PDA

View Full Version : A few betta questions!

Fraoch
05-28-2009, 07:01 PM
A few more questions as I plan getting a betta...

- I have very hard, very alkaline water here, very high pH. pH = 8.4, alkalinity = 300, hardness = 300, GH = 180, KH = 240, yes, they're all pegged at the very top of anything I used to measure it. But I understand bettas need soft, slightly acidic water. Is this too much for them? I won't be doing anything to soften the water or lower the pH, I simply can't guarantee that there won't be a swing during a water change and I would rather not do it. I would rather not get a betta if they won't be suitable for this water than fool around with chemicals that alter the water.

- I assume like any fish they need a cycled tank. Yet I don't see betta tank parameters (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate) ever mentioned on this subforum, just the requirement for water changes. Are parameters and testing not quite as important for betta tanks? I know bettas can survive in some harsh water conditions, but surely they are just as affected by ammonia and nitrite as any fish?

- I have a 5 gallon tank for the betta. I have a spare Top Fin 10 HOB with cycled media that would work fine here, but won't it create too much current? I understand bettas do not like current. Would a sponge filter be more appropriate? The Top Fin's flow is not adjustable.

- If a sponge filter is required, anyone have any ideas how to use used media to cycle it? I would have the following available: Top Fin filter cartridges (a floss bag that can be folded) and a bag of Bio-Max media from an AquaClear 20.

Thank you!

Northernguy
05-28-2009, 07:38 PM
Betas need a cycled tank like any other fish.
Does your lfs have the same water supply as you.I'm guessing you are all on a city water supply?It should be fine.
You can buy refill bags and stuff whatever you like in them.
I have an aqua clear 20 on my ten and the beta hangs out wherever he wants.The current has never been an issue.

Fraoch
05-28-2009, 07:40 PM
Does your lfs have the same water supply as you.I'm guessing you are all on a city water supply?It should be fine.

Yes, you can't escape that hard water anywhere in this region.

I have an aqua clear 20 on my ten and the beta hangs out wherever he wants.The current has never been an issue.

Hmm, the Top Fin 10 puts out less flow than the AC 20 for sure. However I would be putting it on a 5 gallon...

I'd like a HOB a whole lot more than a sponge filter. I could do without the air pump noise and I understand sponge filters don't have very good mechanical filtration.

Northernguy
05-28-2009, 07:45 PM
Set it up with the hob and see how it is.If the current it is too strong you can DIY something to slow it up a bit.A few members have made something out of a plastic bottle that fits over the filter that deflects the water to slow it down.

Sarkazmo
05-29-2009, 12:33 AM
Here's a post in the DIY section that I just made explaining how to make a flow diverter/diffuser. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll make it a sticky.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?p=527815#post527815

Sark