PDA

View Full Version : Snails Snails! Snails!!!!

tetra_danio_girl
05-29-2009, 11:04 PM
Alright. It's happened to some of you guys out there, I just KNOW it!!!

;_;

I buy a few plants from the lfs, and end up with a stowaway or two or twenty or two-thousand!!!

At first, I saw one snail in my frytank and thought:

\O/ ALGAEEATERFORFREE! Whee!

Then I saw one other snail in the tank and thought:

^_^ ANDHEBROUGHTAFRIEND! Now he won't get lonely!

This afternoon, I counted seven on the glass and on the plants and thought:

¬_¬ Um... how many of you are there, and what am I going to do with you if you all start laying eggs and spawning and dividing and breeding and stuff?

Anyone else have an overpopulation of snails? Or even have one snail that turned into a bunch of snails? And what do you do with them?

mrs fishpatrick
05-29-2009, 11:06 PM
Yup I have lost of snails lately in 2 of my tanks, I am going to try and catch them and give them to one of the fishkeepers here that keeps puffers.
Tasty snack:shappy:

rich311k
05-29-2009, 11:39 PM
It happens, if you dont overfeed they will not over populate to badly. I rather like them tooling around.

Oscar_freak12321
05-29-2009, 11:52 PM
If you ever want to get rid of them, get a clown loach. They are slow-growing, eat snails nonstop, will not bother your fry, and are very pretty. The only downside is they get rather big.

Red
05-30-2009, 12:19 AM
If you ever want to get rid of them, get a clown loach. They are slow-growing, eat snails nonstop, will not bother your fry, and are very pretty. The only downside is they get rather big.

I disagree with this statement, they like groups first of all, and get large like you said. They feel insecure, and they might not even eat the snails. I agree with above, if you don't like the snails don't overfeed, or put a cucumber in there, then the next day with all the snails on it take it out. And if you want, just pick them out.

(sev loves he doesn't have to deal with this because of his loach tank.

Northernguy
05-30-2009, 12:41 AM
I agree with red!
Lettuce works well too.Use A net under the lettuce or cucumber to catch any snails falling.You can also just squish the snails on the glass.lol

Wild Turkey
05-30-2009, 01:14 AM
Agreed! As long as you dont overfeed they wont mass breed, if you want to take the population down use veggies, traps, or remove by hand

dblzz
05-30-2009, 12:23 PM
ive got 8 mts in my 75 gall for about 5 months now and they are under control they need warm water 77 to 78 and above and food (from over feeding) take one of them out they dont breed, once a month i through in some lettuce and count to see how many i got some of them are about 1/4 long and i dont have that problem at all just saying it works for me good

Shelz
05-30-2009, 12:30 PM
I actually wished I had some snails lol, I like a few roaming around myself. I do have a few MTS snails in a couple tanks but theirs numbers stay very low, so I guess Im not overfeeding too much. Id Like to find some ramshorns!!! :19:

dblzz
05-30-2009, 12:37 PM
i was at a pet store i guess its a box store called petland it just opened a week or two ago they had several types of snail in their i think they had them their its the only place that sells snails out here check them out if you got one i use the mts to stir up my substrate its sand

Wild Turkey
05-30-2009, 02:58 PM
You can usually get mts for free at petsmart in my area. You can always get ps for free though of course