PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Friends

Fishbagger
06-03-2009, 02:29 AM
With so many tiger barb fans evident in this forum, I figure I'll find some sympathizers...

I'm tired relegating this beautiful fish to such a villian and settling on black tetras. I'm getting a tiger barb school! At least seven or eight. I want to put some green terrors with them in a 55 gallon, but I also would like some corydoras. Do you think they'd be safe down in all the lumber, rocks and plants in a well aquascaped tank?

What are some other schooling fish who might be able to do okay with the barbs in the event I can't get them to focus their punctilious pugilism inwards? I would like to have another school of seven or so fish.

mommy1
06-03-2009, 02:31 AM
i have both green tiger barbs and pands corys. the barbs dont bother the corys. at least not in my tank. cant give any advice on the GT's as i've never had them.

Owlbehere
06-03-2009, 02:59 AM
My tigers lived with cory and tetra and platy until they moved to their own tank. They were fine, I had enough to keep the bullying within the school.

jaysee
06-03-2009, 03:03 AM
I agree that corys and tigers are fine, and also cannot say about a GT as I've never kept them either.

I will say that when I had the tigers in a tank by themselves and tried introducing new fish, they were all over them and I had to remove the new fish. However, when I moved the tigers to another tank with fish already in it, they don't bother anyone. They killed one of the kuhli loaches when I put the loaches in the TB tank, but later when I put the tigers in the tank with the kuhlis, there were and are no problems at all.

Fishbagger
06-03-2009, 03:19 AM
Oh, yeah, the tigers will definitely go in either last, or second to last before the terrors.

jaysee
06-03-2009, 06:09 AM
Mine are different sizes, which looks nice imo.

PostalPenguin
06-03-2009, 10:10 PM
Mine are currently living with an oto. The oto was introduced after the tigers and besides some initial curiosity they have left him alone. When the oto swims around the tigers even try to school with him.

pazbich3
06-04-2009, 08:07 PM
Can't comment on the GT's, but as other's have mentioned the Corys will due fine with the barbs. Corys are bottom dwellers and barbs are mid-upper.

With that, I have a Kribensis pair that went in about a year after I haad my barbs, and all is well. THe kribs love to chase the barbs away from any sinking food and the male protects the female. Will be interesting if/when they finally have babies...

10lbBass
06-06-2009, 05:06 PM
I've been successful with a school of zebra danios along with my tiger barbs. They get along just fine. I've also got 6 corys and no problems there either.

Oscar_freak12321
06-06-2009, 06:46 PM
Tiger barbs are a lot faster than GTs, and would probably last in the tank. No guarantees, though. I'm not sure the GT would allow the cories.

jaysee
06-07-2009, 04:23 AM
Tiger barbs are a lot faster than GTs, and would probably last in the tank. No guarantees, though. I'm not sure the GT would allow the cories.

I'd be concerned about the GT (or anything for that matter) trying to eat a cory, since the spines will no doubt get the cory lodged in their mouth. I remember not too long ago MrJim's comet tried to eat a cory or an otto and had to cut it to pieces to save the comet.

TrueTexan
06-13-2009, 03:40 PM
Well, what i've heard is any fish bigger than the tiger barb is safe from bullying.

jaysee
06-13-2009, 06:30 PM
Well, what i've heard is any fish bigger than the tiger barb is safe from bullying.

I don't know about that. The bigger fish might not get bullied but harrassed to death instead. Also, if you are talking about one tiger barb and a larger fish that may be true, but when a pack of tiger barbs targets a fish, you better have the net ready.

Fishbagger - corys need a good amount of open floor space so if the tank will have rocks and stuff all over then they won't be happy.