PDA

View Full Version : Met's 10g journal of DOOM

metallspuerhunde
06-02-2009, 12:54 AM
Just a general log to keep track of things. Pictures soon once I find my cam!

Current 10g setup:
x1 Aqueon filter 10
x2 15w Daylight CFL, assuming kelvin is correct
- Fine black gravel mixed with laterite
x1 thermo thing
x1 Cougar skull (fake)
x1 Ill-fated clump of Dwarf hairgrass
x2 Amazon sword-like plants
x2 Lutea
x3 As-yet-to-be-identified Stemmed plants, I am starting to think one of them is also a lutea
x1 Plain Grey Pebble

Need to aquire...:
x1 More kickarse filter
x1 Heater that is not dysfunctional
x1 Proper testing kit
A floating plant of some sort.

Would like aquire...:
Driftwood, perhaps some funky looking stones, black background

Fishless cycling status:
+3 days
All levels where they should be.

Notes:
I am already picking snails off my glass.

troy
06-02-2009, 12:56 AM
Any pictures?thumbs2:

Northernguy
06-02-2009, 12:57 AM
lol Picking snails will give you something to do during the cycle!thumbs2:
I'll watch for pics!:19:

PostalPenguin
06-02-2009, 04:05 AM
Some tips that I've learned from my 10g:
For a filter: AC20, best filter by far short of a canister for a 10g
For a heater: Visitherm stealths are great
I had the same lighting levels on my 10g and had some slight problems with algae but I think with your substrate you will have enough light to grow anything. Look into DIY CO2 if you haven't since 10g is well suited to it.

For a black background get black poster board at a craft store or anywhere school supplies are sold, cut it to size and tape it to the rim. Worked great on my 10g and its dirt cheap, about $1 for a big square of it. Thats enough for several tanks.

Look forward to pics! What fish are you planning on?

metallspuerhunde
06-02-2009, 04:50 AM
Some tips that I've learned from my 10g:
For a filter: AC20, best filter by far short of a canister for a 10g
For a heater: Visitherm stealths are great
I had the same lighting levels on my 10g and had some slight problems with algae but I think with your substrate you will have enough light to grow anything. Look into DIY CO2 if you haven't since 10g is well suited to it.

For a black background get black poster board at a craft store or anywhere school supplies are sold, cut it to size and tape it to the rim. Worked great on my 10g and its dirt cheap, about $1 for a big square of it. Thats enough for several tanks.

Look forward to pics! What fish are you planning on?

Thank you for the tips! :D I was thinking along the same lines as you for the background. Being a college student lacking a paying job I am looking to scrimp and save wherever I can (as I'm sure most of us are lol!) And I am definitely looking into a DIY co2 if I end up needing it. It sounds like a cool and simple thing to build. thumbs2:

Good to know that another person here has used the same lighting. I must have stood in the lightbulb aisle of wally world for a good 20 mins worrying if I was getting the right kind. I suddenly couldn't remember anything I read on here.

As for stock, I am thinking a small school of some kind of tetra and perhaps some shrimp or otos to help clean. ^^

Another question - do I need a small air pump for this thing or can I use an air stone instead?

And here are some pics of my messy tank along with Steve the skull and my lone pebble...the water is not really that cloudy, it's just the crappy camera.

http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/vv118/pidginlove/tank1.jpg
http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/vv118/pidginlove/tank2.jpg
http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/vv118/pidginlove/tank3.jpg

What is that broadleaf plant?

metallspuerhunde
06-04-2009, 06:37 PM
Days: +5
Awesomeness: I am now registering Nitrites!!!

Annnnd...my "swords" have begun sprouting new growth, one of the unidentified plants is unfurling it's leaves and everyone looks green and happy. I also found another snail but left him in there. Hopefully I will not regret it.

metallspuerhunde
06-20-2009, 11:48 PM
Readings as of today:
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 20
Ammonia: .5

Changes made: took out skull ornament in favour of a nice piece of driftwood I am preparing, and perhaps one of those cheesy treasure chests that releases bubbles that always captivated me as a child, lol.

On the plant front: I added a variety of bulbs and most are sprouting! After going through a rough patch, the rest of my plants are looking happy and growing.

