PDA

View Full Version : Post jumpers?

hungryhound
03-07-2007, 07:25 PM
I know that I am new here, but I have been wondering about something for a little while. Does this board have the ability to have post jumpers (i.e. when you open up a thread it doesn't take you to the first post in the thread, but the first new post in the thread since you last opened it. )

Granted the traffic isn't insanely high, but it might make browsing or moderating easier if you were autimatically transported to the new posts when you opened a thread.

Just something to think about.

xoolooxunny
03-07-2007, 07:33 PM
Quick Links --->Edit Options--->Thread Display Options--->Thread Display Mode...Then use the drop down menu to choose "Linear-Newest First"

There are 2 other ways to look at them too, read about them and try them out!

hungryhound
03-07-2007, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the imput, but that is not exactly what I had in mind.

I like to keep the post in chronological order from top to bottom. This just changes the thread so that it reads bottom up.

What I am talking about is that when the page loads it automatically scrolls you down to the first new post from your last view of the thread.

For example. In the Oldest first mode option. When you click on this it would have the threads lined up oldest first. But would automatically take you to this post. It still allows the discussion to be in normal top down format, but it also allows you to quickly navigate to the newest information in a thread.

I doubt that it is possable to impliment this feature with the software running this forum but one can hope. The other board I frequent is UBB code, and while not as pretty as this board it does have this feature, which makes reading the board that much easier.

xoolooxunny
03-07-2007, 08:11 PM
oooohhhh, ok i get it now....that would be nice. I guess i should read more carefully, thats the second time i answered a question wrong on this forum...sorry guys :11:

Lady Hobbs
03-07-2007, 08:13 PM
I have always wished the forum had the option to "reply" under each post so messages would go directly to that particular person. Then when you want to see if they have responded, just click "posts to me" and all your posts appear so you aren't having to read everything to see if someone wrote you. Sometimes I'm in a hurry and I often miss posts directed at me.

I had my options set mine for "posts from the last two days" before but that messes me up when I do the contests but might work for you.

hungryhound
03-07-2007, 08:30 PM
oooohhhh, ok i get it now....that would be nice. I guess i should read more carefully, thats the second time i answered a question wrong on this forum...sorry guys :11:

There is nothing to be sorry about. I am sure that I did not explain it very well the first time.

And I had forgot about those options and it got me to look at them, so some good came from it.

hungryhound
03-07-2007, 08:40 PM
I have always wished the forum had the option to "reply" under each post so messages would go directly to that particular person. Then when you want to see if they have responded, just click "posts to me" and all your posts appear so you aren't having to read everything to see if someone wrote you. Sometimes I'm in a hurry and I often miss posts directed at me.

I had my options set mine for "posts from the last two days" before but that messes me up when I do the contests but might work for you.

Yeah that would be nice. On a simpliar level it would be nice for the simple reason that it would make it much easier to tell who replied to whom.

The other board that I frequent is dawgtalkers.net But I have to warn you that the orange and black can hurt your eyes if you aren't used to it. (yes I am a lowely cleveland Browns fan). It has the post jumpers, but i don't thin that you will see them until you registerfor the site which is pointless if that is your only purpose, but it also displays who replied to who in each thread. Which is nice and makes it easier to sort out some of the conversations.

I will admit that those are the two features that I love in a message board and make it incrediably user friendly.

Lady Hobbs
03-07-2007, 08:45 PM
About.Com works it the same way. Log in, click on "posts to me" and there they are. But we take what we can get and we have the contests and the nice people so ..........a bit of scrolling becomes necessary.

hungryhound
03-07-2007, 08:49 PM
Yeah I like this forum.

You guys were very welcoming to a newbie like me and I Hope to make this a place I stay for a long time.

It is now number two on my favorites list in only 3 weeks. :p

AquaQueen
03-07-2007, 10:33 PM
So your admitting to be addicted?....LOL

Abbeys_Mom
03-07-2007, 10:47 PM
There is a "view first unread" at the top of the threads, but it doesn't work for me.

hungryhound
03-07-2007, 11:07 PM
the view first unread does not work for me, but it looks like it is a manual version of what i was proposing.

It justs opens the thread tools menu when I click on it. Oh well.

jeffs99dime
03-08-2007, 01:42 AM
Yeah I like this forum.

You guys were very welcoming to a newbie like me and I Hope to make this a place I stay for a long time.

yeah. it doesn't work. i spoke with william several times about it already

William
03-30-2007, 01:38 PM
Yes. I have been looking into it. I thought it was an easy fix but I was wrong. I am having someone who is better than me at this looking at it. Hopefully it will be resolved.