PDA

View Full Version : Dechlorinating Question

Swayde
03-08-2007, 02:37 AM
When I go to add/change water do I have to put a full amount of "Tetra Aqua Aquasafe" into the fresh tap water or do I have to adjust the amount of product according to the amount of water I am adding in?

For example. It says to use 5ml for every 10 gallons. So if I add 2 gallons of water to a 29 gallon tank would use I 15ml or 1ml?

Another question...The kit came with 2 little one ounce bottles. One is called "Stress Coat" and the other is called "Stress Zyme". It never mentions in the set-up instructions when/if to use these products.

My best guess says that the "Stress Coat" is only for if there are fish and they are injured....It sounds like the "Stress Zyme" might be good to put in quickly to help produce the good bacteria.

Anyone know anything about them?

xoolooxunny
03-08-2007, 02:44 AM
the stress coat is good for dechlorination, or so the bottle says. just treat the water that's going in, before it goes in. i used stress zyme once and it helped speed up the cycling process a LITTLE bit, like 2 or 3 days quicker. there are different brands of water dechlorinators, so i use the stuff thats made just for that. i use top fin water conditioner when i use water changes....if i change out 15 gallons, then thats how much water i treat.

Drumachine09
03-08-2007, 02:47 AM
Treat to how much water you are putting in. You SHOULD dechlorinate it BEFORE you put in in your tank.

cocoa_pleco
03-08-2007, 03:09 AM
i dechlorinate be4 putting in the tank, and always add extra cause that stress coat stuff

reybie
03-08-2007, 05:53 AM
What do the people using the Python dohicky for dechlorinating? Add as you are putting the water in?

Lady Hobbs
03-08-2007, 05:57 AM
Most just treat the amount of water they are putting back in. I do rather large water changes so add enough for the whole tank. I know I have enough that way and you can not over dechlorinate. In other words, whether you use 4 drops or 6 drops, you won't kill your fish.

small fry
03-08-2007, 12:11 PM
You can always just leave your water for a few days and let the chlorine evaporate by itself instead of using the water dechlorinater (http://www.e-aquarium.com.au/buy-aquarium-water-nuetralisers.htm). Leaving a few buckets in the sunlight will speed it up even faster. If you want to add some "electrolytes" thats just some non iodised salt. This will help your fish replace their slime coat if it is damaged.

jeffs99dime
03-08-2007, 02:37 PM
before i had the reverse osmosis unit, i would dose dechlorinator for the entire volume of the tank while filling the tank with the python. you do not need to use extra dechlorinator, that's just wasting it.

Lady Hobbs
03-08-2007, 03:33 PM
You can always just leave your water for a few days and let the chlorine evaporate by itself instead of using the water dechlorinater (http://www.e-aquarium.com.au/buy-aquarium-water-nuetralisers.htm). Leaving a few buckets in the sunlight will speed it up even faster. If you want to add some "electrolytes" thats just some non iodised salt. This will help your fish replace their slime coat if it is damaged.

This works if you want buckets of water around everywhere but it does not remove metals in your water. Even well water should have at least a Chloramine remover and many of the de-chlorinators have that added.

Salt is beneficial to many fish such as live bearers but in other fish, salt can actually break down their slime coat. I would much prefer using a dechlorinator that claims to help with stress coat such as Start Right, Stress Coat or some of the others. Our bottom feeding scale-less fish don't like the salt at all and are intolerable to it.

Chrona
03-08-2007, 06:59 PM
Dechlorinator usually remains active for a while after adding it to water, so it's not neccesary to premix (in fact, it's impossible to premix if you use a Python)

reybie
03-08-2007, 07:04 PM
Python user here too. That would be kind of interesting if you can inject it in there like an IV medication haha.

Chrona
03-08-2007, 07:12 PM
It wouldn't be too difficult, just a barb fitting with a hole drilled into the vacuum tube and some silicone sealant. The real trouble is getting the mixing rates right.

jeffs99dime
03-08-2007, 08:34 PM
It wouldn't be too difficult, just a barb fitting with a hole drilled into the vacuum tube and some silicone sealant. The real trouble is getting the mixing rates right.

yeah. you'd still have to dose the whole tank volume going that route too