PDA

View Full Version : Betta fish care draft

angc84
05-30-2009, 03:29 AM
My professor asked me for some advice for Betta fish, since he wants to get one for his young kids. I decided to write him a few pointers and it ended up getting too long. I thought I'd post it here for whoever needs it. Ignore the area-specific details. Also, please let me know if I should change/add anything!

Thanks for your input in advance.

Intro to Betta Fish Care

Before you set up the tank, you should know…
Nitrogen Cycle: For a fish to live comfortably in a tank, the tank needs to be “cycled.” It’s basically a process of converting ammonia to nitrite and, finally, to nitrate. Ammonia and nitrite are both highly toxic to fish and are converted by beneficial bacteria. Nitrate is relatively less harmful and is removed from the water by a weekly 25% water change. Once the cycle is “established” (the establishing of beneficial bacteria colony, mainly in your substrate and filter media), there should be no detectable amount of ammonia and nitrite in your water at any given time, since they should be converted by beneficial bacteria right away. Since you are likely to have only one fish in your tank, the colony should stabilize in 1-2 weeks. In the first 2 weeks, 2 weekly 25% water change should be done to remove possible excessive ammonia and nitrite that are not converted. A lot of fish supply companies make “bacteria-boosting” products and claim that those products help the cycling process. The extent of those product is questionable and the claim too good to be true. However, if you’d like to use it to make the process possibly more “tolerable” for the fish, I have some for you. Just ask! PS: More obsessive people like myself would buy an ammonia/nitrite/nitrate test kit, and do a water change when an unsafe level of each components is reached. However, it’s really unnecessary for you to get a test kit, unless you’d like to use it as a mini science project for your kids. Betta fish is hardy!

Filtration: Beneficial bacteria nitrify ammonia and nitrite. They need sufficient dissolved oxygen in water to survive. Therefore, even though Betta fish does not require dissolved oxygen in water, filtration system is still important for your Betta fish to thrive. A good filtration system has three stages:1. Biological: this is the filter media sponge that houses bacteria colony.2. Mechanical: this catches debris and fish waste.3. Chemical: this contains “activated carbon”, which removes odor and discoloration.

Ammonia spike: Overfeeding and leaving fish food unconsumed may lead to a spike in ammonia level. White cloudy water can sometimes be accompanied which indicates a situation called “bacteria bloom.” It’s likely resulting from excessive nutrient in the water and the bacteria are feasting! DO NOT OVERFEED. DO NOT OVERFEED. The Hakari fish pellets that I feed to our lab fish are ideal, because 1) they do not sink, 2) it is easy to control the amount of food fed, and 3) you don’t need to directly touch the food to dispense. Betta fish like to make really cute movements and beg for food. It’s definitely hard to resist the temptation to feed!

They are just like us! When they are stressed, their immune system decreases and they are more susceptible to diseases, such as parasite and bacteria infection. Temperature fluctuation, bad water quality and glass-tapping will stress them out! Also, DO NOT PLACE YOUR TANK IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT. It can kill the fish in hours.

Suggested to-buy list:

1. The Mini-Bow 2.5 Little Lagoon Starter Kits, $38.24
a) It’s pricier than other similar looking one because it comes with a Tetra Whisper Internal Filter. It’s actually an excellent Betta fish filter, since it dose not create too much water current. The filter has one obvious down side…it takes up space inside the tank. However, fish likes to swim around the back of the filter, so it is compensated. There is also another downside, but it’s so negligible. Ask me if you really want to know!
b) The tank has a 2.5 gallon capacity, which in my opinion, is the minimum space requirement for a Betta fish to live happily.
c) In the kit, you also get a trial size package of Tetra AquaSafe water conditioner (15ml). It’s a reputable product and should last you for a while, since you will only be using 1ml for every 2 gallon of water. I store the package in a blue conical tube from lab for easy retrieval. It’s very important to treat your water before adding it to your fish tank, since our tap water contains additives such as chlorine and chloramines, which are very toxic to fish.
d) Light hood. Believe it or not, but Betta fish can jump very high and far! (Don’t ask me how I know this. I learned it the hardest way possible). Very important! Betta fish needs about 6-8 hours of light a day. Prolonged exposure to light can also stress them out. However, sufficient light is important for them to maintain health and also important for beneficial bacteria.

