PDA

View Full Version : My rat story

chel
06-01-2009, 05:26 PM
Well, the kids wanted to get guinea pigs awhile back and I've never bonded with guinea pigs before but my younger sister had a rat so I knew they are social, clean, and smart (I know, I know, most people think eww, disease carrying vermin ... but, I am not one of them). Anyway, a couple months ago we go and pick out two males and they are doing great with each other for awhile. But, then, one started really bullying the other and they started getting into fights. We tried separating them but even if the kids would get them out at the same time they would start back up again. Finally, Oreo "the bully" as I started to call him really did some damage to Eddie, giving him a big gash on the back. When my daughter tried to get him off, Oreo acted aggressively to her. The kids and I talked about it and after a few tears they decide that it would be best to take both of the boys back and get two girls since they tend not to have the same aggression issues. So, I take them both back. Of course, while I am there the only other people looking at the mice and rats were snake owners. I felt terrible. Luckily the kids weren't with me.

So, I get home with the two new girls feeling a little blue myself because I realized I'd gotten a bit attached to Eddie. I'd gotten into the habit of taking him out at night and he'd cuddle up next to me while I was on the computer or watching t.v. Anyway, I told myself I was crazy and sure, I like my pets, but even I wasn't such a mush that I would get attached to a rat in just a few weeks, right? And I was sure I would love the girls just as much. A rat is a rat is a rat, right? I mean, most people hate the little buggers.

So, I got one of the girl rats out to hang out with me after I'd put the kids to bed. And she peed all over me. I mean, the flood gates opened. I know she did it out of nervousness but for such a little girl it was amazing the amount of urine she could hold. So, I went and got cleaned up and changed, then tried getting the other girl out and the exact same thing happened. A total mess. I mean, c'mon!!! I went and got cleaned up and changed AGAIN and by this point decided just to go to bed!

If you can believe it I actually woke up in the middle of the night thinking ... poor Eddie, first he gets bullied and harassed at our house all the time and the poor thing will probably end his life as snake food. When I woke up the next morning I kept trying to shake the feeling that I'd made a terrible mistake ... then thinking we can't have 3 rats, and now 2 cages or else we'd have hundreds of rats ... so, I go online and find our vet on the list of recommended rat vets who can neuter rats (really, they will do it) so by the time my husband gets home that morning (he's a firefighter, so works nights sometimes) I've decided to go rescue Eddie. My husband couldn't care less about the rats and, though he looked at me like I had gone off the deep end and might require medication, he went along with it.

So, me and my daughter went racing back to the store hoping that he hadn't already been bought as snake meat and lo and behold they still had him in the back. They brought him out in a little towel and I put out my hand for him to sniff me and, usually a very cautious guy, he took one sniff and ran up my arm and hid underneath my hair. It was actually really, really, funny. He refused to come out and I had to walk to the car with him just hiding there. So, now I have my own rat and my hubby has a "can you believe what my wife did" story to tell his buddies.

That brings our household count to: 10 fish (more coming soon), 3 rats, 2 dogs, and 1 cat.

http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=875480007/PictureID=30177848007/a=60329668_60329668

Rue
06-01-2009, 05:29 PM
I'm glad you got him back. I've also had rats. Very endearing. Sadly, I developed allergies.

Gayle
06-01-2009, 06:41 PM
That is such a sweet story!!! They do castrate male rats. It usually will help with agression, it can also prevent cancerous tumors in that "area". I do not think that you would have to get Eddie castrated unless you wish to keep him with the females. The females can fight as well, so just a heads up. Esp if thier cage is small, they are prego or have babies. I am really glad you got him back!!! How is that gash on his back doing??

chel
06-01-2009, 07:46 PM
Hi -- yes, he's my little buddy. I tried to post a pic of him but I don't quite have the hang of that yet. What my hubby really can't get over is that I take him and our lab for walks (our other dog is too old to go with us). Eddie will either hang out in a fanny pack I wear for him or on my shoulder ... I can only imagine what the neighbors say! :hmm3grin2orange:

His gash is healing up really nicely and it never got infected, so that is good. Yes, I'd like to keep him with the girls which is why I'm planning on getting him neutered. I've read that it helps reduce any potential aggression with females, too.

I've thought about just keeping them in separate cages but I know they will all be happier together in one big cage than in two smaller cages ... and it will be less hassle to keep one cage clean than two. So, hopefully the surgery will go okay. I'm going to wait until his back is completely healed up and then take him in.

Chel

Gayle
06-01-2009, 08:39 PM
LOL Yeah some of my neighbors think that I am insane when I take the girls and the rats out to play!! You should see some of the looks! One lady who was walking by one day was even bold enough to say "I cant imagine ever letting a rat crawl all over my child". Of course I tried to explain how rats are excellent pets, that they are very smart, very friendly, rarely bite, and very clean. But w/e! Yeah it is probably a good idea to wait until the gash is healed. They would not do surgery until it had healed anyhow. I am sure he will do just fine with the surgery!!! Keep us updated!!!

Red
06-01-2009, 09:01 PM
glad you got him back :)

Wild Turkey
06-01-2009, 10:00 PM
Very cute story, congrats on the new additionsthumbs2:

Usually the male rats are the more docile of the two sexes though, not sure where you heard the opposite.

My girls all "hold it" for as long as they can when i have them out of the cage, since they realize after 1 or 2 times that they get put back after they go. So just give it some time. Rats are actually quite litter box trainable as well

chel
06-02-2009, 03:00 PM
http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=875480007/PictureID=30177848007/a=60329668_60329668

Northernguy
06-02-2009, 03:04 PM
Chel try making your pics smaller in Paint and then upload from your computer.
Great story! Its great to hear you got him back.

chel
06-02-2009, 03:28 PM

Okay, I think I am getting the hang of it ...

Rue
06-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Cute!:1luvu:

Wild Turkey
06-02-2009, 06:26 PM
Agreed, very cute! Is that the guy?

chel
06-02-2009, 06:52 PM
Yep, that's Eddie. That picture was taken when we first got him about two months ago, so he has filled out quite a bit since then.

Oh, and WT, I think you were asking me where I'd read about male aggression ... here's a link to a source that has seemed pretty good http://www.rmca.org/Articles/aggression.htm

I think part of the problem we had is that both of the boys were older -- Oreo especially -- and when Eddie started to turn into an "adolescent" it triggered them. While Eddie wouldn't instigate it, he also didn't back down so they started to fight pretty intensely.

I've done a couple of short introductions -- supervised introductions because I don't want babies running around here -- between Eddie and the two girls, Michelle and Pearl, and that has gone really well so far. The girls are younger and so far get along great.

Wild Turkey
06-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Rats fighting amounst themselves is very, very very common. They need to establish a hierarchy just like dogs or other animals do, thats where your aggression is coming from.

The article you referred me to is 12 years old, which is really old in pet care terms, not discounting or confirming it, but you should just watch for that kind of stuff.

In all my experiences, males are more docile; with people, as well as other animals. When people tell me they want one thats gonna "chill out" more i suggest males if they can get over the nuts:hmm3grin2orange: For that reason what you described of the male/females behavior is pretty typical, the females are a little jumpier, less exploratory , more cautious and less cuddley imo.

Gayle
06-02-2009, 09:37 PM
Awe now he is a cutie pie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sharon
06-02-2009, 11:50 PM
He is indeed a cutie, and I'm SO glad you went back for him!!! It restores my faith in human kindness!!!