PDA

View Full Version : Insanity...

Sarkazmo
06-02-2009, 05:09 PM
So... me and the little woman went out yesterday to have a day together, get some food, take care of a couple things, and pick up a 10 gallon blank and a few other accessories for the aquarium... and we came home with 7 _SEVEN_ Bettas and a helluva lot more accessories than planned, heh.

4 beautiful females
2 stunning crown males
1 amazing veil male

I'll be putting up pics soon of the new tank with the 4 fems and the 3 males in their new temporary homes.

Anyone else have this kinda insanity?????

Sark

KingFisher
06-02-2009, 05:16 PM
Are you planning on putting all these fish in a 10 gallon tank? If so, they will immediately start fighting and kill each other, and the survivors' fins will be ripped to shreds.

William
06-02-2009, 05:23 PM
I agree. you would need atleast 50 gallon to pull that combination of and even then it would require an very well designed setup designed to reduce aggression and allow each fish to have their own territory.

I would not recommend anyone to keep more then one male that are not very familiar with how to setup an aquarium to reduce aggression.

Red
06-02-2009, 05:24 PM
I agree, I keep in my 75, 7 females for my one male...

Sarkazmo
06-02-2009, 05:44 PM
No no no... The males will have their own tanks. The females will be in the 10 for now. It's going to be HEAVILY planted in about a month. And, as you can see from the pic, the females are TINY.

Here's a quick pic of the setup. 10 gallon, 2/3 Eco Complete, 1/3 white marine sand. Water's conditioned with Start Right and EasyBalance as well as bacteria in the Eco Complete. The new Penguin 100 is running cycled media and a DIY flow diverter. The pants are Java Moss, Dwarf Baby Tears, and Cardinal Plant.

http://j4d7bw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pbYUqUu782afGvipk_1JRPSBHlpKIBkXxLHrMi5svTPI6RX5-dXl2dNrFEfycMHZwjYPijpDmILrg0ehasJBSJG9LzIPEbLvi/100_4026.jpg

Please, guys, I'm not a fool. I'd not put all seven of those in my 135 gallon, let alone a 10. :(

Sark

PS: If there's overt aggression the girls will be separated.

Sarkazmo
06-02-2009, 08:29 PM
Here's a pic of one of our new male bettas. He's in a temporary home right now but we'll soon hook him up with his own domain. :)

Sark

http://j4d7bw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pVnm51SgUwtrOKae2xPMYUTqTfmXg1-343R6pvXXM9FV3TTIbQsM-3ZxA3OM26HF2pEOIX00qMk9Vnj26hflP27XNBJ_zDGxd/BlueRed%20Crown.JPG

Gayle
06-02-2009, 08:45 PM
He is very pretty!!!!! I like the tank you have for the females, it looks like it will be very nice when it is all grown up.

KingFisher
06-02-2009, 08:49 PM
Glad to hear they weren't all going in the same tank. That would have really been insanity. They all look awesome. Very understandable that you could not resist buying them. thumbs2:

Sarkazmo
06-02-2009, 10:22 PM
Here's the other two males we got yesterday.

Sark

PS: The red crown is CONSTANTLY displaying... dunno why!

http://j4d7bw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pGolNtWc7xjNvTinXYhutfUoWm53rhlAJyE5-IBDMT8L0O36QQwuZWbuXcE5xtGT0WZeH6VfismvIOWnyuWQGvu Ss_xFbvT6F/RedBlue%20Crown.JPG

http://j4d7bw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pLoTMaZcA_sylzOGgAj7tRrx5eCeVKCYdf7Go54tTR4fcySu brlQ6Gmphp8NYTGT4ZP17c2k-vG2v5hSXJ90PSg/WhiteBlueRed.JPG

William
06-02-2009, 10:25 PM
Stunning crown. Glad to hear that you get them for different tanks.

Sorry for assuming the worst but you should only see the insanity we see here sometimes.

Gayle
06-02-2009, 10:26 PM
Oh I love that last one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The red one is cool too. Maybe he just has an attitude problem LOL. I would say he will probably stop displaying all the time once he gets cozy in his new home.

Sharon
06-02-2009, 11:37 PM
Lovely Bettas! I'm not surprised you lost control....:hmm3grin2orange:

Sarkazmo
06-03-2009, 11:34 PM
Ummm... I've been bad today... went to WalMart for a light for the female betta's tank and ended up rescuing another male. I also lodged a complaint with management about the state of the betta bowls. They were in horrible condition!!!! One bowl was so dirty the water was brown.