I also have a healthy population of pond snails among my algea forest! :hmm3grin2orange: I'll have to tidy this tank up a bit later.

I still need to install a heater and my airstone.

Speaking of airstones...if anyone is reading this, can you please tell me how to set one up? I have the actual "stone" and the tubing, now all I need to do is stop being lazy and get it going.

And why the hell are rocks so expensive in fish stores?! lol!!

So close!!!!!!!!!!!

domjd05
06-21-2009, 12:17 AM
Readings as of today:
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 20
Ammonia: .5

Changes made: took out skull ornament in favour of a nice piece of driftwood I am preparing, and perhaps one of those cheesy treasure chests that releases bubbles that always captivated me as a child, lol.

On the plant front: I added a variety of bulbs and most are sprouting! After going through a rough patch, the rest of my plants are looking happy and growing.

I also have a healthy population of pond snails among my algea forest! :hmm3grin2orange: I'll have to tidy this tank up a bit later.

I still need to install a heater and my airstone.

Speaking of airstones...if anyone is reading this, can you please tell me how to set one up? I have the actual "stone" and the tubing, now all I need to do is stop being lazy and get it going.

And why the hell are rocks so expensive in fish stores?! lol!!

So close!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats on actually having the bulbs grow

Ridding the tank of algae and snails is definately a +

Airstone isn't absolutley nessecary, but seeing how you want to run the treasure chest, and all you have is the stone and some tubing, go to your lfs, or buy a small air pump online, you can get some for around $10 that will work fine for what your looking to do. Once you have the air pump its pretty straight forward, just plug the end of your airline tube onto the output of the air pump and voila.

I would get the heater before adding fish

The rocks are expensive because you are buying them from a retail chain store lol.

metallspuerhunde
06-21-2009, 01:06 AM
Thanks for clearing that up, I thought I read somewhere that another sort of pump was needed for the stone. But you are saying that air stones aren't absolutely necessary? Why so?

Annnnnd not to worry, all my hardware will be in place before adding any little fishies.

domjd05
06-21-2009, 01:40 AM
Well to run the treasure chest decoration you will probably need the airstone if there isn't already one in the decoration, but what I meant it, to properly maintain your tank, you dont HAVE to have an airstone.

Sarkazmo
06-21-2009, 02:00 AM
The air pump and accessories don't really put Oxygen in the water, it's the agitation of the water's surface that really oxygenates the tank. The powerfilter you have is agitating the surface quite a bit, I'd imagine, and that's enough to ensure that you're getting a good amount of o2 into the water. Now don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with running an airpump and a couple airstones to add movement to your tank.

If you're going to use an air pump then you should get a length of airline, a three way gang valve, and a two pack of airstones along with the pump of course.

25' airline: $3
2pk Airstone: $2
3way Gang valve: $5

The gang valve will allow you to adjust the amount of air going to three different accessories. Other wise the pump runs full blast and the air's delivered mostly to whichever accessory that has the lowest amount of water pressure on it. So your treasure chest may be exploding with bubbles while the airstones just barely fizz...

Here's the gang valve I'd recommend: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3669+19780&pcatid=19780

OH!!! One last thing that's often overlooked and that's a CHECK VALVE. This little inline device allows air to go in one direction only. Sometimes when you have a power outtage the water pressure will fill the airline with water very quickly and cause it to start siphoning the water out! So either get a check valve or put the airpump higher than the level of the water. They're only a couple dollars so it's best to get one and save the headache.

Sark

metallspuerhunde
06-21-2009, 02:10 AM
The air pump and accessories don't really put Oxygen in the water, it's the agitation of the water's surface that really oxygenates the tank. The powerfilter you have is agitating the surface quite a bit, I'd imagine, and that's enough to ensure that you're getting a good amount of o2 into the water. Now don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with running an airpump and a couple airstones to add movement to your tank.

If you're going to use an air pump then you should get a length of airline, a three way gang valve, and a two pack of airstones along with the pump of course.

