it so much more then those small 2.5 g tanks! swims around so much

Just to warn you the Chinese Algae Eater when it gets full grown will probally eat the fins of your betta. And you probally shouldn't be keeping labryinth fish with other labryinth fish. But good luck :/
Oh and thats not fair to the tetras to only be by themselves, they're heavily schooling fish by nature, you shold try to pick more up for them...