Sark

Kaz
06-03-2009, 11:56 PM
Sorry for assuming the worst but you should only see the insanity we see here sometimes.

So I was thinking of putting bettas in wine glasses for my wedding...:hmm3grin2orange:

Typej084
06-04-2009, 01:21 AM
Ha! Nice Kaz.:nocomment: There's probably only 1 out of 5 of the fish shops I go to that have decent set-ups for their bettas. At one shop I couldn't believe it, they had to 2 males free swimming in a tank full of guppies! They were flared up and cranky when I saw them (the bettas) I couldn't keep my mouth shut I had to say something but explaining it to them is like :banghead:

Sarkazmo
06-04-2009, 06:46 AM
This one's water wasn't good but it wasn't brown like the one I saw but it wasn't good either. I mean, hell, if they'd just hire someone or multiple someone's that have a decent understanding of how to care for these animals. Every town has it's group of enthusiastic young keepers (young adults) that need part time jobs and such.

Sark

Kaz
06-04-2009, 11:34 AM
Oh my god, I just realized it's Sarcasmo!

Unless, that isn't a creative reference to the tick.

Sarkazmo
06-05-2009, 12:15 AM
Although I love The Tick (the original cartoon and not the live action show) no this nick is not a reference to it. AND I'm not Brazillian, as I'm often asked because in Portuguese "sarkazmo" is the English equivalent of 'sarcastic'. "Sarkazmo" is a name that I made up for a character for the massively multi-player online role playing game (MMORPG) Anarchy Online. I needed a name for a Nano Mage (think far flung future wizard that runs programs instead of casting spells.) It doesn't hurt that I can be sarcastic to the point of being down right evil, heh. :)

Sark

Sarkazmo
06-05-2009, 04:41 AM
I finally gotta pic of the new WalMart rescue betta. I think you'll see why I couldn't resist him. :)

Sark

http://j4d7bw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pRDx3gwopN5Seu-rNtJIi-N0Mxvv3QqClZMu0-LJwjWnZ_uXxDTurOKabgZjSXYEWTba8AvVuA2_1NsQHWcOi74B YALxszqQ3/PurpleOrange%20Veil.JPG

Kaz
06-05-2009, 11:36 AM
Although I love The Tick (the original cartoon and not the live action show) no this nick is not a reference to it. AND I'm not Brazillian, as I'm often asked because in Portuguese "sarkazmo" is the English equivalent of 'sarcastic'. "Sarkazmo" is a name that I made up for a character for the massively multi-player online role playing game (MMORPG) Anarchy Online. I needed a name for a Nano Mage (think far flung future wizard that runs programs instead of casting spells.) It doesn't hurt that I can be sarcastic to the point of being down right evil, heh. :)

Sark

Well, at least you get the reference...

Fraoch
06-05-2009, 01:25 PM
So I was thinking of putting bettas in wine glasses for my wedding...:hmm3grin2orange:

I once saw a betta "bowl" (if you can call it that) that was about this size...maybe smaller!

It was cut/stacked glass in the shape of a heart, obviously intended for Valentine's Day. Very expensive for what you get too, $28.99.

The "bowl" was V-shaped so the betta wouldn't be able to descend, and it was narrow enough that it wouldn't be able to turn around either. It was actually smaller than the cups they are sold in.

I couldn't believe it! And intended for Valentine's Day too!

"Here honey, as an expression of my love for you, watch this fish get slowly tortured to death through extreme confinement. Enjoy!"

Sarkazmo
06-06-2009, 01:52 AM
I once saw a betta "bowl" (if you can call it that) that was about this size...maybe smaller!

It was cut/stacked glass in the shape of a heart, obviously intended for Valentine's Day. Very expensive for what you get too, $28.99.

The "bowl" was V-shaped so the betta wouldn't be able to descend, and it was narrow enough that it wouldn't be able to turn around either. It was actually smaller than the cups they are sold in.

I couldn't believe it! And intended for Valentine's Day too!

"Here honey, as an expression of my love for you, watch this fish get slowly tortured to death through extreme confinement. Enjoy!"

I'll have to wait to reply to this as I feel an attack of 'tourettes' coming on...

Sark

TrueTexan
06-13-2009, 03:26 PM
Beautiful!!! Bettas are such stunning fish, probably one my favorites.