PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Brabs and Otto Cats

KneeKickLou
03-08-2007, 03:01 PM
I recently got some otto cats for my community tank for my alage problem and boy do these little guys work wonders. Now my tiger barb tank need some help on the alage front. Do you all think it would be ok to put a couple of ottos in with my tiger barbs. Its a 20 gallon with 6 tiger barbs. I thinking that it should be ok since the barbs have each other to chase around but just wanted an some other opinions before I go ahead with it. Thanks in advance.

jeffs99dime
03-08-2007, 03:08 PM
i wouldn't. tiger barbs can be aggressive towards even large fish. ottos are small. i think you will run into problems with that combo. i would go with a pleco or cories instead.--jeff

Severus
03-08-2007, 04:10 PM
Yea, you wouldnt want your tiger barbs nipping at your otto cats. The ottos wouldnt be able to stand up to it. I would defintely go with something a little larger

minabird
03-08-2007, 06:04 PM
Instead of otto cats, you can get Siamese Algae Eaters. They grow to about 5"-6". 1 should be ok for your tank.

jeffs99dime
03-08-2007, 06:36 PM
Instead of otto cats, you can get Siamese Algae Eaters. They grow to about 5"-6". 1 should be ok for your tank.

wouldn't those be kinda big for a 20 gallon though?

Chrona
03-08-2007, 07:06 PM
wouldn't those be kinda big for a 20 gallon though?

In my experience, SAE grow rather slowly. I've got one in a 10g tank and he's still like 2.5 inches. Even at the LFS, the biggest they have (in their 120g display tank) is like 4 inches. I think 5-6 inches is the theoretical max, but they don't seem to get that big usually. They are non-aggressive too, so they would not require as much room as say, a 6 inch angelfish.

KneeKickLou
03-08-2007, 08:34 PM
thanks guys I was a little concerned about the barbs nipping ill take a look the LFS and see what they got.

minabird
03-08-2007, 08:37 PM
If the tank is a 20L, 30" long, I think that should provide enough swimming space for it as long as there aren't alot of other fish that occupy the bottom of the tank as they may get territorial as they get older.

Rue
03-08-2007, 09:06 PM
i wouldn't. tiger barbs can be aggressive towards even large fish. ottos are small. i think you will run into problems with that combo. i would go with a pleco or cories instead.--jeff

No! No pleco in a small tank!

I'd second the Chinese or Siamese Algae Eater...or a Flying Fox (which I think is the False Siamese Algae Eater)...

Chrona
03-09-2007, 12:05 AM
No! No pleco in a small tank!

I'd second the Chinese or Siamese Algae Eater...or a Flying Fox (which I think is the False Siamese Algae Eater)...

Chinese algae eaters are aggressive and don't eat algae once they get a taste of fish food. Flying foxes don't eat brush/beard algae like a SAE. Go for the true SAE :)

cocoa_pleco
03-09-2007, 12:38 AM
ditto with chrona. TRUE sae's are your best bet