2. Heater: Marineland Stealth 25 Visi-Therm Submersible Aquarium Heater 25 Watts, $22.99: Great heater!! You can easily set the temperature and the temperature will never fluctuate! I wasn’t going to get one for our lab fish because temperature in our lab office seems to be fairly constant, but I couldn’t resist making him happier. I have four of those heaters now, one for each of my tanks, and I could not be happier with them. It’s a great investment! The optimal temperature for Betta fish would be 78˚F. After all, they are tropical!

3. Thermometer: ATI Aquarium Thermometer 4" Length – Horizontal, $2.99: This sticker thermometer is truly unbreakable and easy to read! Most other ones I’ve used broke very easily when I try to remove to relocate.

4. Fish net, 3”, $1.49

5. Substrate, ~$5: A 5lb bag of substrate is more than enough for your tank. Do not use large pieces of rock and marble, because I’ve heard of stories about Betta fish’s fin getting stuck and ripped trying to swim away. It can cause serious infection!

6. Decoration, ~$15: It’s better to use silk plant decorations over plastic ones, since silk plant is less likely to harm your fish’s beautiful fin. Also make sure that you have at least one plant that’s tall enough to reach water surface. Your fish can rest/sleep on those without exerting too much effort to swim to top to breath. Do not pick any wood or rock or ornaments that feel rough on your skin.

Set-up
1. Rinse the gravel (substrate), décor, tank, and heater in warm water. Also rinse the filter media in warm water before inserting to the filter.
2. Follow the instruction that came with the starter kit to set up the tank. Water level should be slightly lower than the opening of the filter.
3. IMPORTANT: Keep the heater in the water unplugged for at least 30 minutes before plugging in, in order to let it adjust itself.
4. Let the tank run for half a day before adding your fish. Check if the temperature rises to the desired level and stays there.

Pick your fish
1. There are various types of Betta fish. Look them up the internet for pictures if you like!a) Veiltail Betta: the most common type of Betta fish. Every fish store carries them.b) Crowntail Betta. La Cumbre Petco has a fairly large selection of them.c) Halfmoon Betta. Milpas Petco has a fairly large selection of them.d) King Betta. Milpas Petco has a fairly large selection of them.e) Assorted female Betta. They do not have long fins like their male counterparts. However, still full of personality!
2. Get the fish to flare. Look at the fins and make sure that there is no obvious holes/ragged ends. Veiltail Betta’s fin should be smooth, consistent edge when flaring. Darken/whiten ends are possible indicatives of fin rot.
3. If the water the fish is in is colored, it most likely means that the fish is being treated for something. Try to avoid them.
4. Swollen tummy and bulging eyes are not good!
5. The size of the fish generally indicates the age of the fish. I would not go for an older one.
6. After you buy the fish, ask the people there to pack your fish in double bag instead of taking it home in a plastic container. It’s easier for adding the fish to the tank later.

Put your fish in your tank
1. It’s best done at night. Keep the light off to reduce stress.
2. Discard the outer bag. Let the inner bag (containing the fish, of course) float on top of the water for at least 10 minutes.
3. Add a little water from the tank to the bag, and wait for another 10 minutes.
4. Add a little more water from the tank to the bag, and wait for another 10 minutes. (it’s kind of like staining tissue!)
5. Gently net the fish out of the bag and release it into the tank. (I wouldn’t pour the water in the bag into your new tank. It’s to prevent contamination.)

PS:
1. It’s natural if your Betta fish to refuse to eat for a day or so. Net out the food if it’s not consumed within a couple of minutes.
2. It’s also natural if your Betta flares to his reflection. If he is flaring excessively, you should try adding a light color background to your tank.
3. All of the equipments I’ve mentioned above plus the cost of fish should not cost you over $100.

robnepper
05-30-2009, 03:37 AM
Nice work!

Taurus
05-30-2009, 07:29 PM
Yes. Great work. Give yourself an A+. :clap:

Fraoch
05-30-2009, 07:43 PM
Very nice!

A few questions and comments. Keep in mind I don't even have a betta yet, so my comments may be more applicable to other fish...

- you may want to emphasize that the beneficial bacteria are more in the filter than the substrate. However, given the low flow filters for bettas, I'm not sure if this is true!

