PDA

View Full Version : Did my Barb lay eggs?

Marty
05-28-2009, 10:26 PM
So, we had our female tiger barb in our breeding tank for about 3-4 days, feed richly with live bloodworm, etc. Added a male yesterday and they showed all the signs (as read from multiple sites) of breeding.

This afternoon she is thinner and the male is picking and nipping at her, rather than the behaviour yesterday.

We have looked closely at the marbles and spawning mops, and are not sure what to look for.
We can however, see some sort of movement under the water. Tiny, almost microscopic, white hair-looking things. I dont know if this is poop in the current, wife says they move sporadically - almost like they are crawling. They are moving around the marbles.

I can't find any pictures of what it should look like immediately after spawning, or photos of progression. I cant get a photo close enough or of a high enough quality.

Any ideas what this may be?
Our tank levels are at the right temp etc for a cycled tank and breeding conditions.
I am worried that if I remove the fish, I will lose the cycle.

Thanks

Northernguy
05-28-2009, 10:33 PM
That sounds like planaria! Its harmless and every overfed tank has them.The fish actually snack on it.
As for your barbs,I have no idea.

Marty
05-28-2009, 10:36 PM
overfed tank.. hmm, come to think of it, the first couple days she didnt really eat too much of the bloodworm and they fell to the top of the marbles. I presumed she gobbled them up when they weren't there anymore.

They don't grow big do they?

troy
05-28-2009, 10:37 PM
That sounds like planaria! Its harmless and every overfed tank has them.The fish actually snack on it.
As for your barbs,I have no idea.
That sounds nothing like planaria. This is planaria. http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/images/graphics/planaria.jpg

Marty
05-28-2009, 10:39 PM
That sounds nothing like planaria. This is planaria. http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/images/graphics/planaria.jpg
Surely that is an image under a microscope because they are too small to see by the naked eye?

marksuttonjr
06-18-2009, 04:46 PM
Sounds like they did spawn to me. Not sure what you are seeing though because from what you describe it aint eggs. I would remove the fish and see what happens. You will either have young ones in a few days or you won't. If you are that worried about losing the cycle all you have to do is feed the tank. Small ammounts of finely crushed flake food will work. I personaly am trying to spawn some barbs in the tank that they are gonna stay in rite now. Yeah I will lose some fry when they hatch, but BIG DEAL. Tank is well cycled, and is at 80 deg. I just have to move my female out and feed her even better than what I have been feeding for a few days then return her to the tank.

If I move any of the fry after they hatch it will only be to help my 50 that I am gonna set up this weekend cycle. The filter has already been running in another tank for about a month to give me a jump start, but some good hardy young fish will help a lot. I was thinking about leaving this 50 cold water for a while to try to spawn some goldfish that I have, but decided thats what I am gonna do with the 35 hex that I purchased yesterday. My girlfriend wanted the goldfish, and I wasn't so sure about having them. Now she thinks that she wants her own tank so that helps me get most of them out of my tanks, and gives me a place to spawn them off. When the tank gets way too over crowded I'll sell them as feeders, and live bait.