PDA

View Full Version : indian almond laeves

that 1 guy
05-28-2009, 09:05 AM
i was just wondering how many people hear use indian almond leaves for there bettas

joker_man
05-28-2009, 10:45 AM
yah, i've used it before.

because the pH level of Betta's natural environment is a bit acidic. and the Indian almond leaves can lower the pH level slightly.

it also darkens the water to brownish.

what the leaves could do:

- used to treat bacteria infection (need confirmation)
- for breeding. Male fish likes a bit lower pH level, and they will start to make a bubble nest if they haven't before. also lower pH level makes bubble less likely to burst.
- Looks better (in my opinion =] , i like to watch my Betta with a darker color, makes Betta's color fresh in comparison)

that 1 guy
05-28-2009, 05:12 PM
ooh ok i gess ill buy some cuz imma breed both my HM males next month

Sarkazmo
05-29-2009, 12:39 AM
I've seen people selling the Almond leaves and banana leaves for use in Betta tanks. I have to wonder if peat moss wouldn't work just as well. I made a post about peat but no one's replied.

Sark

Mvjnz
05-29-2009, 01:55 AM
I use it, but never used to until recently. Not really necessary, but good for putting in the tank with new fish to reduce stress or fish that have slight fin damage to avoid infections.

that 1 guy
05-29-2009, 03:51 AM
yea imma get some to try out and sarkazmo im not surprised that no one replied to ur post bcuz it doesnt seem like theres alot of pplz that are on the forum

Sarkazmo
05-29-2009, 07:07 PM
From what I've read, the peat moss should be boiled for a little bit to make sure that you kill off anything that could cause issues in the aquarium. Also, carbon in our filters will remove the tea color from the water but the PH will still go acidic. If you want to keep the 'black water' look with the tea coloration then you have to remove carbon from your filters.

Sark

that 1 guy
05-30-2009, 03:37 AM
well dis is like the second time i herd about peat moss and the first time was wen u said it earlier so i wouldnt know anything about peat moss srry i cant help but i gess it does the same thing but i rather try IAL just cuz so many people say dat its so good