PDA

View Full Version : Hermit crab causing problems

Baileyfrog
05-28-2009, 10:04 AM
My boyfriend recently acquired a 20 gallon saltwater tank from a neighbor who lost interest in it. The largest hermit crab in the tank has eaten 2 large and 2 small snails since he got it. I looked at pics online and he appears to be an Orangeclaw hermit crab (not 100% positive though; he's red and the tips of his legs are white. His eyes are blue).

He's a cool crab and fun to watch but we're getting tired of him eating all of the snails. Rather than trying to give him to our LFS for credit (which I'm not sure if they'll even let me do), I was thinking of moving him to a small tank of his own. The only spare tank I have right now is a Kritter Keeper with a small heater where I used to keep a land hermit crab (before I learned that those are not good habitats for land hermit crabs).

If I put gravel at the bottom and some small rocks for him to climb on, do you think he'll be fine in there? I don't have a filter system on it - will that be problematic? I want to get him out of the 20 gallon tank asap before he eats any additional snails.

travie
05-28-2009, 01:02 PM
That would probably be too small for the crab. Try to get at least a 5 gallon with some live rock and find a way to create some water movement for the crab.

Kyle
05-28-2009, 03:05 PM
Do you have extra shells in the tank? My hermits only seem to kill a snail when they want its shell to move into so I put about 20 empty shells in my tank and I really havnt lost any snails in the past few months

coachfraley
05-28-2009, 03:23 PM
I don't know if there is a local reef club in your area, but you could find somebody else to take it and give it a proper home.