PDA

View Full Version : Betta Sex Change.

LadyHatred
05-29-2009, 10:43 PM
Turns out that one of my female bettas decided she wanted to be a he.

At least thats what I think.

It's the only one that wont mate. She beats up the male pretty good. Thought perhaps she was too young or whatever.

She was recently in my "test" tank and upon being returned to the harem, did nothing but flare, chase, fin nip and lip-lock with the rest of em. I asked the lfs guy about this and he seems to agree that it very well could be a male. Cool if it is, it's one of my white bodied, red finned ones!

He/she looks exactly the same as the rest finnage wise. I have her/him in a tank of his/her own for the time being. Sort of at a loss of what to do. I hope she/he makes a bubble nest so that I will know for sure!

Oscar_freak12321
05-29-2009, 10:45 PM
It is possible to have a short finned male. You say this was a female before? Interesting!

LadyHatred
05-29-2009, 10:55 PM
I know its impossible! She has a gavid (think that's the name) spot on her too.

I'm used to their hissy fits, they do it every Saturday when I'm in there cleaning. This was constant harrassment though, torn fins, hiding fish. So I pulled her out.

sid101
05-29-2009, 11:03 PM
Got your own litle rupaul huh?

Sharon
05-30-2009, 12:30 AM
Maybe a Plakat Male?

Sarkazmo
05-30-2009, 12:48 AM
Sex changing does happen in the animal kingdom. There are many reptiles and fish that do this. Typically it happens when there's too many of one sex. One or more members of the group will undergo a biological sex change... I guess it's _possible_ that "she" became a "he"... unlikely but possible. More likely she's just chock full of EVIL!!! :)

Sark

Northernguy
05-30-2009, 02:19 AM
Got pics?thumbs2:

Little Embers
05-30-2009, 02:50 AM
Yes! it could be a Plaket betta mislabelled as a female. If you can see the ovipositor (egg tube) in the vent area, then it is definitely a female and you could just have a cantankerous female on your hands LOL.