PDA

View Full Version : Betta Tank Upgrade

WrenDraco
06-02-2009, 09:22 PM
This Friday I'm going to be getting Abalone a glass 2.5 gallon tank, because he needs more heat and I'm afraid to heat a plastic tank too much. I'm just fussed about what sort of filter to put in a 2.5, I don't want to be making too much current and pushing the poor guy around.

I'm looking at a Hagen Elite Mini 3 Gallon filter, it's the smallest one I can find locally, but all the reviewers mention that it creates a very strong flow. I'm not sure how to diffuse the flow if it's too much. I do water changes all the time so the filter is mostly to push the heated water around evenly, anyway.

:help:

Northernguy
06-02-2009, 09:39 PM
If you are getting a new tank get him a ten gallon.It cant be that much difference in cost!
You can get them real cheap used with everything you need.

WrenDraco
06-02-2009, 09:42 PM
If you are getting a new tank get him a ten gallon.It cant be that much difference in cost!
You can get them real cheap used with everything you need.

I HAVE a ten-gallon, but Abalone is a vicious little guy and I'm sure he'd kill all my neons!

I'm not allowed to get any more fish tanks, I'm cheating with the 2.5. It's about the closest thing I can get to a new tank without my landlord getting upset with me.

Northernguy
06-02-2009, 09:49 PM
lol Its a good thing you don't have a water bed!
Can you squeeze in a gallon.
Betas tend to act differently when in a bigger tank and I don't think it could catch a neon or cardinal tetra.Especially if it was decorated properly.Lotsa places for the neons to go if the beta starts after any of them.

thrakuarium
06-02-2009, 10:17 PM
If you need a heated tank you can still do it with a plastic setup and keep a lower water flow. Get the Eclipse 3 setup. It has a biowheel filter mounted at the top of the tank and the lid fits over the whole thing. Then get a hydor mini-heater for in the tank. Thats the exact setup I have my crowntail female in. Around here both can be had for about 60 dollars.

Otherwise my suggestion would be a sponge filter. That would probably generate the least current.

Gayle
06-02-2009, 10:22 PM
Just hide a 10g tank in your room!!! No really what about a 5g? Just tell him its a 2.5g!!

Sharon
06-02-2009, 11:40 PM
You can use a piece of plastic( from a pop bottle) to diffuse the flow....:ssmile:

WrenDraco
06-03-2009, 12:15 AM
lol Its a good thing you don't have a water bed!
Can you squeeze in a gallon.
Betas tend to act differently when in a bigger tank and I don't think it could catch a neon or cardinal tetra.Especially if it was decorated properly.Lotsa places for the neons to go if the beta starts after any of them.

There's six neons, one glowlight (the last of a batch that didn't work out, he seems to be trucking along for now), two otocinclus, and a snail infestation in there already. My filter for the ten gallon is also much too strong, but I don't want to downgrade the filter or there might not be enough aeration for the rest of the fish. The last time I put a Betta in that tank, he got blown around and ended up sick, I don't trust it for another one.

WrenDraco
06-03-2009, 12:16 AM
You can use a piece of plastic( from a pop bottle) to diffuse the flow....:ssmile:
How would I do that? :D

Northernguy
06-03-2009, 12:40 AM
lol I meant can you squeeze in a 5 gallon.(blush)
Here is a link for a diffuzer.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=44359

WrenDraco
06-03-2009, 04:34 AM
The five gallon just *looks* so big, I don't think I could pass it off as "just a little Betta tank," it would definitely be hedging in on the "new actual fish tank" territory. And I LIKE my landlord, and don't really want to make him upset with me or even worse, endanger our lease. I'm grateful that he allowed the cat, gerbils, and one fish tank as it is, so many places here won't let you have any pets at all!

In Ontario, or at least Toronto, it's illegal to deny a tenant for having pets (it comes under infringing upon a tenant's lifestyle). In BC, it's perfectly legal to toss them out for having animals when the lease doesn't say they can specifically. :/ All the pets I have, including the specifically ten gallon tank, are written into my lease and I am not allowed to add to that list. So no more big tanks, and I'm pushing it by getting a small one.

Northernguy
06-03-2009, 04:46 AM
You could fit a 5 gallon in most purses these days! lol:hmm3grin2orange:
At least you can in my wifes!
I do understand your lease agreement.My landlord just tells me wether or not he wants floor supports put in!:19: But what is the difference between a 5 and a 2.5? A tank is a tank when you are breaking your lease.lol

WrenDraco
06-03-2009, 05:11 PM
A 2.5 looks small enough that I could still pass it as a 'bowl' and hide it in the dining room where my landlord isn't likely to notice. :P But I'll see if I can't find a 5 that doesn't look too big for where I'm thinking of putting it.

And thank you for the diffusor link, I'll use that!

ReighnStorm
06-03-2009, 09:38 PM
A 2.5 looks small enough that I could still pass it as a 'bowl' and hide it in the dining room where my landlord isn't likely to notice. :P But I'll see if I can't find a 5 that doesn't look too big for where I'm thinking of putting it.

And thank you for the diffusor link, I'll use that!

I have a 5 gallon heated tank for my betta. I decorated it with a statue of a dragon that is half that size of the tank with stones and one small plant. It makes it look smaller and my betta seems to be very happy with this setup. It gives him something to swim around and growl at. Why don't you try to decorate it to take up most some of the room?

WrenDraco
06-07-2009, 11:39 PM
I ended up getting a Tetra Whisper 3i filter, which is perfect. It's so low-flowing it hardly disturbs the surface, but the pump should be aerating the water nicely and hopefully it's moving the water enough to distribute the warmth from the heater.

Abalone's in the kitchen now, whenever I walk by he follows me along. :) There's a lot more activity there than where he was in the living room, so hopefully he'll be less bored!

http://forums.battle-forum.com/hosted/wrendraco/smallDSC02166.jpg

My other half's step-dad has glass etching equipment, he's going to fix that lid for me so it'll fit down around the filter and heater.

Here's my angryfishy!

http://forums.battle-forum.com/hosted/wrendraco/smallDSC02167.jpg

Those are silk plants, I don't want to put live ones in because the kitchen gets no natural light, so I'd have to put something too bright for a Betta on there.

And a side view. I'm taking the heat up slow, a day at a time, so I don't shock him. He should be at 80F before the end of next week. :)

http://forums.battle-forum.com/hosted/wrendraco/smallDSC02171.jpg