- is the term "de-nitrify" correct? Isn't it more like oxidize? NH3 -> NO2- -> NO3-

- do bettas need the aquarium light on? I asked here, for other fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=43307 - the answer was no. The reason I ask is that some aquarium lights can really heat up the water.

Great post, I hope it gets stickied! I'll keep it handy when I finally get a betta!

Northernguy
05-30-2009, 08:44 PM
Well done!thumbs2:

angc84
05-30-2009, 08:45 PM
Oh I am so sad. I just typed out a long long long response and I accidentally closed my browser...

Northernguy
05-30-2009, 08:55 PM
If there was something you wanted to add,contact William and he may let you edit it.

angc84
05-30-2009, 09:01 PM
Very nice!

A few questions and comments. Keep in mind I don't even have a betta yet, so my comments may be more applicable to other fish...

- you may want to emphasize that the beneficial bacteria are more in the filter than the substrate. However, given the low flow filters for bettas, I'm not sure if this is true!

- is the term "de-nitrify" correct? Isn't it more like oxidize? NH3 -> NO2- -> NO3-

- do bettas need the aquarium light on? I asked here, for other fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=43307 - the answer was no. The reason I ask is that some aquarium lights can really heat up the water.

Great post, I hope it gets stickied! I'll keep it handy when I finally get a betta!

Thanks guys!

I did not emphasize much on the nitrogen cycle in general, because I did not want it to be overwhelming! Also, it is tricky with the Whisper Internal Filter, because it comes in only one 3-in-1 filter media bag. Which means every time the filter media is replaced, the bacteria colony is removed from the filter. I believe that with the bacteria present in the gravel and betta fish's generally small bio-load, maintaining water condition is more forgiving. However, I do keep an closer eye on my water parameter after changing the media, and I definitely do not want to do too many things that disturb the bacteria colony at once! I hate to abuse Betta fish's "hardy" nature...

You are right. It is supposed to be "nitrify". It's a typo that I overlooked multiple times when I proof-read myself. Thanks for pointing it out! Oxidation is also correct. Here is a Wikipedia definition of nitrification. Nitrification is the biological oxidation of ammonia with oxygen into nitrite followed by the oxidation of these nitrites into nitrates.

It's only natural to me that Betta fish should have lighting in their tanks. It's important to develop a Circadian rhythm for any animal, and providing your fish would a fix amount of light everyday can help just that. I think lighting makes the aquarium closer to the fish's natural habitat. Also, I remember that beneficial bacteria likes the lighting as well? I never really have to worry about temperature, since, as I've mentioned, the Marineland heater does a good job at keeping the temperature constant. I've never seen my temperature fluctuate, light on or not. Do you live in a very hot area?

angc84
05-30-2009, 09:06 PM
Heh. Is there something I should add? NG is the wise man!

Northernguy
05-30-2009, 10:38 PM
More of a wise a....:woo: .but I like the way its done.Your the author.I think its great.

Sharon
05-30-2009, 10:45 PM
Great work!!!thumbs2:

Oscar_freak12321
05-30-2009, 10:50 PM
It's very well written! A+

angc84
05-31-2009, 12:40 AM
Thank you guys! I was a little nervous when I posted it!

Wiggs
05-31-2009, 12:42 AM
Great work, I'm sure he will appreciate the effort you put in to help him.

angc84
05-31-2009, 12:46 AM
thank you!
by the way, have any of you have issues with danios nipping on your betta in a community tank, even when they are schooling?

Wiggs
05-31-2009, 12:57 AM
thank you!
by the way, have any of you have issues with danios nipping on your betta in a community tank, even when they are schooling?

Ive had my betta in with 6 Zebra Danios for awhile ow, and have never had a problem with even a single nip. Now, that could be the presence of other species in the tank, but just my Experience.

Fraoch
06-01-2009, 12:45 PM
I did not emphasize much on the nitrogen cycle in general, because I did not want it to be overwhelming! Also, it is tricky with the Whisper Internal Filter, because it comes in only one 3-in-1 filter media bag. Which means every time the filter media is replaced, the bacteria colony is removed from the filter. I believe that with the bacteria present in the gravel and betta fish's generally small bio-load, maintaining water condition is more forgiving. However, I do keep an closer eye on my water parameter after changing the media, and I definitely do not want to do too many things that disturb the bacteria colony at once! I hate to abuse Betta fish's "hardy" nature...

