PDA

View Full Version : Help with stocking.

d3v0ncullen
05-31-2009, 12:15 AM
I have a 55gal and want cichlids. i want the ones with the bright colors i think there African cichlids. How many can i put in my tank and what are the main necessities they need?

Thanks. ;D

domjd05
05-31-2009, 02:23 AM
I think a few simple google searchs may turn up some of the info you are looking for... thats actually a pretty broad subject... maybe narrow it down a bit for us.. beyond cichlids and bright colors...

I'd love to help but I can think of colorful cichlids that can go in a 55g from just about every region cichlids are to be found :P

rangur1
08-02-2009, 09:39 PM
labidochromis cearulus
pseudotrophus acei
metriclima estherae
stock youngsters - about 1-2 inches in length , about 16 total for 55 gal tank
and you need LOTS and LOTS of rocks,or resin caves , pvc pipes, flower pots.

Wild Turkey
08-02-2009, 10:22 PM
They will need a high ph, which you can get by selecting a substrate designed for african cichlids, or just crushed coral, limestone etc.

Stocking opinions are going to vary largely. A lot of people do "controlled overstocking" so that the fish almost dont have a choice but to get along. It involves more water changes to keep nitrates down

Personally I would start with low stock, and see how it goes. Expect to have to solve some aggression issues, especially if you do the bare minimum as far as research on species.

mynamzmudd
08-07-2009, 01:16 PM
I like the electric yellow's and the red jewel's. They are both colorfull fish to me. You will need lot's of rock structure to force down the aggression factor in the tank. (I still need to put more in mine due to issues im having in my tank) African's are beautifull fish. If you want really colorfull fish you should check out the "lake victoria" cichlid's. JMO.