PDA

View Full Version : Still Splendens?

Paleofish
05-30-2009, 05:10 PM
You know with all the crossbreeding splendens with imbellis, smaragdina, mahachai the thai breeders did and with the crosses to make dragon and copper. Do we really have B.splendens anymore? It seems to me that the "betta splendens" that are so common are just hybrids of different betta species.

What are your guys thoughts on this?

Red
05-30-2009, 05:17 PM
Wild splendens are pretty hard to find and cost a good penny..

Paleofish
05-30-2009, 05:24 PM
I have never even seen a person selling them. But i guess that's the only way to get pure splendens anymore.

Mvjnz
05-31-2009, 12:27 AM
I've been thinking the same thing, made it should be given a new name, Betta sp. something, seeing as it can't really be called a proper species anymore.

I've been talking to a person from Malaysia who might be able to get me pure wild strain, but she says it's a several hour walk through the jungle to get to where they are and it's been a few years since she was there.

Would be good to start a breeding programme for them.

Paleofish
05-31-2009, 12:33 AM
I've been thinking the same thing, made it should be given a new name, Betta sp. something, seeing as it can't really be called a proper species anymore.

I've been talking to a person from Malaysia who might be able to get me pure wild strain, but she says it's a several hour walk through the jungle to get to where they are and it's been a few years since she was there.

Would be good to start a breeding programme for them.

I think Betta sp. "Domestica" sounds pretty good lol:hmm3grin2orange: But really the betta splendens we have are pretty much hybrids and Like you said they can't really be called B. splendens anymore.

BTW If you can get those wild splendens i might be interested in buying some.

DrNic
05-31-2009, 01:35 AM
This is a question that has haunted some groups for a while. The breeders were so intent on making a hybrid fish that had a specific look that no one thought about what it meant for the species.

Technically if good notes were taking during the breeding process and you could make a percentage of how much of each strain the fish are. Unfortunatly I'm sure that these notes don't exist and different fish would have different percentages anyway.

I think it was suggested as a joke but I REALLY like the idea of Betta domestica, I honestly think that's what I'm going to use from now on.

If anyone out there has access to true wild caught bettas though it wouldn't be a bad idea to maybe start making a true betta splendens line.

Paleofish
05-31-2009, 01:49 AM
I think it was suggested as a joke but I REALLY like the idea of Betta domestica, I honestly think that's what I'm going to use from now on.

Well i was half joking and half serious, But i think that's what i will start calling it too.

But it's pretty sad on how they just crossed the betta species without giving thought to the species they were crossing.

It's a little hard to find pure imbellis and smaragdina because they were crossed with splendens to make a better fighting betta, So it cuts both ways.