PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Riccia and Amazon Frogbit?

blacksnow
06-03-2009, 01:50 AM
I ditched my hornwort =O. Stuff made a freaken mess. I gave it a try..just wasn't for me!

I'm highly interested in the Amazon Frogbits, to provide cover on 1 side of my tank.

Just want to make sure my lights will be enough though. My tank is 125g 6' x 18" x 22". I have two 36" dual lamp t5 fixtures, one on each side...

If possible I'd like to float some Amazon Frogbit, and some Riccia.

opinions?

korith
06-03-2009, 03:52 AM
Just want to make sure my lights will be enough though. My tank is 125g 6' x 18" x 22". I have two 36" dual lamp t5 fixtures, one on each side...

If possible I'd like to float some Amazon Frogbit, and some Riccia.

opinions?

Riccia is alright, it does float, but small bits of will break off and end up in everything. It's manageable though. I like the look of it, got a few large clumps floating in the shrimp tanks.

How about water lettuce? it's a nice plant and easy to care for.

Since the plants you are adding are floating right at the top, you don't really to worry about your lighting. The fixture you have will give more than enough light.

A nice side effect of the floating plants is, the fish will start going into the upper regions on the tank more, since it's not so open anymore.

Jacko
06-03-2009, 03:57 AM
If you go with frogbit, I'd mix some water lettuce in with it, the frogbit has stringier roots while the water lettuce has more bushy ones and together they turn out alot nicer IMO than either of them alone plain.

I would be hesitant mixing riccia with the frogbit because it's gonna want the light and eventually the frogbit would block out most of the light for it.

blacksnow
06-03-2009, 11:32 AM
Thanks!

I ordered some frogbit, and some water lettuce. I think that side of the tank will look awesome =]

Jacko
06-03-2009, 10:45 PM
Just a question, but how do you propose to keep it on just one side of your tank? IME, it spreads out no matter where you put it, any filter flow will make it move where it's most... comfortable... I don't think that's the word I'm looking for, but you get the idea...:hmm3grin2orange:

smaug
06-03-2009, 11:00 PM
I just got some azolla.It grows easy enough and definetly provides surface cover.To keep it on one side of the tank get 2 suction cups that you can tie a string to.Attach cups to front and back of tank subscribing the part you wish to keep the stuff,attach a black thread between the cups keeping the thread at surface level.There ya go,a corral.

blacksnow
06-04-2009, 02:56 AM
I just got some azolla.It grows easy enough and definetly provides surface cover.To keep it on one side of the tank get 2 suction cups that you can tie a string to.Attach cups to front and back of tank subscribing the part you wish to keep the stuff,attach a black thread between the cups keeping the thread at surface level.There ya go,a corral.

This is exactly what I was going to do!

TBH my hornwort all stayed on the side of the tank I wanted it too.

I have some suction cups left from running air tubing in my other tank. And a string across will def keep everything on 1 side =]