PDA

View Full Version : how much to feed goldfish?

bigbad-ratman
06-02-2009, 09:29 PM
i see the serving suggestions on the jar, and then i see that for orandas to fully develope their wens, "having feeding is required." i have seen the rule if they dont eat it in 2-3 mins pull it out of the aquarium. well how much do you feed the buggers if i want their wen to develope?

Northernguy
06-02-2009, 09:51 PM
Fishguy 2727 has some info on that in his blog and a lot of other info about golds.I don't think its about over feeding ,I think its about what to feed.
Here is a link to it.http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/journal.php?do=showjournal&j=110

saix88
06-02-2009, 10:13 PM
Feed them New life spectrum or Pro Gold because they have all the amino acids needed for growth and blood worms also help. Your goldfish genetics may also prevent them from growing a wen or a very little one.

labnjab
06-04-2009, 04:34 AM
We feed our 6 fancies (ranging from 3 inches to 6 inches including tails) a large pinch of the NLS goldfish pellets twice a day, and they eat it all in under 5 minuets. Of those 6 we have 3 orandas and they all have varying wen growth.

Our biggest orange oranda is 5 inches long and we've had it for a year and its wen is growing very slow.

On the other hand, our smaller orange oranda at 4 inches long has its wen growing rapidly and if it continues at the rate its going it will have to be trimmed in a year or so. We've only had this one since Febuary and its gone from hardly noticable to almost covering its left eye in in a short period of time.

We haven't had our third oranda (red cap) long enough to see any wen growth, as of now he's only 3 inches long and his wen isn't very noticable.

Just wanted to share our experience with wen growth. I don't think how much they eat is much of a factor because they all eat the same amount and their wens have grown very differently