It probably isn't as critical then - if you can replace the filter without causing a drastic enough cycle to affect the betta's health, then it doesn't matter.

You are right. It is supposed to be "nitrify". It's a typo that I overlooked multiple times when I proof-read myself. Thanks for pointing it out! Oxidation is also correct. Here is a Wikipedia definition of nitrification. Nitrification is the biological oxidation of ammonia with oxygen into nitrite followed by the oxidation of these nitrites into nitrates.

Makes sense!

It's only natural to me that Betta fish should have lighting in their tanks. It's important to develop a Circadian rhythm for any animal, and providing your fish would a fix amount of light everyday can help just that. I think lighting makes the aquarium closer to the fish's natural habitat. Also, I remember that beneficial bacteria likes the lighting as well? I never really have to worry about temperature, since, as I've mentioned, the Marineland heater does a good job at keeping the temperature constant. I've never seen my temperature fluctuate, light on or not. Do you live in a very hot area?

Not a very hot area, it's just that the incandescent lighting in my larger tank used to really heat it up. I switched to compact flourescents and it's better. However the tank stays warm enough that the heater never goes on. But if you keep your betta tank temperature at 78, it will be running a bit. My tank temp is currently 76, the lighting heats it up to 78 by the end of the day. My betta tank will be half the size, but the lighting valence will likely only hold one light.

Thanks again for the write-up!

thrakuarium
06-01-2009, 01:44 PM
Very nicely done over all thumbs2: I would point out one small detail. Sticker thermometers are generally considered inaccurate when used on anything other than a glass tank. I might suggest either a digital probe style thermometer or an in tank floating or stationary type. Again though very nice write up.

angc84
06-01-2009, 07:11 PM
Heh. I am just terribly paranoid about my fish. My office temperature stays at a constant 76 during the day, but I cannot help but wonder if the temperature changes at night! Since I am not the one paying the electricity bill, I decided to get my little guy a heater. =)

Thanks for your interest! I am happy to hear your opinions and corrections on this write-up. Since I am new to the fish-keeping habit (however, seriously addicted), your opinions are important to me!

angc84
06-01-2009, 07:15 PM
Regarding the sticker thermometer, I honestly have not observed any inaccuracy with it. I have a long (lab) thermometer that I use for water changes. I've checked the tank temperature with it and compare the temperature to the temperature shown on the sticker a few times, due to curiosity. I've never seen any inconsistency.

However, if the accuracy of the sticker thermometer decreases over time, I will have to watch out for it!

Thank you for your input.

Little Embers
06-01-2009, 08:13 PM
Very impressive article angc84! :shappy:

Just to clarify this paragraph though:

PS: More obsessive people like myself would buy an ammonia/nitrite/nitrate test kit, and do a water change when an unsafe level of each components is reached. However, it’s really unnecessary for you to get a test kit, unless you’d like to use it as a mini science project for your kids. Betta fish is hardy!
Are you saying that is isn't important or needed to test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? It may give the wrong impression and people won't bother testing at all. I feel that it is a crucial part of fishkeeping.

angc84
06-01-2009, 09:20 PM
I agree. But I wrote the "guide" to my professor, who intends to keep one betta fish in a 2.5g tank. It's a bit harsh to ask him to make the (daily) water testing mandatory. The tank is not likely to have an ammonia/nitrite spike as long as he is feeding his fish minimally. Nitrate level should not overwhelm either, if he sticks to the weekly water change. It's a risky approximation, but one he is most likely going to do.

The "obsessed" part is merely a joke. I did not intend to down-play the importance of water-testing in that paragraph. I believe that fish-keeping comes with great responsibility.

Thanks for your criticism!

Little Embers
06-01-2009, 09:33 PM
Sorry! I did not mean it as a critism! I didn't mention that it had to be done daily...I was just concerned that there are some people out there that may read it and think it could apply to all fish tanks..

Again! it is a very impressive article and Thank You for taking the time to write it!

angc84
06-02-2009, 01:52 AM
No No!
I meant criticism in a good way! I criticize my mentor all the time at work. =)

Thank you very much for your support!

iZinedane
06-02-2009, 02:02 AM
good job! thumbs2:

bigbad-ratman
06-10-2009, 09:30 PM
quick question: do male betta's appreciate a "hidey hole" as much as some other smaller species?
my two male bettas were my first fish, and i am steadily making improvements to their habitats to make them happier, which brings me back to my question...

