PDA

View Full Version : Mantis Shrimp tank?

Red
06-03-2009, 01:51 AM
Could I keep a mantis shrimp, Odontodactylus Havanensis or Neogonodactylus wennerae or Gonodactylus chiragra in a 20Long with about 20 pounds of liverock? Nothing else, just the mantis?

saix88
06-03-2009, 02:08 AM
Make sure it's an acrylic tank, deep sand bed, and a titanium heater.

Red
06-03-2009, 02:27 AM
is the acrylic tank a must?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-03-2009, 02:37 AM
If you want it to continue to hold water then it is a pretty good idea. A smasher Mantis would easily break a 20gal tank. Now if you have a spearing species of mantis then the glass tank would be fine. You can keep it in a glass tank, but I personally wouldn't do it.

saix88
06-03-2009, 02:37 AM
is the acrylic tank a must?

Nah I read it's a rare occasion of them breaking the glass when digging. You can never be to safe just like you can't have to much flow or filtration ;) So I would go acrylic. It is very important to have a DEEP substrate for them to burrow in. I would say about 6 inches of sand. If the heater is going inside the tank it must be titanium.

You will most likely rarely see them, but I've read they are incredibly intelligent and amazing eye sight so they are interesting to watch and to be watched :hmm3grin2orange:

Red
06-03-2009, 02:39 AM
If you want it to continue to hold water then it is a pretty good idea. A smasher Mantis would easily break a 20gal tank. Now if you have a spearing species of mantis then the glass tank would be fine. You can keep it in a glass tank, but I personally wouldn't do it.

LOL the first line of you statement made me crack up haa.
What would be the min/ size for the mantis above? I know they all stay quite small but what would you say is best?
And thats ok about not seeing him, as long as he is alive, and I see him once a week, I am fine with it. Would I have to worry about gas pockets forming, or will he do the job for me?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-03-2009, 02:42 AM
Well, if you want to call a 6" shrimp small then I guess you can. LOL I'd say a 20L would be fine except for the fact it will be about half full of sand. Personally I'd go for something more like a 37g tall.

Red
06-03-2009, 02:44 AM
Interesting, thought I heard somewhere that these above get around 4". I just want to be able to put my hand on the other side of the tank, of the mantis haa. HOw much liverock do you think will be needed..

saix88
06-03-2009, 02:44 AM
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/species.php?name=o_havanensis 20 gallons

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/species.php?name=n_wennerae 5-10 gallons

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/species.php?name=g_chiragra 5-10 gallons

They are all smashers, so go with an acrylic tank definitely.

saix88
06-03-2009, 02:48 AM
Interesting, thought I heard somewhere that these above get around 4". I just want to be able to put my hand on the other side of the tank, of the mantis haa. HOw much liverock do you think will be needed..

Species vary, the ones you want are small.

Red
06-03-2009, 02:49 AM
How bad would it hurt to get by a smasher that is only 3". And how much liverock for lets say a ten gallon acylic..

saix88
06-03-2009, 02:54 AM
How bad would it hurt to get by a smasher that is only 3". And how much liverock for lets say a ten gallon acylic..

I've heard it feels like getting shot with a .22. They will easily open up your finger.

I would go with a little less then 10lbs since with displacement you won't have 10g of water. It would also be good to have some pvc in the tank, but don't have it near the edges of the tank.

saix88
06-03-2009, 02:55 AM
Like barb said, try to get a tall tank since most of your tank will be sand.

Red
06-03-2009, 02:55 AM
LOL, awesome.
I am getting pumped for this. But the thing is, I have to find a mantis shrimp that stays small :(

saix88
06-03-2009, 03:03 AM
LOL, awesome.
I am getting pumped for this. But the thing is, I have to find a mantis shrimp that stays small :(

Well all the ones you want do stay small. You could always go to a marine shop and go in when they get their live rock shipment and there should be plenty of choosing of the shrimp. If the shrimp gets to big you can always give it to someone or to a sushi or chinese restaurant ;) *yes many people do eat them, but I don't know the exact species if it matters*

Red
06-03-2009, 03:05 AM
LOL, they can come and take it out of my tank, and kill it themselves :).
I will talk to my LFS.. I bet they cost and arm and leg (get it haa)
thanks for the help saiz88

saix88
06-03-2009, 03:08 AM
LOL, they can come and take it out of my tank, and kill it themselves :).
I will talk to my LFS.. I bet they cost and arm and leg (get it haa)
thanks for the help saiz88

np, you actually helped me because I'm really bored and just decided to look them up and found a lot of interesting facts and care. I want a tank too now :P Unfortunately I want many other tanks first lol

Red
06-03-2009, 03:09 AM
Thats my problem too, I have around 25-30 fw tanks, and want a sw tank. But then I don't want to take one down for the sw..

blacksnow
06-04-2009, 01:57 AM
My LFS has mantis shrimp for $30. They are the clown mantis shrimp.

I wanted to setup a lil biocube or something just to keep one. I find them amazing =]

Mustang Boy
08-02-2009, 11:57 PM
ok i had a mantis up until recently and i am here to unlock some of the myths of a mantis

there are only a few species of mantis that have the striking force to break a glass tank and that is only the larger species like peacocks and such and that is only when they get quite large like the 5-6"+ range and only if provoked(so dont provoke your mantis to hit the glass for fun) the only other way one could or would break a tank is if the sand bed were too shallow and it was trying to strike its prey and it reaching the bottom of the tank and missing the prey and in that case you could lay a sheet of acrylic down under your sand bed to prevent that from happening. But i do agree a titanium heater would be beneficial if not running a sump or HOB refugium(that could fit a heater)

and yes if a small mantis in the 3" range struck you, you would definitely not put your hand into that situation again because you will more than likely have a nice cut on your hand. but on a good note there have been several people that have been able to hand feed their mantis shrimp frozen food regularly but these are only the most daring of people who have of course been struck atleast once.

also do not go overboard with lighting because mantis shrimp can form shell rot from too much light/too strong of lighting which can make them sick and eventually die

and on that same note i am planning on setting up a new 30g breeder for a future peacock myself and i am just searching around and finding what equipment i want to use so that the setup wont cost me an arm and a leg

jman
08-04-2009, 04:52 AM
i would recommend a top they can get excited sometimes, too much sometimes

jackson17
08-05-2009, 04:02 PM
I want one so bad. They look so cool. You can't house any fish with them right?

Red
08-05-2009, 04:25 PM
RIght, unless you want them to be dinner :)

jackson17
08-05-2009, 07:21 PM
Dam. Thats going to be a hard battle with the girlfriend, shes pushing a saltwater tank hard, but she wanst some nemos and a dory, not a 3 inch beast that destroys everything that comes in contact with the water lol

Mustang Boy
08-06-2009, 01:31 AM
well that isnt entirely true there are many people that house fish with their mantis but it is hit or miss to whether your mantis will allow fish to be housed in the tank without becoming dinner. On one of my forums there is a guy that has a mantis in his 75g(i think its a 75g) reef tank with fish and corals and clean up crew(which has to be added too every once in awhile) but this is only possible with a smasher type mantis a spearer is the opposite will eat the fish but leave the clean up crew alone