PDA

View Full Version : My Betta has Dropsy

nzgirl
05-31-2009, 09:22 AM
I'm pretty sure my C/T Betta has dropsy, he's got the pineconing effect and very swollen abdomen. He's having trouble swimming, he gets to the top of the tank, takes some air then sinks again. He was fine a week ago in fact we had him in my breeding tank & he fathered some fry - (which are now even more precious!) I moved him once the fry were free swimming and put him back in the community tank he used to be in. (Only problem was the angels in their didn't accept him back and last 2 days he's been hiding down bottom of that tank. Yesterday I noticed he was quite fat, & thought he'd been eating the pleco food . Today I saw them attacking him & moved him straight away into our 55litre guppy tank, but then noticed the pinecone scales. Could the angels have stressed him and caused this or would he have got it anyway? I don't think he'll last the night :(

Mvjnz
05-31-2009, 12:01 PM
If you think he won't make it and he's obviously suffering, it would be better to euthanise him. It's not pleasant to have to do, but at least you don't have to lie in bed tonight thinking about that poor fish suffering and dying a slow death:(

Little Embers
05-31-2009, 12:10 PM
Most definitely could be from the Angels! It is usually brought on by one or a combination of stress factors such as water quality, tankmates, diet, environment etc. and the bacteria can take hold when the fish is in a stressed/weak state.

It may be best to euthanise him so as not to prolong any suffering as it usually is fatal when it gets to that stage.

Sharon
05-31-2009, 01:05 PM
Agreed! Once the fish is pine coned, it is usually the end...so sorry!

Gayle
05-31-2009, 01:13 PM
I agree with the above posts, at this point it would be more humane to euth him, no point in prolonging his suffering. I am very sorry this happened.

nzgirl
06-01-2009, 04:02 AM
I feel so guilty now knowing stress could have bought this on. He passed away before I went to bed and I buried him in a little spot in the garden.

Northernguy
06-01-2009, 04:56 AM
Thats terrible news!Sorry to hear it!

Little Embers
06-01-2009, 07:45 AM
I'm very sorry nzgirl! That is a real shame but don't beat yourself up about it too much....lovely idea to bury him in the garden.