PDA

View Full Version : 1st time betta fry

nzgirl
05-28-2009, 10:26 AM
My crown tail male & female got together on Sun and it was amazing to watch them embrace, I couldn't see any eggs falling the 1st couple of times, then after about the 5th go, I saw a couple of eggs falling, and Prince grabbed them and put them in his bubble nest thumbs2: And tonight I caught a glimspe of the tiniest fry - there's not many maybe only 8, but it was theirs and my first time. So I've removed him into our community tank, and have given the fry their 1st drop of JBL Nobil Fluid Artemia. Does anyone know how often you feed them a day, bearing in mind there's only a handful? I'll put some pics up sometime :shappy:

joker_man
05-28-2009, 10:52 AM
I'd say 2-3 times a day.

how big is your tank ? it would be better if you put the spawns in a Betta keeper or a smaller container, so the babies can eat more by seeing the food more frequently. also it's easier to clean the water since the food can easily pollute the water if not eaten.

try to hatch some Baby Brine Shrimps when your baby Bettas gets bigger ^^
high in protein they are probably the most favored food for baby Bettas

nzgirl
05-29-2009, 04:52 AM
Thanks for that, it's a 10G tank, do you introduce the baby brine shrimp when the fry are about a week old?, also what Temp should it be, we had a power cut today & it's having trouble getting back up to around 80F, currently on 73F or 22deg C, and no more have hatched out.

Northernguy
05-29-2009, 05:02 AM
Congrats!:22:
I hope you post some pics soon!thumbs2:

Mvjnz
05-29-2009, 05:20 AM
Congrats:)

I'd suggest putting heaps of plants in the tank for them, preferably from established tanks, because then there will always be stuff to nibble on if you don't feed them enough. I have a splendens spawn and a smaragdina spawn, both hatched on the same day, but the smaragdinas are in a heavily planted tank and grow much quicker than the splendens which are in a breeding tank with limited amount of plants.

nzgirl
05-29-2009, 10:22 AM
some before and after shots. I've included the shot of my female (Safron) in her separator bottle I made, which worked well as last time I tried this, I just put them in together, and she released her eggs early (blush)

The fry are two little specks, sorry I don't know how to enhance photo or add arrows!

rich311k
05-29-2009, 10:28 AM
Congrats on the spawn.

Northernguy
05-29-2009, 02:43 PM
Thats a really nice looking beta tank.:22:
Have you got a full tank shot? I love all the plants in there!

mrs fishpatrick
05-29-2009, 02:54 PM
congratulations on the babies

nzgirl
05-30-2009, 08:56 AM
Thanks everyone, there's only a few fry as we only had about 8 eggs in total! So far can still see about 4 baby fry moving:ssmile: Here's a pic of the whole tank, as requested by Northern Guy. Cheers