PDA

View Full Version : swim bladder disease already!

losaramic
03-06-2007, 07:49 PM
Hi, I'm new here and new to aquarium keeping. I thought I was getting off to a good start, watching a DVD and reading all the instructions about aquarium set-up and water treatment, etc. but since roaming your site and reading articles I realize that I have made several classic mistakes.
First I forgot that store help may give me bad advice. When it came to choosing fish I did not do my homework ahead of time. Despite being told that my tank was only 5 gallons (okay, so maybe THAT was my first mistake; now I wish I'd bought at least a 15 G tank) the girl at the store who seemed so knowledgeable sent me home with three telescope orandas. They are small now, but... Of course it was my fault as much as hers, and I've decided to set up a larger tank and keep the 5G tank as a quarantine tank.
Also, now within four days I see signs that one of the fish has swim bladder disease. Since the other two are fine, should I go ahead and try the pea treatment, or should I just stop feeding for a few days and see if the third fish improves? If I should give them crushed peas, could you tell me how many? Thank you!
:help:

Lady Hobbs
03-06-2007, 09:36 PM
Great, huh? Swim bladder can come from too much food, too larges of water changes and other things. Even too much aeration. Cook up some frozen peas, smash them on a plate and feed that way.

cocoa_pleco
03-07-2007, 12:57 AM
Great, huh? Swim bladder can come from too much food, too larges of water changes and other things. Even too much aeration. Cook up some frozen peas, smash them on a plate and feed that way.

exactly what hobbs said. Goldfish also need 20 gallons each