PDA

View Full Version : Stinking

Muhammad Zuhail
05-31-2009, 05:30 PM
Somedays back i fed ma crayfish with sum tiny meat pieces..There were sum left overs..And after a few days the pieces were covered with the worlds most stinkiest fungus...omg...stinks...yuck...sum kind of webs were around it and it stinks to the max...

What should i do..The crayfish is not eating much..

chester82006
05-31-2009, 05:41 PM
As soon as you see that your crayfish hasn't eaten everything, take the remaining food out immediately. That prevents ammonia, and the smell. Leaving uneaten food in there ruins your tank conditions. Also, I'm not sure why your fish isn't eating as much. I believe they like cool water, and worms.

Wild Turkey
05-31-2009, 06:21 PM
Remove any and all excess food in the future.

For now, vacuum your gravel out well. Running charcoal can reduce smells (as long as its still active)

Northernguy
05-31-2009, 08:21 PM
You could also find something like a sinking pellet to feed it.
Clean your tank for now.Feed smaller peices.Feed at lights out and remove in the morning.
They will eat better that way.They prefer to hunt and feed at night.

Muhammad Zuhail
06-01-2009, 03:08 AM
maybe ill try those out..I.A

jaysee
06-01-2009, 10:59 PM
A sinking shrimp pellet and occasional algae wafers are definitely the way to go feeding crayfish. If your crayfish is not used to you yet, feed at night like they said. However, it'll soon know who you are and won't be afraid of you, at which point you can feed it whenever you want. At first I would recomend NOT watching to see if it takes the pellet - it'll come out and eat (no matter the time) when it feels safe and it may not do so with you watching.

I also highly recomend stocking ghost shrimp. Eventually the crayfish will eat them all which is what you want, because they get important minerals and stuff from the shells of the shrimp that aid in their molts. It takes mine about 6 weeks to go through 15 or so