PDA

View Full Version : New to group

Ladyjasmine
03-07-2007, 11:58 AM
Hello everyone! I am new to this group and I am new to breeding Betta's. I am searching high and low to find stock to start with. On a budget and I want to start small. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. ~Ginny

Lady Hobbs
03-07-2007, 12:37 PM
Welcome to AC.

Your budget most likely doesn't have to be too big for the fish stocking. Two or three males and a half dozen females should get you a ton of eggs in a short time.

But you need to be prepared for separate tanks for these males and a place for all the small fry.

Problem lays in what will you get for Betta fry? They sell in the stores for $3.50 so you'd be lucky to sell them for 50 cents each.

Ladyjasmine
03-07-2007, 12:55 PM
I read somewhere that your not suppose to use store bought Bettas for breeding.

Abbeys_Mom
03-07-2007, 01:41 PM
Welcome to the forum :)

cocoa_pleco
03-07-2007, 02:31 PM
I read somewhere that your not suppose to use store bought Bettas for breeding.

what else can you use? wild ones from thailand?

jeffs99dime
03-07-2007, 02:59 PM
welcome to a.c.

nikipate
03-07-2007, 03:45 PM
Welcome to the forum!:thumb:

Severus
03-07-2007, 03:48 PM
Welcome to AC

jweintraub
03-07-2007, 05:22 PM
Welcome to AC!

Betta_noob
03-07-2007, 10:55 PM
Welcome to the board!
And yes it generally frowned upon to breed pet store bettas unless you know they came from a local breeder and we're insanely "processed" as it were.
Because with petstore bettas you do not know their genetic back round, there for breeding them is like a crap shoot. Who knows you could be breeding for deformeties too.
Not to mention you don't know their age, they could already be past their prime, or have sat in a petstore long enough that their lifespan is shortnened anyway :/
Lets be honest most pet store bettas are not in the best of health. Not to mention they get shipped in horrible conditions. In baggies about this big:

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
------------------------------------------------ <----water line
-
-
-
- Betta in here
-
-
-
-

At least if you get them shipped to you from a breeder they will be better packaged.
Your best bet is aquabid.com

But unfortunatly I will say if you are "on a budget" getting into breeding bettas isn't exactly ...cheap.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
:)

crackatinny
03-07-2007, 11:37 PM
Welcome to AC:thumb:

*Sarah*
03-08-2007, 12:02 AM
Welcome to A.C.