Sarkazmo
06-11-2009, 04:18 AM
You forgot plants! :)

Bettas LOVE Java Moss and Marimo Moss Balls. Both of which help with water quality and Marimos supposedly help keep down algae by using up the nutrients that algae depends on.

Sark

angc84
06-12-2009, 01:26 AM
good job! thumbs2:

Thanks!! xD

angc84
06-12-2009, 01:29 AM
quick question: do male betta's appreciate a "hidey hole" as much as some other smaller species?
my two male bettas were my first fish, and i am steadily making improvements to their habitats to make them happier, which brings me back to my question...

I personally think that Bettas are VERY curious fish. They like to explore all areas of the tank. I think that adding a "hidey hole" is definitely a good idea, as long as it's not made of stacking rock which can potentially catch Bettas' fins. I think a tunnel would also be a good idea! My bettas love going in and out of small holes between decors. =D

I know how you feel about wanting to make your fish happier. =) My boyfriend thinks I am insane but I am constantly buying new tanks/heaters/filters/food/toys for my three happy boys...

angc84
06-12-2009, 01:39 AM
You forgot plants! :)

Bettas LOVE Java Moss and Marimo Moss Balls. Both of which help with water quality and Marimos supposedly help keep down algae by using up the nutrients that algae depends on.

Sark

I personally have never planted any of my tanks. I am very paranoid about decaying plant/possible ammonia spike. A tank with one single betta has a very small bio-load and...ahhh I am just paranoid. =)

Plants do help with water quality, though, as long as they are thriving. However, I've never had algae problem with my Betta tank. It's easy to control feeding since Bettas are usually in their own tank and are fed pellets. The lighting in my betta tanks are also monitored with timer and the tank does not come in contact with direct sunlight.

Don't get me wrong, though! I love the looks of real plants and envy you guys who keep your plants healthy and growing!

All in all, I am also new to this habit. Your input is gratefully accepted. =D

Sarkazmo
06-12-2009, 06:24 AM
This is Sancho and his 1.5 Gallon live plant tank.

http://j4d7bw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p9iquF4fPMsDACEfdsy_6X5gV9p-kq33AiNEt6GcZ5Z2idvJ-qti9wxBZEzz8YtQitfpp1SMFlmzgEB4pewoVvkx0nXaylyax/Sancho%20and%20lily%20-%20100_4137.JPG

angc84
06-12-2009, 02:49 PM
Looks nice!
Is the tank heated? How do you avoid the plants from reaching the heater?

iZinedane
06-12-2009, 03:18 PM
great work! thumbs2:

Sarkazmo
06-12-2009, 05:29 PM
It's not heated now but it will be this winter. I'm going to find a heater that's small enough to fit in the Penguin 100 HOB for this tank. Also, due to the fact that we now have 5 males needing a tank of their own I may use bulkhead fittings and PVC pipe to connect a total of 6 of these Tetra 1.5 gallon tanks together and use a small canister or DIY wet/dry filter to clean them all. If I do the DIY wet/dry then one heater can heat all 6 tanks.

Or better yet...

5 more Tetra 1.5Gallon tanks: $100
8 clamp lights @ $7 = $56
8 GE 15Watt 6500K CFLs = $20
1 10 gallon blank for sump = $10
1 50Watt heater = $20
1 Marineland Penguin 150 = $25
1 Circulation Pump = $25
1 PVC solvent set = $7
12 Bulkhead Fittings = $60
Various PVC fittings = $10
PVC pipe = $15
40lbs Eco-Complete = $40
======================
$388 + taxes and incidentals = $420

You get 7 different habitats sharing a total volume near 19 gallons filtered by one Penguin 150. The 10 gallon "sump" is simply just another tank in the circuit. I think "Impressive" as a descriptor for this setup is a weak term. :)

Sark

Something sorta like this... heh

http://j4d7bw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p2x3U0xv22k0HBRgStwzmxmOIqskoBuwWYG9pBlX7ArIENS_ tR3IsamuiUMVWWhYwOfrI_CtuDQW6Xn1lowFLbWV2GcGbgbe3/Dream%20Aquarium%20Setup.JPG