25' airline: $3
2pk Airstone: $2
3way Gang valve: $5

The gang valve will allow you to adjust the amount of air going to three different accessories. Other wise the pump runs full blast and the air's delivered mostly to whichever accessory that has the lowest amount of water pressure on it. So your treasure chest may be exploding with bubbles while the airstones just barely fizz...

Here's the gang valve I'd recommend: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3669+19780&pcatid=19780

OH!!! One last thing that's often overlooked and that's a CHECK VALVE. This little inline device allows air to go in one direction only. Sometimes when you have a power outtage the water pressure will fill the airline with water very quickly and cause it to start siphoning the water out! So either get a check valve or put the airpump higher than the level of the water. They're only a couple dollars so it's best to get one and save the headache.

Sark

Thanks, for some reason I thought you needed an airstone no matter what. That filter is doing a fine job agitating things up, so I may or may not go along with the stones/chest, but now I know what to do if I do. ^__^

metallspuerhunde
06-27-2009, 09:19 PM
So, my tank has been finished for a few days now! I was adding very tiny amounts of ammonia to keep the bacteria happy and testing often, and the results have been consistent. 0,0, and 10 after my water change. So today I went out and got three little albino corycats! I will wait a bit to let things settle before gradually upping the group to an even six.

I acclimated them for an hour 40, using the bag/gradual adding of aquarium water method, being careful not to get any store water in my tank. I just recently added them, annnnd...they are doing swimmingly! lol

After sitting a moment, they immedietly began scavenging around in my eco-complete, which is rather sandy in places, burrowing their heads in and what not, fu manchu mustaches wiggling around like crazy (very long and healthy looking, btw). I was curious, so I dropped half a shrimp pellet in...and within 10 minutes all three of them have been eating it! I actually think it is gone now lol! Even with my aquarium lights on and everything (had them dimmed during the acclimatisation period), they are acting incredibly natural and happy, sticking together and whatnot...I could not be more thrilled.

And my dwarf hair grass is propagating!! I didn't think it would, but sure enough it is sending out little hairs! And all the other plants are growing as well.thumbs2:

My only concern is that the heater indicator light will go on a few minutes and then off (hasnt gone on again), my temp reads 75...do heaters work by sensing water temp and only turning on when needed??

Anyway I am STOKED with these little guys! :1luvu: Here are some more exclamation marks !!!!!!!!

Sharkman
06-27-2009, 09:27 PM
congrats on the setup and the cories settling in so well. The heaters do work that way. They will turn on when the water temperature drops below what you have the heater set at and they will stay on until the water s heated to the temp you have it set for.

metallspuerhunde
06-27-2009, 09:45 PM
:fish: Thank you, I'm just having the first-time-tank-owner's paranoia, lol. Thank goddess for this forum. *loves on you all*

Wild Turkey
06-27-2009, 10:03 PM
If the tank is unplanted, nothing wrong with running a stone 24/7, its introduces oxygen( by both diffusion and surface adjetation ) and regulates the ph by keeping the co2 levels at pretty much nothing.

If you plant the tank, you only want to run the airstone at night (when both the fish and plants need O) and off during the day (when the plants need co2 and O for the fish is being produced by the plants.)

Setup looks good so farthumbs2:

Sharon
06-27-2009, 10:07 PM
Check valve...very important. If I hadn't installed one, 55gallons of water would have syphoned out of the tank on to the floor, while I was out of town last winter....:ssuprised:

metallspuerhunde
06-28-2009, 03:08 AM
D: I will be sure to remember that. Still debating on whether to get an airstone, I have to be careful with my spending for a little while...depends on how expensive those little pumps are. Can't be too much.

Two of the cats, including the largest, seem to really like each other...lots of rubbing against each other and hanging out. The third is the one who is deviating from the group most often though he will join with them on occasion. Once the rest of the school is in there he should feel more secure.

I'll post pics once I find my camera AGAIN omg. It is always going missing. Damn scurvy gnomes.

Sarkazmo
06-28-2009, 10:52 AM
I'll post pics once I find my camera AGAIN omg. It is always going missing. Damn scurvy gnomes.

Yer gnomes are pirates too???? If they're stealing cameras I guess they are. Keep on the look out for tiny pirate ships, wooden legs, and islands!

:P

Sark