PDA

View Full Version : nitrate

eddyred
03-09-2006, 09:25 PM
I have 4 small oscars in a 55 gallon tank and have alot of trouble maintaining nitrate level this is an established aquarium and the other water levels seem to be ok any suggestions

William
03-09-2006, 11:16 PM
How much to you feed them?

Oscars produce a lot of waste material and therefore require more frequent ater changes than other fish. A good filter and airation also helps.

eddyred
03-10-2006, 12:15 AM
I feed once a day alternating between pellets and live feeders I filter with a penguin bio wheel filter system that circulates 400 gallons an hour I have a bubble wand for areation and water change every 4 weeks no undergravel filter and I was told at the pet store not to disturb the gravel during water changes and was also told at a different pet store that I should vacum the gravel thouruly every two weeks whose right

William
03-10-2006, 03:42 AM
The second pet stoe is right. You should vacum it to remove some of the dirt in the gravel. You should however not disturb the gravel to much while doing this. Stick the siphon about an inch down in to the gravel. That will most likely improve the water quality.

You will also have to change water much more frequently when keeping oscar. I recommend changing 20% once a week and you might find that even more freuent ater changes might be reuired to keep the nitrite levels down.